"What 5 pieces of gear did you start out with back in the day"

Amiga 1200 with OctaMed
Kawai K1 (shared)
Fender Jazz clone bass
Fostex 4-track (or was it a Tascam? Also shared)
Casio RZ-1 sampling drum machine (shared)

Edit: actually, my first musical device was a portable cassette recorder with tape over the erase head for making overdubbed sound collages when I was about 11. I really need to get one again.

7 Likes

I once got a bank loan for a Quasimidi Sirius, Quasimidi Raven Max and a Boss DR660… Think that was 1996… Loved the Quasimidi stuff had that stuff till 2003

2 Likes

The Raven was cool. I remember when that came out. They had it at the big Synthony showroom (biggest synth store on Earth back then, and luckily for me in the town in which I lived at the time). Zon Vern Pyles was working there at the time and was (is) a friend (if you’ve owned much hardware in the past three decades, you probably know his name - or at least his patches). In any event, I couldn’t afford to buy one, but it was a damned cool synth, I thought.

1 Like

Circa 1994-1995

Korg Poly800
Kawai K1m
Brother PDC100
Roland D110
Sequential Pro-One

Within a couple of months of ownership I added a bunch more. The D110 has been lent to a friend for approximately 21 years, in theory I still own it. The Pro-One remains in my studio like an old friend of 25 years.

So many of you began with really great setups!

6 Likes

It was fantastic sounding for it’s time. This is probably one piece of gear I regret ever getting rid of in 2003. Built like a tank, tons of great sounds onboard. Also I think about 1996 I bought the Roland MDC-1 and MVS-1 1u Modules. Later after I sold them I had the JV2080 and bought the JV-04/06 expansions which were more or less the same as the modules bar a few bits. Best times back then.

2 Likes

BOSS SP-303
KORG Electribe ER-1
KORG Poly 800 II
AKAI S2000
FOSTEX A80 + 4 Track Cassette decks

I bought back the ER-1 recently out of pure nostalgia. It’s pretty cool. The Poly-800 was ok too but i wish i had known better how to program it at the time.

From what i can remember the S2000 was terrible sounding, very arsh and metalic. I replaced it with an E-mu ESI-32 after a while and it sounded way smoother.

6 Likes

My first sampler was an Akai S20 which I think was similar to the 2000 but in a desktop format. After that I got an S1000 then S1100 followed by the S3000 I’ve still got. Always fancied an Emu back then.

2 Likes

Yamaha SU10 was my first sampler. I’m surprised to see it so heavily represented here. After that I made a massive upgrade to an optioned out Ensoniq ASR-X and then a Kurzweil K2000. I still own the K2000 and I wish I had the ASR-X.

2 Likes

Atari ST + Sequencer One
Yamaha DX9
Korg Poly800
Yamaha RX5
Fat Freebass 383
Tascam Portastudio
Yamaha FB01
Spirit Folio Mixer
Zoom 1201
Redsound Darkstar

Still miss some of ‘em. Certainly not all though.

4 Likes

Roland MS-1 sampler
TR 606 Drumatix
Zoom RhythmTrak RT-223
Boss RE-1000 rackmount
Behringer Eurorack mixer

3 Likes

Early 90’s

Sequential six track
Yamaha qy10
Akai s700
Korg m3r
Boss dr550
Cheetah Spec drum

Gradually sold them for

Roland Mc303
Yamaha Dx100
Novation Bass station
Alesis Mmt8
Ensoniq eps

6 Likes

After guitar and amp it was -
Yamaha MT44 4 track (was only a recorder so used with a Maplin 4 chan mixer :slight_smile:
Akai S01
Yamaha R100 reverb
Roland TR-626
Alesis MMT8

3 Likes

ooh, this is a fun thread, not exactly the youth corps of the forum I suppose.

Roland JV-1000 Workstation
E-Mu ESI 32
Soundcraft Spirit Folio
Akai DPS 12 Hard Disk Recorder
Aiwa portable DAT
all bought second hand, of course.

At some point there was also a Power Mac 7300 with no soundcard, running Cubase-Audio

3 Likes

PolySix (1984 my piano teacher didn’t want it, and being too young I had no idea how to use it for years)
Ensoniq Mirage (first new keyboard ever)
Model D (was “junk”, cost just over $100 to fix)
Too many Dr Rytms to remember.

I was gigging regularly from the mid 90’s with the Korg and D. Kept them till the prophet Rev2 and Subsequent37 were shipped.

6 Likes

Hmm…I had guitar stuff as a kid but first hardware was:

-Korg Triton with the expansion modules.
-JP8080
-8 Channel Mackie mixer
-Mackie SRM450s
-AKG cans of some sort.

Prior to that it was Rebirth, Deckadance, and I think Fruity Loops had something around that time.

I also remember some weird scoring or music notation program on our Apple IIGS in the 80s. I remember this laser sound it would play as the instrument. I would load it up with a pile of random notes and hit play then just laugh my ass off at the cacophonous mess of laser blips.

6 Likes

Roland DR-110
Roland DR-770
Roland Alpha Juno 1
Electribe ES-1 MK1
Zoom 1204 Rack FX

After some shuffling (all the aforementioned gear except the Zoom getting traded out for a 909, Microwave XT) a couple years later, I settled on the MPC-2KXL with 8 outs, zip drive, 32MB, and a mixer with FX. Definitely got the job done!

7 Likes

Alesis SL16? drum machine
Yamaha something or other synth (borrowed)
£5 acoustic guitar
AKAI reel to reel tape recorder.

2 Likes

Iv’e just been sorting my gear out, after a long while of trying stuff out to see what suits my needs I have ended up with this setup in 2020 nearly 32yrs after I started with the gear I first started this topic off with.
I’m quite happy with this setup for live sets. The mixer isn’t here yet but will be on Monday, that was the final piece of the jigsaw for me. I do have x5 TD-3’s (Total Overkill) but I can work with 3.

This is it!

Don’t think I need more of anything except more damn cables lol but this feels a good little selection for jamming and live sets.

6 Likes

1997ish
MPC2000
Nord Modular Key MK1
Sonic Foundry Software (I used to live across the street from their company)

3 Likes

:rofl:
I’m imagining someone saying that In the 90’s in a pub full of jaws dropping to the floor :rofl:

3 Likes