Visuals for music, tips/starters!

You should definitely have a look at Derivative Touchdesigner. It is ideal with python for…well, for many things.

Also live coding is possible with it quite easily.

There are also ready made audio analyzers in their standard package, but also tons of great tutorials for using sound as a driver for several parameters.

Processing has a Python mode:

https://py.processing.org/

1 Like

Thanks guys!

I found this great resource but I don’t think he writes about live coding. I keep on digging this topic on TD.

true, there is also a py version. I was thinking that it can be a fun exercise to learn a new language but I can start here :slight_smile:

there’s a new Visual Builder M4L device in the latest update, it’s very basic but it gives nice foundation of simple graphics controlled by midi clips, has the potential to create visuals for sure.

This is great for understanding the general syntax of python in TD, but I was more thinking of examples like this:

And this:

combined with this:

2 Likes

I’ve been using Processing for 10 years or more. It is a wonderful programming language and very approachable. Plus p5.js is nearly identical but for the web. I’ve built some audio reactive things with it and there are probably lots of examples of music visuals out there and a helpful community.

Another one to consider would be Unity if you want anything 3D

But I’ve always had my eye on touchdesigner. It looks purpose built for making visuals for music.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, looks wonderful

I just dove down this rabbit hole for the first time. Been using Magic Visualizer for a few weeks now and am fairly impressed. I’m not a high level programmer but do have extensive experience with HTML/CSS and a little PHP/MySQL.

You can create GLSL shader effects for use in Magic but this is a bit above my head. However, I do understand how to use the ones that have been so generously provided on their website.

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/resources

I looked at a few of the other visualizers mentioned here but Magic fit my budget for an entry level system. FWIW, I got interested after seeing an Eyesy in action and looking at a lot of youtube circuit benders.

I just ordered a long assed hdmi cable and am quivering with excitement at the possibility of connecting my MacBook from my mixer to the big screen for some DT audio glitched vidi’s.

I tried TouchDesigners yesterday and my GPU instantaneity maxed out without even working on it … But my laptop has no dedicated GPU, no chance I believe.
I just managed to route audio from Bitwig to it and see the scope moving … :space_invader:

I guess I can forget video with it. Maybe I should try with Processing but I guess I can expect the same result.

I have been exploring Houdini for live audiovisuals recently, basically using it as a modular synthesizer, but also to make reactive visuals.

Here are some explorations, even at early stage of the project still, It is looking rather promising.

All sound is generated/synthesized using CHOPs (channel operators) context in Houdini, and all Visuals are generated using SOPs (surface operators).

I am not using any external plugin, just the software as it comes.

1 Like

…i wait for bitwig 6’ eyegrid…

cool!

Have a look at the Houdini Music Tools (if you haven’t already)

3 Likes

Andrew released a book many years ago that I’ve been using as reference, as it is one of the few sources about sound within Houdini, and I’m also aware of his Music Toolset. The main difference here is that he is using Houdini as a sequencer for external DAWs, and I am generating sound within Houdini, basically using it like it was a Nord Modular, or something similar to it without much less specific and more rudimentary modules, with the addition of also generating audio reactive visuals, all self contained.

2 Likes

I’m into livecoding and use a pair of different systems for visuals: hydra (https://hydra.ojack.xyz) and punctual (https://dktr0.github.io/Punctual/). They aren’t probably as sophisticated as some of the previous suggestions, but are very immediate (enough to improvise visuals in a live performance), and free software.

They both have music reactive possibilities, and hydra can be used along with p5.js (or p5live).

3 Likes

Just wondering what kind of gear would have been used to make the visuals for Rez by Underworld? The track came out in 1993 but I’m not sure if the visuals date from that time or not.

Interesting! I havent used Houdini since I went to Cg school 13 years ago but I remember our teacher telling me it can do everything in the world except pizza.

1 Like

that’s very cool! super immediate and I guess you can just record it with obs for a YT video or something… I wonder if there’s like a lossless/good quality way to export a pattern as a loop…

1 Like

Yes, I usually use OBS to record live jams that we make each weekend in the estuary platform (estuary.mcmaster.ca).

How would this system to record loops work?

no idea, but if the code has a loop point maybe there is some way…

I mean… take a look at this, it definitely has loop points, so maybe there’s way to detect them and just render high res…

Thanks, but I wasn’t asking about “video performance” software.