Waldorf Quantum

Is that just a standard IEC lead ? If so just get another.
If it’s captive though I’d just cut the plug off & wire a new plug.

I do the latter all the time when I get gear with two-pin euro type plugs fitted - a lot of places (Thomann for e.g. ) now ship such gear to the UK with a great big adaptor plug thing, but it’s honestly easier to wire a new UK 3-pin plug.

1 Like

From the waldorf forum

Hi Rob

My understanding is that any three pin standard UK kettle lead will be fine. The Quantum draws less than 100W so a 3A fuse would be sufficient but I don’t think it’s critical. If it draws more than 3A there’s something wrong with the synth! Having a higher rated fuse will make no difference.

P=VI
Power (watts) = voltage x current

or power/voltage = current (plus a bit for luck, usually 25%) so way less than 3A

Hope you enjoy it.

No doubt the official answer will arrive tomorrow!

Been shopping all day in the UK, can’t find any 3A kettle leads however there’s plenty of 5A in Curry’s/PC World etc but I never bought one just in case. So day 2 and haven’t had my Quantum even switched on… UPS drivers damaging boxes grrrr

1 Like

5A should work fine. That’s just the max capacity of the cable. It’s okay for the cable to be beyond the power rating. You just don’t want a cable that isn’t rated high enough.

More likely the handlers at the depot.

5 Likes

Ah thanks mate I’ll pop out and get one then. Just didn’t wanna chance it on an expensive synth hehe

Rob

1 Like

yep - 5A is fine.

1 Like

Ok so tonight I’m going all out sound design on Quantum, so far I’ve just been learning the synth playing with it but I want to know if I can empty the synth of all presets in one go to start fresh instead of having to INIT all patches one by one?

Rob

1 Like

Two really well done videos that compare the Blofeld to the Quantum.

Feature by feature the pros and cons of each.

Seems a bit odd to compare two synths that from one perspective are so different. Fortunately the creator of these videos, is extremely knowledgeable of both, and so in the process of comparison does a tremendous job talking about the features that each synth has in detail.

Plus the video photography is gorgeous.

1 Like

Which one costs more again? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I reckon it would have been a better comparison between Nave and Quantum

i would rather like to see a Blofeld MkII with new filters, more knobs etc

4 Likes

After over then years i expect a Blofeld II not just a MKII. Luckily, mine never had any issues, even the knobs still work properly.
More knobs would be cool. Or maybe the Quantum engine with digital filters instead of the analog ones, in form of a desktop unit…

3 Likes
  • Synchronizing arpegiator
  • Good samples management. Something like loading from a SD.
  • A few seperate outputs
  • More polyphony

you are right. i think the form-factor of the Blo could be sufficient

2 Likes
1 Like

Trying to INIT my unit with the SD card and it’s not happening. Copied INIT followed procedure but all factory content still there.
Any ideas?

Rob

2 Likes

Man I love this guy. Sounds like a nerd who’s stoked about his Magic deck.

3 Likes

So it really does have FM NOW.

Really innovative and experimental the way that this opens up the possibilities with FM, with a open and “modular” approach.

What is really possible with the Quantum? – Stay tuned and we’ll see.

So i live in the USA and the Quantum here is available for $4300. But i notice if i go to a German seller, let’s say Thomann.de, and get the price there for the USA in US dollars is $3800. (The prices have been this way for quite a while.)

So the $500 difference – is that just a “Korg tax”? Does anyone know?

I haven’t contacted a sales person at Thomann yet but if i can buy it through them i don’t see why i wouldn’t choose to save the money. Even adding in the cost of shipping, and money xfer costs, the savings would be significant.

I suppose one down-side with buying overseas might be warranty service if i ever needed that, but the savings still seem worth that too.