Wait for new Octatrack or plunge?

I get that if you want to buy new. What I would do is buy an OT mk1 which go for 600-700€ (or $) regularly. That’s great value for money! The hypothetical OT mk3 would probably cost ~1500€ or more.

Like people said already, the fx are totally fine.

2 Likes

That won’t happen. Elektron always maintains backwards compatibility for owners of their previous products. (There was a clumsy ‘legacy mode’ FX for Rytm but I doubt they’ll do that again.) I think Octatrack is nearing the end of life stage. They might still sell it for another 4-5 years if demand remains strong but they won’t update it with a MKIII (they’ve never done a MKIII for anything remember) otherwise that would’ve happened at the time of the 10th anniversary. Comparing with Apple is a non-starter too. Apple does updates on a yearly basis for popular products. Top tip: you only have to look at MacRumors near the time of any purchase to know if you’re safe to go ahead or not.

The consensus here is that won’t happen.

2 Likes

The OT effects will never be outdated. Name one effects unit out there right now that can do what the OT can do. You’ll need a wall of eurorack to come close and even then it wouldn’t be as cohesive as the OT.

I’m waiting for OT MKIII. I hear it is going to have analog cup holders.

2 Likes

The number of people who have disclosed anything here about Elektron having something the works, before officially announced: Zero.

Nobody knew about the Mk2, Digitone Keys, or either Model: box being “in the works” either.

A new octatrack still going on? Hmmm. Buy octatrack or not. Wait a year and still don’t know elektron workflow, a wasted year.

The OT MK2 is amazing if you take time to learn it. That’s a fact that will still be true even if Elektron makes a new box with similar features.

I’m waiting for OT MKIII. I heard it’s supposed to have an analog screen.

1 Like

Nah thats last season. Its all FM, wavetables and semi modular these days. The OT MK3 has FM wavetable screens with Semi modular cupholders.

If zombie apocalypse starts you can forge a sword that delivers!

Dont be a fool and invest!

This is what the ‘old’ OT can do.

1 Like

I got an Octatrack exactly 1 month ago (mid life crisis present to myself)

I’ve printed the manual (and Merlin) and have sat and diligently got about 1/3 of the way through it while sat in front of the machine.

Coming from the DT there are a suite of differences - some great, some frustrating- but I had a small “Eureka!” moment over the weekend with live sampling and switching between incoming live audio and a recording of the same (parts / patterns / scenes) and then going to town switching it all up. It blew my mind.

First couple of weeks I found it very frustrating because it wasn’t more like the DT, now I think I’m beginning to undestand that it’s just so so so much more- and I’ve still got 2/3 of the manual to get through and about a million YouTube vids queued up to watch.

I’m going to consciously put the hours in to actually learn it- not just spend time with it and twist knobs like I’ve done with a few of my synths.

I’m really pleased I took the plunge

18 Likes

This is the way. :arrow_up:

7 Likes

Wait ? For what ? Go get one now and start having fun!

1 Like

The best advice I can give is buy a used one if you don’t like it sell it.

2 Likes