Weird MIDI Issue ; no midi out from sequencer

Hi,

So I’m facing an issue I just can’t resolve.

I’ve hooked up a Minitaur to the OT with midi and audio. I’ve already done that before so I know all the steps to make them work together. When I play notes on chromatic mode I have midi going out, I can see it on the Minitaur and it works, I get sound from it. But when I place notes on the midi sequencer and press play, the Minitaur doesn’t receive any midi. I’ve changed project and it worked in another project ! So I went back to the first one to check the settings but everything seems ok ; in MIDI>CONTROL CC OUT and NOTE OUT are “INT+EXT”. It just seems like midi notes doesn’t go out from the trigs/sequencer.

I really don’t get it. Do you have any idea ?

Could the project be bugged ? I really hope it’s not, it’s a big project I use for jaming live and I have a concert next week where I wanted to use the Minitaur hooked up to the OT…

Thanks !

Long shot but could the trans setting in arp be transposing the sequence into a note range the Minotaur doesn’t do?

Unfortunately no, I’ve just set the MIDI out to my soundcard MIDI in and I receive nothing in Ableton except when pressing notes on chromatic mode.

Hi,
Check this: Octatrack Tutorial: Setup Midi and Thru track

1. Try to check midi-channel to which you send midi-data in midi-sequencer (you have to confirm selection of midi channel by pressing the corresponding knob before exiting page).
  2. If I remember right, Minitaur has limited range of octaves. So try to use different pitches of notes in midi-sequencer.

When I play notes on chromatic mode I have midi going out, I can see it on the Minitaur and it works, I get sound from it.

Try to record sequence in chromatic mode while OT is in live recording mode (press Rec + Play).

Are you in Midi Mode? MIDI button light yellow?

It works in other projects, I know all the steps to make it work.

As I said I tried in Live, there’s no midi coming out of the trigs/sequencer in this particular project.

I did try to record a sequence but it doesn’t work. The sequence is being recorded on the OT but not played again.

Apparently Minotaur lights are on even with the wrong channels.

Yes that’s why it’s a problem, because even if I wasn’t using the right midi channel I would see it on the Minitaur. And it’s confirmed by the fact that within Ableton, there’s also no midi coming out from the sequencer.

But if I change the project, it works !

Just to clarify a bit ;

• Yes I am using MIDI mode
  • I’ve done this multiple times in the past so I know how to make it work
  • the problem appears in only one project, as I succesfully make it work in other/blank projects
  • I tried to check midi in Ableton and Max MSP, there’s nothing coming out of the sequencer
  • but there’s from the chromatic mode !
  • I tried “SAVE TO NEW”, nothing
  • I compared and matched settings between a new project (where it works), and the other project (where it doesn’t work)
  • I tried to change banks/patterns
  • I tried different midi channels (and yes, I am confirming the midi channel everytime)
  • I tried to simply shut down the OT and power again

I think that’s all, I don’t see what I could do more

Is there a way to “heal” projects ?

Velocity settings, lfos on velocity?

Muted Track or Track set to plays free ?

2 Likes

Track not muted, no set to play free.
I’ve desperately set trigs on every step to make sure I don’t miss a signal if there’s one.

+1 for Plays Free, difficult to see it.

And the sequencer yellow light is running in Grid Rec?

Yes

Can you copy a track in a working project and paste it the bad project to check if track settings are problematic ?

It might help to share the project file so others can see your settings.

1 Like

It is like to see somebody naked :smile: but sometimes I agree it’d be possible to solve problems with project files.
Does size matters? (project size of course)

1 Like

ALBUM2.zip (84.8 KB)

Here’s the project (don’t pay too much attention to it it’s a big mess haha)

I tried to copy/paste a track from a “clean” project to the “bad” one, and reverse but it still doesn’t work. The track from the bad one works in the clean one, and one from the clean one doesn’t in the bad one.

1 Like

Oh just realised ; do you need me to do a “collecting samples” ? It might be very heavy actually