Wait for new Octatrack or plunge?

Your gf summed it up nicely. Most importantly, this is the bit to really listen to:

Use that year to get past any frustrations. OT complexity is overblown imo. Yes, it has lots of quirks and things that will leave you baffled. At points there will be no sound and you’ll feel like it’s broken. But it’s, 99% of the time, user error. It’s a very humbling machine but it’s totally worth the time put in to learn it.

3 Likes

Too old, or too young to be a classic? :content:

Wow. The last comment I read about it here was “now I’m sure I don’t want it again”.
Mystifying?

1 Like

It is but then someone like @Microtribe comes along with something like this (from another thread) and it makes so much sense:

1 Like

You answer to yourself … it’s complexity and not complicated.

IMO …

• complicated takes a lot of time to dig in and to understand a machine, which was not designed to be linear, has a couple of cross-functioning features, is not documented well, offers too many parameters, which are not described well enough, and which seems to behave not really predictable in many cases …
  • complex can be a machine with many different functions and options, but each of those functions or options are doing a thing, which can be understood and used easily, can be combined or not, used or not …

IMO OT is complex … something like the Lyra-8 or the T-Resonator are somehow complicated :wink:

There is no reason to shy away from complexity … just take one step after the other, learn the basics of functions you would like to use first first and go from there … :wink:

1 Like

if people stopped asking if there’s going to be an OT mk3, would we even have this forum any more?

it won’t happen any time soon, if ever. if you want one, just buy the damn thing.

6 Likes

The concept of buying “future proof stuff” makes sense if one can live forever.

1 Like

I am not sure I understand this comment. The video I was watching was a good one, and helpful, but it also showed that the OT has more menu diving and complexity than I had originally thought.

I did not end up canceling the order, partly due to my girlfriend’s sensible and supportive advice, and also due to knowing that I will give myself time to come to terms with the complexity and may come to enjoy it if it makes sense later.

2 Likes

haha I love redmeansrecording but that video was crazy :laughing:
I love how the timbre Jeremys voice is the perfect score to whatever he’s doing at that moment

@michaeljk1963 Even though its complex its not hard to get started imo, i’ve only had it for 10 days ish so far. Aside from the fact my unit had a defect and a broken CF card (vendor shipping replacement OT though), its been a breeze making music and finding ways to perform existing music on the OT.

The complexity is more that the device has a lot of depth to it than it being hard to learn. You’ll be chopping samples, making patterns and playing with the slider your first night with it.

The menu diving isn’t too bad imo. In general every ‘live editable’ parameter isn’t inside a sub-menu, just setup options. Stuff like configuring an effect, choosing a sample or choosing which input to record and how to record it takes some menu diving (literally two recording setup pages) but actually tweaking an effect or sequencing or recording an input is a click away. You can tell they put some thought behind what parameters a person would be changing live vs what they would be setting up ahead of time. Even the sub-menus are only a double click or a function click away.

1 Like

especially this entirely unforgivable quote right here:

OT their third device? doesn’t include the Machinedrum?!? c’mon man!!!

1 Like

I’ve noticed too that he didn’t even mention the Machinedrum.

can never get enough of his vids though, he’s one of the few that I watch whatever he puts out…
I don’t do drugs but basically if I’ve taken too much Ricky Tinez then I take a Jeremy, or if I’ve taken too much Jeremy I take a Ricky Tinez…
uppers and downers

1 Like

I mean, it’s the first Elektron device with a sequencer… dude needs to do his homework!

1 Like

this is perfect

Love it! I will try to keep that in mind. And when I need something neither up or down but just straight to the point, I’ll head over to MacProVideo for some Thavius and then go watch Loopop.

1 Like

This is a helpful way to look at the thought behind the menus and makes sense from what I’ve seen so far. Thanks.

I’ve been having the same thoughts. Just got a Roland MV1 and the last piece I want for my setup is the Octatrak. I’m thinking I can pull it off around Christmas but watching a bunch of the recent reviews by YouTube providers has me a bit worried. Many of them mention the outdated effects and that the reverb on the cheaper, more recent Elektron machines is better. That makes me wonder if Elektron can remedy this with an update. I guess I have a couple of months to decide but I would love to know if a MK3 is in the works. I’m tired of buying things just to have an update announced a month later. Already did that once this year, purchasing a nice ipad Pro only to have them announce the M1 version a few weeks later.

:laughing: people who say such daft stuff should not be taken notice of, the effects are fine, perfectly usable and no worse than most other “up to date” machines, just don’t expect them to compete with standalone fx units or VSTs. When I read these kind of comments I think that the person does not really know what they are talking about, or what they are doing TBH.

8 Likes

Yeah… thats why I use 30 year old reverb as my main reverb. And a couple of 40 year old synths.

None of the ‘updated’ elektrons have 3 LFOs to modulate the reverb… or delay.

Dont listen to youtubers. Most of them dont know what they are talking about.

6 Likes

Or they parrot what everyone else says without stopping for a second to think more on it:

Which other sampler offers 8 instances of reverb or delay or 16 instances of the others all LFOable by three and macrocontrolled by scenes and a crossfader?

In terms of something new coming out, no one can assuage your concerns there. Apple is pretty consistent with their releases I thought. But Elektron, especially in light of a new CEO, is totally up for grabs.

The OT is certainly ageing (like fine wine). But they’ve just released a new color and iteration not too long ago, so maybe they’re confident in it still. They certainly should be.

3 Likes