New Octa mkii, samples failing

Resampling the sample seemed to have eliminated the issue.

However everything I record from thru machine is having the issue. With dynamic recording off and on, 24 or 16 bit.

Further investigating. It seems the sample is only broken when the thru machine is going. I’ve put my thru machine on channel 5 and 6 and it causes the same issue.

If I turn up a and b or c and d on record page 2 and record the sample that way with thru machine muted the sample is fine.

Really baffling.

1 Like

I deleted the the OT file associated with one of these failing samples and now it plays completely insane. Sounds like it’s retriggering and freezing and audio is completely different.

Dang it! Great troubleshooting though…

Dang! That’s nuts. Thanks for trying it out. Sorry it didn’t help.

Sample that! You may never ‘break’ your OT in such a way ever again :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Finnishhim I don’t get what is your issue.

Could you list minimum steps in order to try to reproduce it? A video would help too.

It’s happening even with short hold samples. I’m probably going to swap out the unit tomorrow.

The sample just completely cuts out and stops playing all together, then pops back in later on. That is the issue. But only if recorded when the through machine is on/unmuted.

What happens when you follow the Sample in the AED window?

I would give @sezare56 the steps required to reproduce the behaviour as requested otherwise no one can really help you because there are so many variables on OT.

3 Likes

The cursor fully disappears while the sample isn’t playing then pops back in. Not a set length of time for it to start playing again.

Thanks I’ll test that when I get home tonight.

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t have a video but I maybe solved the issue.

The issue happens when on the SRC SETUP page Loop is set to off. Maybe this is supposed to happen as it breaks when the pattern ends, but it sometimes doesn’t come back for a whole nother bar.

If Loop is set to Auto or On I’m not having an issue, unless the samples loop mode is set to off.

What I’m trying to solve now is when I have loop mode set to auto on the flex machine and I record a sample with thru machine running why does that samples default loop mode become “off” vs when I record with thru machine muted and increase the level on record 2 settings page it makes the default to loop “on”?

Really hoping this is normal behavior and I’m just a dumbass noob. :grimacing:

1 Like

This sounds like user error due to not understanding the machine. So no failure with the octatrack itself.

Glad you have solved your issue. You’ll get the hang of it the more you use it.

For clarity, thru machines dont record anything. They just allow audio through the octatracks envelopes and fx.

Track recorders are what record samples.

Think of octatrack as having three layers.

1- track recorders (8 of them, can be configured many ways.)

2- audio tracks (8 of them, can play back samples using flex or static machines, pass audio through using through machines, add fx chains using neighbour machines, or a single track looper using pick up machines)

3- midi tracks (8 of them. Can be configured how ever you like. Eg control 8 external synths, or send all 8 tracks to one synth for eightfold complex midi sequencing)

3 Likes

Yup you are totally right. I’ve never used an Elektron machine before this week.

I still can’t figure out why these two different sampling methods on the same flex machine are recording with different loop settings but I’m sure I will figure it out soon once I get more familiar with the menus.

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean by 2 different sampling methods. Pickups behave differently, and lets says there are different sampling methods.

A Flex playing a recording buffer with Loop set to AUTO will behave differently depending on corresponding recorder setting (REC SETUP > LOOP ON/OFF).

Auto behavior of any Flex or Static track also depends on samples ATTRIBUTES > LOOP in Audio Editor. These settings can be stored (TRIM/SLICES/ATTRIBUTES). Same for timestretch.

If you’re not sure, you can force Loop (or Timestretch) behavior by setting them to ON or OFF…in SRC SETUP page.

Ok yeah I’m starting to grasp this a little better but have a long way to go. Appreciate the help!

I’m starting to get the sense that it doesn’t matter if my thru machine is muted or not when recording A and B on a flex machine. But maybe I’m wrong hahah.

But what I mean by two methods is:

1. I had thru machine open and playing AB on track 5. On track 1 flex machine I sampled A and B while loop was set to auto on record settings.

2. Thru machine muted on track 5. Then on track 1 flex machine I went to recording page 2 and turned up the volume or gain on the AB setting (I’m sure I’m not understanding this correctly yet). Loop was also set to auto on the recorder.

End result was the loop attribute for method one was off and for method 2 it was on. At least I think that’s why method 2 I wasn’t having the issue.

But at least now I know I can override in SRC settings or on the loop itself in attribute page.

Recorders only have On/Off settings.

Flex can play recording buffers, and have OFF, AUTO, ON, PIPO settings.

So I’m not sure what you did. From track recorder 1, you can record IN AB, whatever other tracks settings are. If track 1 is set to Flex, Loop Auto, and plays Recording 1, it’s behavior will depend on track 1 REC SETUP > Loop ON or OFF.

Btw if you want to record track 5 as Thru playing AB with its fx, you can select SRC3 = T5 as recording source.

Ah cool thank you. Maybe I will adjust to record the thru machine that way.

Time to watch a lot of tutorials.

2 Likes