"What 5 pieces of gear did you start out with back in the day"

roland mc303
yamaha dx200
access virus c rack xl
elektron machinedrum
crappy behringer mixer

7 Likes

:laughing: I got mine along with the VSS200 from a catalogue where you paid weekly, for 20 weeks, I think I had it for 2 weeks before coming to the conclusion that it wasnā€™t much good. Then my girlfriend at the time bought me a secondhand Boss DR-110 for Ā£25, as soon as I heard that I was all like ā€œthis sounds exactly like my recordsā€ :joy:

Shortly after I started reading Music Technology and Sound on Sound and found out about proper gear, within a few months I got a 303, 606, 202, 101, lovely!

1 Like

Ooo, it can be repaired: https://mrcircuit.co.uk

And they sell very well even today. I think I paid Ā£300 for mineā€¦that was all my teenage savings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers man, Iā€™ll look into that. Itā€™s got a non standard CV/gate interface and I never got around to building something to convert it to 1v/octave. Itā€™s on the ā€œIā€™ll get around to itā€ list. :see_no_evil:

• Desktop PC with sound blaster
  • Fruity Loops 1.3
  • Steinberg Neon VST
  • 2 x Gemini XL BD-10 belt drive turntables (with auto return gears :gear: ripped out by hand)
  • 2 channel radio shack mixer with bass and treble eq for the master only
7 Likes

Real djā€™s start on belt drives! My mates Soundlab DLPā€™s herešŸ™‚

2 Likes

Lol I had the Soundlab Dlpā€™s in about 1992 Technics wannabeā€™s haha. We had real ones in the Club I djā€™d at tho Bunker

1 Like

Spirit folio SX

Amiga (Octamed)

Bose speakers (awful!)

Yamaha CS1X

Cheap bucket brigade delay

2 Likes

Yeah! If you could mix and scratch on belt drives you could ace it on Technics! My pal had DLP belt drives then sold them and got the direct drives (DLP3?) before he managed to buy DJ Nipperā€™s old 1210ā€™s off him! Long story and a long time past but those self same decks are with me on long term loanšŸ™‚

1 Like

Alesis MMT8
Yamaha DSR2000
Zoom 1201
Fostex x28h
Yamaha Su10

2 Likes

Lol I feel old now (well I am haha) Was Djā€™ing from 1987 until 2001 had some great times back then. They just donā€™t do it like we used to back then, Iā€™m nearly 50 (July 13th) I just plan to spend the rest of my days making some music Bunker

4 Likes

Trying to reach into the way way back. I would say first pieces of ā€œrealā€ kit.

• Akai Remix 16 (a very trying way to learn sampling)
  • Tascam Porta 02 ( I canā€™t believe the market on those now)
  • Whatever the cheapest Boss Drum machine was back in 96
  • A for the time pretty ok computer I suppose. (I remember thinking, how the hell could I possible use a whole gig of HD space!)
  • Rebirth
4 Likes

Roland JV-1080
Alesis SR-16
Alesis MidiVerb
Tascam Portastudio
Some off brand electric guitar I paid around $80 for

Wrote some of the best music Iā€™ve ever made with that stuffā€¦

5 Likes

Lots of SR16 love here.
They still sell that Alesis Drum machine now! Was a nice box.
RMX1 getting lots of props too.

5 Likes

Yamaha YAS-23 alto
Selmer C* Hard rubber
Pack of LaVoz 1.5s

:laughing:

2 Likes

I still toy with the idea of getting an old SR16 again. I had so much fun with mine until it died. Was only using my RM1X last week for some 6/8 time sequences I was recording. Did the first lot on the DN then realised life would be so much easier using the Yamaha!

4 Likes

First 5 (over a few years):

Roland XP-50
Emu e6400
Waldorf MicrowaveXT
Novation SuperNova
Yamaha 01v

An SH-101 and TR-707 came in and out during that period (hated them both at the time ā€“ I know), but the above was the overall setup for awhile along with Cubase 5, then VST as the DAW.

9 Likes

Haha cool. Beating the elektron sequencer.

Use to love the AB patterns with fill button on the SR16, great feature to hit the fill at any point to drop it in ,followed by pattern switch on next down beat.

3 Likes

Nice 1st set up!
I still use my O1v now.

I wound up getting a 2nd one ridiculously cheap (like a few hundred dollars) and linked them up to work in tandem. Not long after I got another crazy deal for an 02r w/ meter bridge (someone who got it in an Ebay scam gone bad and looking to just dump it). I sold the two 01vā€™s which basically covered what the guy wanted for the 02r plus a little cash. Unreal

2 Likes