Waldorf Quantum

:joy:

you killed ME - right now! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:joy:

Letā€™s forget about the analog components on the Quantum for a second. Whatā€™s appealing to me about it is the different types of osc models available in a hardware synth with lots of hands-on control, since what is on offer here has largely only been in the domain of software for the last decade+. To the best of my knowledge, the Blofeld isnā€™t capable of doing nearly as much in regards to digital synthesis as what is on display with the Quantum, and thatā€™s important and the reason why it is appealing. Then add in the two analog filters having flexible routing in the signal pathā€¦this is going to be a dream for sound design.

Iā€™m not bothered in the slightest by the lackluster sounds so far. Itā€™s clearly early days regarding the software side of the synth, and Iā€™ll judge the sound with a more discerning ear once thereā€™s an imminent release date. At least Waldorf have managed to actually produce a display model that is making sounds, which is more than I can say for some other companies lately. :cheeky:

5 Likes

This is pretty much exactly the synth Iā€™ve dreamed of for yearsā€¦ and of course I wonā€™t be able to afford one. Regardless, I hope Waldorf succeeds with this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Slightly off topic but I really hope this technology is shoehorned into some kind of drum synth from Waldorf.
Someone really needs to release a drumbox with next level giblets inside.

Yeah I said itā€¦

Quantdrum? Oh thatā€™s terrible isnā€™t it? :joy:

1 Like

Looks lovely. Another instrument that spoils us synth heads. Its a bit rich for me cos tbh i wont be able to make the most of the possibilities of this beauty. I havent the talent.
I think price points are a little moot to the manufacturers of instruments like thisnow because they know if they have a great product it will sell to professionals and well heeled amatuers alike.
I for one am glad that there are companies willing to design a synth to their vision and spec and then worry about bringing costs down.
Our world would be a worse and comourless place without such people. So hats off to em.
Ill have one when i win the lottery :slight_smile:

I am not sure, I thought the Pro12 was only monotimbral but Iā€™m probably misremembering. The PolyEvolver is great though, simply assign different midi channels and sounds on the voices you want, then you can take the separate stereo outs for the voices you want separated. Easy and super flexible, canā€™t see how anyone would think itā€™s broken in that regard.

Regarding the deleted post, sorry I wasnā€™t meaning to call you out at all, just something that irks me about this forum generally.

I have been dreaming of an Ć¼bersynth myself. Have been following modal 002 and almost bought an used p12. But this looks definitely interesting. Itā€™s priceyā€¦ but if this gets great reviews, Iā€™m ready to bite the bullet. Sampling and granular sound really forward thinking for a hardware synth!

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure that most Waldorf Wavetable synths are multi-timbral - even the Microwave with its 8 voices handled multis with seven timbres.

1 Like

Recently sold my Pro2 :weary:
Always fancied the P12 Module, unrelated though, but now with the price of that slender beast rising think I might see how this Waldorf angle splinters into the market, itā€™s a sign though no mistake.
I really think the Quantum and the Nord Stage 3 are a jump in plataue.
Yeah, expensive, but this is the new breed, we are on the edge of something here, check your carabiners and water supply!

Yeah, the p12 is defintiely bi timbral and pretty straightforward to use for that functionlaity. The main issue with the multi mode on the poly evo was the lack of ability to save sounds on their own while in multi mode. Youā€™d have to overwrite an original program location and I dontā€™t believe you could edit and save an indiviual program while in multi mode.

As a fan of the p12, this waldorf covers some very diffferent ground. They took the nave moreso then the blofeld and created a very impressive hardware version.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, now I remember. I overwrite stuff all the time and remember having to jump back and forth between program and combo. A little tedious, but still super flexible and easy to set up once you have your sounds dialed in. It hasnā€™t been in active use for a few years, but I am hoping the digitakt sequencer could revive that love affair

1 Like

I still feel like a 12 voice synth is a bit of a waste with only 2 layers of multitimbrality. Iā€™m just so spoiled with Elektron instruments and think everything should be designed around sequencing tapestries of monophonic synth lines and four note block chords :sweat_smile::new_moon_with_face:

At any rate, this synth has me hyped in a way that I havenā€™t been in a long time. Canā€™t wait to see how it develops.

3 Likes

I would definitely wait and see how the build quality is on this thing before paying such a high price.
My Blofeld is plagued with quality issues leading to some heartbreak. Pretty sure it was an early model.
I recently scored an Microwave XT rack and its much better build quality not to mention overall sound.
Heart break totally gone now.
Im a hardcore Waldorf fan and will be super stoked if this is built really well like a Nord. Exciting times indeed. For you folks thinking of selling and XT for this I dont know.
Might want to think that one through. Like the NordLead 1 the XT is a classic Digital synth. I would never sell it. No rush if the Quantum is as good as it looks it will have a long production run.

yep. https://youtu.be/zTbtbvPxHxM?t=5m20s in German, but pretty much confirms this - this video also shows off the UI with the knobs being illuminated according to mod matrix routings etc. pretty cool!

1 Like

thereā€™s one thing fer sure, there is lots of ā€œdont have a clueā€ in this thread alreadyā€¦how can one form such a strong opinion on something not released and frankly, probably well out of their budget.
see dude iā€™ll give you a little tip: with a synth you dial in ā€œyourā€ character, if you aint got one then you need someone else to do it for you. , awaiting the defensive outraged reply.

1 Like

Nice find, so Devine has slammed it already!
It does look like a serious wedge of power, that costs a wedge of cash also.
Best thing about it - not a bit of wood in sight!

Thinking to cancel the DT and save up for this, reckon itā€™s future proofed for a whileā€¦

Well done Waldorf, well done.

2 Likes

F.U,:skull_crossbones: i got proper wood sides on my Q !!! lol !!!, the originals are painted formica and yellow, and yellow looks shite when dirty, funnily this new ā€œQā€ looks a tad boring (to me), wont have to change out the side tho.
currently sizing up what to sell to acquire this,

1 Like

I just canā€™t stand wood on synths!
Itā€™s not so bad when it matches the synth but just wood on there makes me really unhappy!
Either way I love all Waldorf synths, whoever owns the company etc.
Just wish my brother bought the Phoenix when he had the chance, Ā£999.

I should hit him with a plank of wood for that screamerā€¦

3 Likes

i had a chance to buy a Q rack when they were only 6 months old, and it was 5 minutes from my place, checked it out, didnt buy it, took me another 14 year before i got one, (keyboard)ā€¦;( i did have a very formidable set up then, so i have 1 excuse) The Q is an extraordinary synth so i expect this offering to be the same and better

1 Like