Vongon Replay 6-voice Synthesizer

I bet most people around 50 would say 100 maybe 150, I bet younger people would guess quite a bit higher, Y2K aesthetic is definitely in… people will shell out for a nice retro looking computer keyboard. Personally I think it looks great… would have preferred if it was even more classic computer grey but what ya gonna do.

I guess that is the risk of making something with a different look though you are going to alienate some people, like personally I think dreadboxs stuff with the outrun look is pretty ehh, I know a lot of people love it, feels a just dated and out of touch to me.

3 Likes

I really like design and aesthetics, but looks wise I honestly think this seems like a half baked AI generated “retro-futuristic“ product concept that needed a few more rounds of refinement.

It just screams generic mass market “boutique design” that will sit nicely next to pastel coloured turntables, cassette players and polaroid cameras at big department stores and urban outfitters.

Very surprising considering their Polyphrase and Ultrasheer aesthetically look amazing. I think if they just took the Polyphrase, made the case wider and stuck a keybed in front it would be much more appealing at $899 with that superb and full of character delay/looper included in one solid package.

2 Likes

As you are a professional guitarist does this tick the boxes for playing keys? That seems to be the aim by Vongon.

I do hope that the Vongon Replay is successful though, as it might encourage more pedal makers to create their own samplers or synths rather than add to the 1000s of high end pedals already out there.

Imagine a Chase Bliss Blooper or Mood built into a simple portable keyboard or Automatone sized sampler?

5 Likes

Oh, I’m not really sure…I’m a crappy keyboard player, so the keys might not bother me as much as a real keyboard player :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great point!

On a synth though, features are not just features… they are what we use to create sound and omitting basic features like a second oscillator, means no fm, or true ring mod, or even different octaves in a note… really basic features that you need… sure it can still be great but I think a lot of people feel being digital just why??? Another oscillator is not too complicated.

1 Like

Seems like they are doing ok. Perfect Circuit went from “in stock” to “pre-order” by the second day. Maybe they only received 5, but thats still 5 more sold than a decent amount of people on this thread think is reasonable.

1 Like

Whether the price is ‘reasonable’ or not is a fairly personal thing. I doubt I’d get one for many of the reasons listed here, but I do think it looks super cool, which ain’t enough to make me pull the trigger. Right now I’m focused on a live performance setup where I’m running a Syntakt and Octatrack along with a bass vi, looper and fx. My current wish list is stuff that fits into that. More hands on performance stuff, effects and small, but powerful poly synth, so my current list of possibilities are

1. SuperCritical Redshift 6 (when it becomes available)
  2. Nord Drum p3
  3. Torso S-4 (maybe)
  4. Microcosm
  5. H-90

The Replay hasn’t bumped any of those things off the list

3 Likes
aside

the SuperCritical Redshift 6 looks pretty cool. I saw they just aded a video on youtube about their development. Once there are real demos I’ll be very interested as well.

2 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/H7sYmrYsj_o?si=DJTSkCRNBr8HBfs3

1 Like

Some nice sounds there from the replay.

But you guys really need to cool it with this Polyphase stuff. Quit tempting me! :rofl:

2 Likes

The Polyphrase is awesome! You can dial really cool Delays. I need to sort out the saving process though. I know it’s cool to experiment with the Polyphrase but saving Presets is a big part of my setup.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw your post on the other thread. I would definitely like an easier way to save patches.

1 Like

I’ve wrote to Vongon about this. I’m waiting for an answer.

1 Like

i was actually considering this as a nice modern juno sort of sweet spot polysynth but the price is kind of holding me back. would it be smarter to just get a ju-06a or a juno 6 even?

are there any better affordable modern synths that have that sweet rubbery rounded fizzy sound? i just learned that this has a moog style ladder filter but it is based loosely on the juno 106 & polsix and does sound like that sort of 80s dco synth character to me which i cant really pull out of my sequential or other synths, no matter what kind of patching im doing because of the intrinsic character of these synths

am i mistaken in thinking this synth has a unique character that cant be gotten with the more popular polysynths like peak/prophets/korg logues/etc? seems like the only good source of that roland sound is either the system 8, maybe the udo super 6, the boutiques (sort of, maybe?), or the actual vintage analog rolands

What’s wrong with the S-1, especially for the price? It sounds very good.

3 Likes

Yamaha reface cs is another that has that sound or close to it.

2 Likes

Is there an actual review of that device that isn’t just a blatant ad?

2 Likes

Its similar to the Reface CS. They both can sound different like any synth ever. Its just do you like it and will you use it. I have a setup with this, a Michigan Synthworks Xena, and an MPC Live 2. Pretty pretty pretty good.

1 Like