What am I missing about the popularity of some techno producers?

I figure if I had a million dollars I could hook that up.

1 Like

Vent thread.

4 Likes

I remember I had this Vietnam Vet friend in the late 90ā€™s who I would hang out with. RIP, but this one day he got in my car to go somewhere and I was playing some weird techno mixtape. Possibly minimal. Possibly Spiraltribe or something similarā€¦ and he looks at me with his perfectly trimmed mustache and says ā€œI think your radio is skippingā€. Story of my life.
Moral of the story. Your radio may be skipping.

17 Likes

Itā€™s 23:06 in Berlin. Weā€™re all just getting up from our coffins to get ready for queuing for four hours for a pop up gig in a dilapidated gas station.
If thereā€™s shots fired itā€™ll be hard to hear over the Function One pointed towards Karl Marx StraƟe

19 Likes

:thinking:

Enigmatic af

7 Likes

Tbf youā€™re talking about one tune from one account, generalising on the basis of that alone isnā€™t a realistic reflection of anything. That said, thereā€™s a lot of terrible shit out there and always has been.

3 Likes

Besides a Radio Show and 1 Event per year there was no real Techno.

I worded my post poorly. What I mean is that that track was just the last straw. There was a lot of them before, in similar vein.

1 Like

Fadi Mohem is amazing, although his recent releases are pretty uninteresting compared to what he made before he became a berghain resident

1 Like

There is tons. Not sure what the issue is.

My wife while liking SOME electronic music (usually funkier stuff, house, etc.) once told me that she didnā€™t like Techno because it just sounded the same, and had too much repetition.

First, I told her in a large part that is the point. More or less for a hypnotic state. However, I then put on some Plastik Man, and pointed out how things were brought in and out, where the subtle changes were, and what one listens for when listening to it. Variations of timings beating against each other, and all that.

She actually caught on quickly, appreciated all of these points because she hadnā€™t caught them before, and realized how thoughtful it can be. Actually seemed a bit excited when some of the subtle nuances came and went, and the slow changing of patterns.

Andā€¦

ā€¦itā€™s definitely not her favorite still. :smiley:

But she has an appreciation for it. Sheā€™s more a lyric and writing person really. It was nice though that she took the time to listen while I explained it.

I mean, she went out in the 90s as much as I did, but kind of put it behind her, and went back to her favorite other styles of music. Sheā€™s more a Rat Pack, Billie Holiday, Etta James sort of person. :slight_smile: Which is cool, because I like all that too.

Me, I can listen to Techno all day, but like to mix it up with some Djent, Metal, Grunge, Funk, Hip Hop, and then the Jazzy stuff too.

12 Likes

Massive generalisation-
Techno makes sense if:

Youā€™re the one making it.

Or:
Youā€™ve taken enough substances for your brain to get off on really loud very repetitious sounds.

7 Likes
2 Likes

While I agree with both of those massive generalizations, I do know a LOT of people that just enjoy listening to it like I do.

I listen to it while I work, as it kind of Zens me out, and before I know it the work day is over.

I listen to it while I build synthesizers, as it does the same as above, but also inspires me during the builds, and even inspires some new ideas for module designs.

I listen to it as I fall asleep sometimes, because it puts me in a nice hipnotic state before I fall asleep at night.

I would probably drop acid and go dance to it in a warehouse if I wasnā€™t so busy with all of the above these days. :smiley:

I listen to more minimal styles generally speaking, which kind of fade into the background as I do whatever it is Iā€™m doing. Itā€™s rare that I listen to really hard tech.

I also make Techno, but I donā€™t listen to Techno while Iā€™m making Techno. That would be silly.

:stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Fair. Iā€™ve heard some truly shocking wank lately coming from DJs I have respected and enjoyed in the past.

1 Like

Letā€™s be honest. ā€œPopularā€ musical genres used to change up every 5 years or so, from the birth of pop music. In massively general terms, rock n roll in the 50s, rnb, soul, the amazing variance of ā€œpopā€ in the 60s, funk in the 70s, then disco, also prog, early metal, punkā€¦ the whole post punk thing, new wave, 80s pop phenomenon, goth, electro, then hip hop, house, technoā€¦ into the 90s and ā€œindieā€, njs rnbā€¦

ā€¦and I am missing out a whole bunch of stuff here

Whatā€™s really changed since then? Of course ā€œgenresā€ (a term which weirdly and conversely I donā€™t like) have evolved into miriad micro- genres, and there has been some amazing stuffā€¦ but weā€™re still talking about techno for example as contemporary music 40 years (40!) after it began.

So, I take with a mahoosive, gallonistic serving of salt any claim around ā€œnewā€ and ā€œfreshā€ takes on techno. Yes, there have been some artists who have taken things forward, but weā€™re talking real exceptions here.

Iā€™m not entirely sure what my point is to be honest, save to say the above.

7 Likes

I am picturing you as a brain surgeon.

9 Likes

Some minor similarities :smiley:

Networks and Systems by day, soldering by night :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s you. Youā€™re not into the music and other people are. Thatā€™s OK. Two things can be true at the same time.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are popular, and to this day, I donā€™t get itā€¦

ā€¦thatā€™s on me :slight_smile:

9 Likes

It just means your Pre Frontal Cortex works, and so does theirs.

1 Like