Waldorf Quantum

i cant tell you why but i have a simple attitude to that: if it doesnt sound outstanding and powerful i dont have anything from endless modulation possiblities :wink: simple as that. sound matters most - i must hear and feel that somethingā€™s going on, that there is a tone coming from THAT single wave which makes me feel good - crunchy, warm or strange - whatever you wanna call it. name it: Character! This synth doesnt have that, it sounds like any VSTi. A problem all Waldorf synths share. They are clinically precise and they sound like that :wink:

Would rather go for a Nord Lead to have a good Digital Synth beside the tons of analog Synths we get today :wink: But thats only my opinion. Many wont agree i think :wink:

Yeah, totally you need to sell it. The quantum is going to be so much better than that old ass orange synth!

On an unrelated note I am in the market for a microwave xt!

2 Likes

Fair enough if that is what you are hearing. As I said I havenā€™t had a chance to hear it on proper speakers yet (plus the fact that this is clearly a very early prototype with no sound design put into it as well as possible unimplimented features) but from what I could hear it certainly has potential. I thought it sounded quite a bit more solid than the blofield, which I already think sounds pretty good for a pure dsp synth. The extra oomph that the analog path imparts is hard to quantify, but it seems like this is a very successful implementation of the concept. If the two have patch compatiblilty (or someone spends a butt load of time trying to get close to identical sounds on both) I would be very curious to see the A/B comparison of the two. I suspect the Quantum will just straight up sound better.
I also think itā€™s impossible to come to any real conclusions as to if it has soul or if it is as characterless as a vst until we have more than 45 seconds of sound from the unit. As a sound designer, the architecture excites me, and that is pretty much all we have to go on at the moment

yeah, this happens when different opinions and expectations meet :slight_smile: i get your point though.

you should checkout the various DSI Synths in the meantime. They offer quite a lot for sound designers and - at least to my ears - they definitely sound better than this thing :smiley:

I do have the PolyEvolver. I think itā€™s his best work as DSI. I would love a Pro12 but havenā€™t been able to get over the monotimbral aspect. But the wavetable implementation on the Waldorf is just so much deeper, on top of the granular and modal synthesis. I got super hyped when they showed the stereo inputs that can sample either to the wave table or the granular engine. I guess Iā€™m just excited because a knobby wavetable(and hopefully some fm as well) plus analog filter beast is on the horizon for 2017. I can only hope Elektron rides this wave(table).

3 Likes

Say wut? I really hate the withdrawn post thing on this forum. I think it is a detrement to the conversation.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t disagree more.
Waldorf sound much better to my ears than DSI. Owned most synths of both over the years to compare, but it means absolutely nothing as itā€™s completely personal preference.
This new synth is a completely different beast to anything released by either company previously though. The Pro12 is severely limited in comparison to this, but the Waldorf will no doubt cost more, so maybe not a fair battle.
I am still waiting for a Virus TI3 or Nord G3 as the anticipated ultimate digital synths, but those ships have long sailed I thinkā€¦
Praise the lord, no praise Waldorf for releasing a real mans synthesiser in these sad modern times of shitty little analog and digital kids toy gameboy looking gadgets bleeping and blopping away trying to be passed on as synths. This is a real mans synth. Are we men or not?

And yeah too right @knobgoblin it shits me too when everyone feels like they have to be so politically correct that they feel they need to delete their posts afterwards.
Speak your mind and tell us what you really think. We can take it. All good fun and just music shit anyway :totes:

6 Likes

God, what I would give for a G3ā€¦ with a finite amount of VCFā€™s and VCAā€™s as patchable elementsā€¦I am literally drooling as I type this

1 Like
5 Likes

Highly interested ā€¦ but letā€™s hear more sound examples. For that price I donā€™t want a pretty design, but a great and inspiring sound.

There might be some new sonic territory under the hood. It was mentioned that there would be a fourth synth engine with a ā€œphysical-modelling-likeā€ approach, which would not be supposed to sound like a classic instrument, but rather use the principle of pulses or bursts. This and the mentioned granular approach make me very curious. Unfortunatly the sounds in the presentations werenā€™t that convincing yet, but I guess, it could be like with the first presentation of the MatrixBrute.

The specs are very interesting, much modulation capability on board, 48 mod-matrix slots in the prototype and capacity for more. Letā€™s wait, what some of the sound-designer pros come up with later, after the software is finished :wink:

IMO this is - reading the specs - what I expect an up-to-date digital synth should be like :thumbsup:

This will be in Richard Devineā€™s space cruiser in no time.

2 Likes

This rules! Devo are one of those bands I always knew Iā€™d dig but havenā€™t got round to sifting through. I really shouldā€¦

I was typing a post on my phone - couldnā€™t read what I was typing and later tried to edit it and failed. I deleted the post. I canā€™t remember what I wanted to say. Just pretend the post never existed and youā€™ll be ok :slight_smile:

I the Poly Evolver was really cool but lots of folks complained about itā€™s multimbral functionality was somewhat broken.

Also the Pro12 is bi-timbral, isnā€™t it?

And Junkie XLā€™s too!

This synth is only 2 way keybaord splitable? Is it multi timbral via midi? Doesnā€™t look like it, so this kind of kills this synth for me and makes me think the nord lead 4 and a4 are better choices for me to be honest.

Didnā€™t they say two part multitimbral?

1 Like

:point_up_2: exactly!

8 Likes

Kool Iā€™ll let it go for 3gā€™s that should cover my new purchase! :loopy:

1 Like