Waldorf Quantum

Agreed. Been thinking Elektron would/should do something like this and V-Synth-ish ever since I got in to this stuff. Maybe they still will…

Maybe it’s time to sell my Microwave XT to finance this? :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m thinking this is an updated XT with granular capabilities. IDK the XT is one of my favorite synths it would be hard to get rid of.

3 Likes

This is what a synth in 2017 looks like! If a rack/desktop model ever surfaces, I will be very, very tempted. This might replace all my digital synth needs, the scope seems vast.

4 Likes

I guess i could always just go for a micro granny!

The price tag def puts it in the boutique catagory. Much like this:
http://nonlinearlabs.de/product/c15.html

nnnoooouuu! :scream: :grin:
i wouldn’t do that…the XT is a great synth and still, after all these years, it has its own space in the music making process i think (at least for me that is :relaxed: )
this new synth still needs to be finished and who knows how long it’ll take them to have it working bugs free (which…mh, considering the complexity of the machine… :neutral_face:) and you could probably get something similar with few different machines that wouldn’t cost that much in the end so mh…either way, it’s going to be tooo expensive for my pocket anyway :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah, been dreaming of something like this for quite a while. Very surprised they actually made it. I thought Waldorf would stick to smaller items and soft-synths forever. But… now that it’s actually here and not just a daydream… I don’t think I’m flagship synth buyer material in general anymore. Price-tag and potential bugs and issues make me very nervous. Maybe the eventual rack version or better yet, a “Jr.” version for me?

Just call me Captain Buzzkill, lol. Thanks and good night. I’ll close the door on my way out. :no_mouth:

You want to pay 20k for that?

Ahh ok, they’re built to order. Good luck with that, I’d say.

Yes, the price is on the steep side, but then again, I’ve already spent that much on two thirds of a black trinity :panda: 18 months in the installment pen could do it for me. But first I’d really have to be convinced.

1 Like

i guess it will be more about 2699,-- , my bet … but on the other hand Waldorf placed this synth within a price-range where other companies like DSI, Moog and the whole modular-business is swimming around.

and this synth could provide the prototype-dna for digital offsprings like the MicroWave XT(k)

Thanks for being there for me in my moment of weakness. :joy: The orange crush is here to stay!!! Hahahaha

4 Likes

Unfortunately Euro. Having nightmares about the price tag in AUD… :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll agree that digital filters have come a loooong way, but go listen to sound examples of a uwave and then a uwave II. The girth of the analog path really makes those digi osc shine. I’ve come to the conclusion that digi osc + analog vca/vcf is my favorite sound. This is basically my dream voice architecture for a MnM follow up.

2 Likes

Fully agree with this. I owned a Microwave and it did really produce some very interesting, dynamic and impressive timbres, despite lack of any onboard effects. And just the sheer volume of the synth was insane. Unfortunately, the UI was so poor with it’s handful of buttons and one alpha dial. But Waldorf quite obviously fixed that with the Quantum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My guess is this will be more money than the DeepMind 12 but less than the DSI OB6/PRO6.

He already said it was 3 grand in the vid

1 Like

Prophet VS, uWave, and even the humble esq8 are all great examples of this paradigm. It’s the last untapped retro niche to fill. We’ve been inundated with analog synths over the last few years, no shortage of pure digital synthesis, but no one has really dived in to give us really amazing hybrid instrument other than the prophet 12, which while great sounding, is inflexibly monotimbral. What good is it to have all that polyphony limited to one sound? It’s frustrating because the polyevolver has the best multitimbral setup ever. Individual stereo outs per voice and any combination between 4 voice polyphonic and 4 voice multitimbral

3 Likes

they’d better taken the Blofeld, revised its Synth Engine to be modern, put ONE analog Filter in it and sell it for 800 €. Because, frankly - apart from the different OSC Models and analog Filters i dont see where this thing is different to their 300 € Synth. It doesnt sound different, thats for sure! Patches sound cheap imho. Prolly need some talented Sound Designers first. 3000+ € for “just a bit more” Digital Synth Models - nope, definitely NOT worth it!!

2 Likes

Don’t know how you can classify granular or modal synthesis in a knobby box as “just a bit more”. There is going to be worlds of sounds to be discovered in just the osc section. Throw in digital waveshaping and filtering before you even hit the VCF/VCA and you have a seriously powerful sound design tool. If it has FM in the mod matrix the universe will implode. Haven’t even listened yet on real speakers but I know just from the architecture that this synth is going to be pretty special.

4 Likes