Wanna see what's on your +Drive?

I’m happy to announce the first release of crunch/digitakt-manager - a web app for your Digitakt.

Right now, this will let you easily browse the contents of the +Drive on the Digitakt. As Elektron releases new firmware with more access via SysEx, I’ll be adding more features.

Want to use it?

• Nothing to install! Runs in any browser with WebMIDI… which is only Chrome! So run that.

• Hook up your Digitakt - USB connection, or via DIN MIDI and your MIDI interface. Turn it on.

• Navigate to: https://electric.kitchen/crunch/digitakt-manager/

• When you load the app, the browser will ask your permission for the app to use MIDI, click Allow:
    crunch-dt-midi-dialog

• Then just follow the big blue buttons in the app to get it set up and scan your +Drive.

Enjoy!

• Mark

Update: Version 0.8.1 is now up, reload to get it. Fixes two bugs people found that were causing their +Drive scans to stop mid-way.

Known bug: Doesn’t handle the character encoding used by the Digitakt properly, so some names will be mangled a bit.
Fun fact: Elektron Transfer doesn’t handle the character encoding either! (Ticket filed…)

62 Likes

Most excellent!

2 Likes

thanks for all your hard work, this looks terrific!

2 Likes

Woot! :cool:

2 Likes

Some folks on FB are trying this out and having some problems: You may find the scan never completes, and some folders will stay at 0 with no samples in them. When this happens, the progress bar never goes away. If this happens to you, and you want to help me debug - PM me. Thanks!

Update: Some folks PM’d me with debug info and I’m on the trail of the bug… But first a full day of work, so it will be a day or so for a fix.

Update 2: Fixed! Version 0.8.1 is now up, reload to get the new one.

3 Likes

Uiiiiii :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will check this out asap!!

Whoah nice work! Any possibility of something like this being made for the Rytm?

Great work.

Man, you are a nice person! Thanks a lot for your work.

Congrats!!! This is splendid work! Thank you!
:zonked:

2 Likes

Thank you for further cementing this being one of the best electronic communities. I definitely look forward to checking this out!

Can this work or be made to work for the Analogue Rytm mk1?
Thanks

1 Like

No idea… I don’t have one. I know that the SysEx format for Digitakt is quite different than for other units. But if the AK has such functions, then it is probably doable.

@Radeon

Also I think this might be worth pinning at the top of this forum.

great work!

Just confirming that it does not work with the MD UW+ MK II. I know it wasn’t meant to, but I figured I’d try, and I already see you have some questions about the other units :slight_smile:
It just hangs here:

All the MIDI communication would need to be rewritten for each machine, since as far as I can see, Elektron doesn’t use a consistent set of SysEx messages across machines (for similar features like +Drive listing). It’s also hard in that they don’t always publish all the technical details.

I got this far with the Digitakt because I own one and was willing to send messages at it until I could figure the message structure out. (I only broke a small part of my +Drive doing this… :hushed:). If I get my hands on another Elektron box perhaps I’ll be able to add that one, too… But for now, just trying to build more functionality for the Digitakt.

3 Likes

perhaps as a good will gesture elektron could send you the info , as a developer who’s helping to support the community it’d be great , assuming its in the os somewhere (it can make folders , dump samples , presumably read the mem used or send out error messages.)… the functionality on the transfer app is fairly basic…

:wink:

is there no way to intercept the messages sent from the transfer app ? (I’m not a developer …)

Oh there is, and that is how I figured out how sample transfer works (even though my app doesn’t do sample transfer yet…). But Transfer app does very few things, and so I had to find out about Directory scanning though stealthier means… :ghost: