Waldorf M

This wasn’t a request but maybe one day some youtubers (like Starsky) will do it. I was just curious.

My comparison based on sounds I’ve heard (don’t own either):
Waldorf M - GAS
Hydrasynth - No GAS

I hadn’t paid attention to the price though so I somehow thought that the M wasn’t quite as expensive as it is. So unless something unexpected happens (like a trade), I’m not gonna get the M at least until 2023 (nogear new year).

6 Likes

There is a lot to like about the Hydrasynth, but i sold mine to get the M.

3 Likes

Maybe that’s what I’ll do when the time comes cause clearly the M sounds fantastic.

Edit : The HS workflow is hard to beat, though.

1 Like

Got to say i love my M. Sounds like nothing else of my sound toys and it oozes quality

1 Like

I sold the Peak and Analog Four to finance mine. Kept the Hydrasynth though.

1 Like

Yeah. Loved the workflow and keyboard.

I also sold the Peak. I’ll miss that one more than the HS. But both of those are pretty easy to buy back if I want.

1 Like

I have exported using the demo (that’s why I suggested it).

Okay, I need to revisit it! I thought I got a message saying export is disabled. Sorry for possible misinfo.

1 Like

You mean like that Waldorf M vs Microwave XT video?

I think those two videos show clearly why you need both:

The Hydrasynth is a modulation monster. A Sounddesigner Dream Tool. Nasty digital but also warm otherworldly sounding with a huge palette. Featurewise it beats the M by far. And is much lower in price too.
But…Hydrasynth can’t sound like that:

Plus it’s a much more direct UI plus that sound. Starsky did a great job in the video to capture the character.
Here’s a test track I did with M in a musical context. Some simple noodling.

4 Likes

Yeah, go and double check!
(I used it quite a while ago)

1 Like

Hah, okay! It’s a weird one – the “export all as 8-bit (.256)” option works, the rest are disabled in the demo :slight_smile: Both kind of right.

Thanks for your replies. I’ll watch those tonight. You can now return composing your new album.

M sounds so good. Some nice sounds in this:

It’s hard to tell myself I don’t want one. It clearly has something the other wavetable synths I use don’t have.

4 Likes

I mean they are both quite awesome synths that both give a lot, but also very different things.
Check this out. Not possible on M, imho:

2 Likes

Great, thanks for checking!

[Serum must be among the most successful VSTi, no? I assume its creator can forgive us this small misuse of the demo…]

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that a part of the magic Sarah Belle Reid uses in that video of the Hydrasynth with the Sensel Morph, comes from the rich use of MPE in the control of the HS.

There is no MPE interface currently with the M.
Am i correct, i could find nothing on it in the manual ?

Generic comparisons between complex synths is meaningless to me. You can talk about single features, but beyond that to me it’s what you do and how you use a complex synth that matters, and the Synth A vs Synth B sort of comparison breaks down.

2 Likes

not a big issue, I also have a PC but everything music is on the mac.
What kind of file type you used to save the wavetable?

Thank you

There’s nothing like anything from the Wave line of synths really. There are synths that do similar things, but in the case of the Waves, it’s the whole packages, and it doesn’t really matter which one you get. They’re all amazing and distinct.

3 Likes