Wajatta / Tejada on NPR: “Art shouldn’t be painful”

Real cool interview:

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/28/810001475/art-shouldn-t-be-painful-how-wajatta-combines-improvisation-and-production

Tejada is an OT master.
I remember seeing them on Conan a couple years ago and he used the OT with either a pair of DN’s or a DT+DN.

Interesting to see now that they have more material, the stage setup is evolving. Avalon, Push 2, etc…

12 Likes

Man a few years ago I saw Reggie Watts perform in a small club in Seattle on 4/20. It was one of the most sincerely mindbendingly funny evenings of my life.

5 Likes

I bet it was!

I’ve never seen him live but I did pick up a live record he recorded at Third Man when I was down in Nashville.

Never have I experienced such a combination of head bobbing and gut busting laughter to a single piece of music. Dude is brilliant.

They make a great pair

3 Likes

Awesome. That looks like a Model Samples there in the first vid maybe. Went to see him about 8 years ago. At the time I had no idea who he was but a friend convinced me to go. One of the funniest evenings I’ve ever experienced. And I spilled a beer all over the front of my shirt that night. Still have the shirt and the stain. Good times!

1 Like

Avalon.

Wajatta - what a great pairing!

Tejada is so consistently good.

Watts is nuts in the best way.

2 Likes

Ahh I’m on the train and couldn’t watch the vid. Good eye.

OT+DT+DN. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great interview. Almost pushed me over the edge to try to build a Deckards Dream. I don’t really need it though. :smile:

7 Likes

Build it then truly be pushed over by the process :frowning:

Yeah looked like a beast for sure.

1 Like

the part when the Avalon comes in :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Tejada has a micro course coming up in a few days that some folks might be interested in:

https://www.kadenze.com/courses/electronic-music-production-with-john-tejada/info

8 Likes

Hrm, i’m interested in the site and it looks legit but wish they had a way to bookmark courses and their contact pages aren’t configured correctly.

nice. I learned about him here in this forum, he quickly became one of my favorite electronic musicians.

1 Like

It’s definitely legit, the link comes from Wajatta’s official facebook, and John is a professor at CalArts.

But I hear you on the clunkiness of so many online learning platforms.
My UX/UI Design class is using Canvas/Instructure and it has been a test for all of us to learn so many usability concepts that are so obviously ignored on the very platform that is teaching them to us! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I wanted to give some feedback that’d have me buying multiple courses but their contact page endpoints might be misconfigured in Salesforce. I ended up having to look up their support email on their Twitter :slight_smile:

Tejada’s got a new solo album dropping Feb 26th.
The first single is already out,

and previews of the album are on Kompakt’s site.

With his new album, Year Of The Living Dead, Vienna-born and LA-based producer John Tejada finds a blissful extended moment of balance between the new and the familiar. Anyone who’s followed his career to date, which has included four previous albums for Kompakt, outings for storied labels like Plug Research, Playhouse and Cocoon, and numerous remixes and collaborations – most recently, his Wajatta duo with actor and musician Reggie Watts – will immediately sense the warmth and eloquence that Tejada brings to his gilded, pliant techno and electro hybrids. But there’s more here, too; an explorer’s glimmer in the producer’s eye, as he gets to grips with new ways of working and being, while offering a reflective opening for the listener, something echoed in artwork by graphic designer and ‘contemplative artist’ David Grey.

“The album was started using tools I was unfamiliar with, which became an interesting exploratory process,” Tejada says. “Staying away from the obvious and having to re-learn simple things was a fun challenge.” You can hear these new creative pulsions pushing the eight tracks on Year Of The Living Dead ever-forward; the album has an unique cast, and though there are trace elements of the genres Tejada has indulged previously, he’s never quite put them together this way before. There’s the dubwise glitter sprinkled across the moody opener “The Haunting Of Earth”, the kind caresses found amongst the deftly woven textures of “Sheltered”, and the churchy melancholy, all hymnal and golden, of “Echoes Of Life”.

Year Of The Living Dead also speaks obliquely to its moment, though Tejada works this implicitly, allowing the strange circumstances of 2020 to cast their inevitable shadow without being obvious or didactic. “The production process began right before lockdown and continued through what felt like a very serious time for all of us,” he recalls. “Not being able to see or touch our loved ones made me feel we are all like ghosts. We can observe from a distance but cannot really be there. We are isolated and alone.” And yet, Year Of The Living Dead’s tenderness offers an out for that anxiety and loneliness, its intimate immensities gifting the album a redemptive and compassionate core. Compact and glistening, Year Of The Living Dead sculpts unassuming beauty.

3 Likes

There‘s a video on YT of Tejada performing Farther and fainter on the A4 that I‘m currently too inebriated from drinking a large bottle of belgian beer given to me by a dear french friend to search for which I can only recommend you watch. What a masterpiece - both the track and the beer, that is.

3 Likes

yea, it’s a classic.
OT+A4

5 Likes