Visuals for music, tips/starters!

I sat down with the EboSuite manual last night and it looks like you can do what you’re asking.
Will be giving this a try over the next week or so.

1 Like

I was tempted by zwobot but ebosuite looks a different class

I’m not too clued up on Graphics, here’s what i’m running

I am no expert either, but seems that you have two graphic cards? That’s the most important thing for shaders/video, the guy at Ebosuite told me.

And a better processor (i7) and double the RAM.

Ran the included ebosuite demos and was no issues on my mac but its minimal use

Will try push it more tomorrow

3 Likes

Blender anyone? It 100% free, steep learning curve (nothing new to elektronauts:joy:), can do all the video editing, plus all the 3d-stuff you ever wanted, plus fancy node things where you can route different parameters into each other - the real wizard-stuff!

I am just starting out as well, mainly to do editing. But as with so many things, as you dig a little deeper a whole new world seems to open.
What I did so far was take cool photos, run them through glitchlab ( a smartphone app) and paste them randomly on the static image.

3 Likes

Blender is really amazing I’ve spent some time with it and but more time with maya… and found you sort if need something like aftereffects to really put together something polished with the footage you pull out of it. But yeah a great tool for making things and then using it in other programs. Unity or Unreal Engine are free and can take midi or audio as input to my understanding… I’ve always meant to dive deeper into those, I think any game engine can be a great way to go if you’re trying to do live reactive stuff.

my first try with Resolume :slight_smile:

the feedback of the trail fx is a little bit Audio reactive. But I didn´t want to much fx to focus on the video shots (I did in Patagonia / Tierra del Fuego).

I think Resolume is a lot of fun when working with real video. Before I used final cut pro for my videos … and resolume just offers cool stuff to modulate things in realtime.

next step:
I want to control Resolume with my modular Synthesizer / Elektron maschines like A4 or Octatrack. The basic idea is to control different options on video layers with the same modulations I use for audio manipulations. I´m looking for a cv to midi converter. Did anyone tried it yet? Does it work? What cv to midi converter do you recommend?

6 Likes

Beautifully done :+1:

1 Like

Hi.

In the beginning of the lockdown I did a remix and a video while trying to learn the DaVinci Resolve16. The band is called Diagram.

I since got into EboSuite and can recommend both programs, Resolve has a free version though.

In this video I was just trying to mix the footage that was provided and learning my way around, so there´s mistakes incluted ; ).

I´ll share that other video, that´s relying more on EboSuite, when the band are ready to share it on the web.

Any of you guys got into EboSuite?

1 Like

I bought EboSuite when it was on sale. But well… I am a slacker.

Haven’t had a good idea so far…

Just load any clip in to a esampler or other, try to mess around with the efx and explorer the possibilities. Also the feedback efx are fun to use with a midi controller.

I made this Remix and a video for it some months ago and now it’s online so OK to share it here.

I used the EboSuite for the eft and just put the rolls together in Resolve(free version). I still like to do stuff in EboSuite, not sure that I use it as entented but that’s the beauty of a instrument or program when you find your own was of use/abuse.

Heeres the link to the blog, not that it’s that interesting read but…

1 Like

Does anybody have much experience with projectors for small venue gigs?

Done a fair bit of research online, it seems I want to go for a short throw, around 3000 lumens.
Be good to hear of any experience here, what brands are recommended.

Have spent a lot of time with Ebosuite in the last few months, the latest update to 1.7 has made a big difference, great update. Loads of new tips on their YouTube channel

2 Likes

It took me a while to get my head around Processing, but ended up creating a pretty cool project with it. I should really document it better.

Once I jumped into 3d with processing that was when it really got cool. Fully everything controlled by OSC, linked to Ableton, MF Twister controlling all the visuals. It was a bit of an orbital system of 3d satellite objects.

The real secret I thought was PGraphics. I basically created every major scene as it’s own seperate PGraphics, with variables on the alpha channels for easy switching between compositions. For some further automation also had it hooked up to Vezer too, which is a nice OSC timelining software.

Some vague pics : http://mattleaf.studio/aeon-beta-2016-2018/

Haven’t touched the project in a while though. Am becoming more interested in Blender and Unity lately, hopefully the crash course I took in Processing helps me out in Unity, I know nothing about C#

3 Likes

i am currently workin on a setup in TD where i control a fluid simulation with
midi. The video is a first test, its not the easiest setup to control btw, but once the numbers are right its working. :wink:

recording volume was a bit low. use headphones

4 Likes

Made another one for an Indie band that I´m playing drums in. Filmed in a living room and coloured up in EboSuite.

The Third Sound

2 Likes

Any Unity and FFT experts about?

I have some decent experience with Processing so not finding the coding side of Unity too difficult, but I’m struggling a bit to work with FFT on incoming audio. I don’t have much knowledge on frequencies and analysis.

What I want to do is create a GameObject every time an FFT band goes above a certain threshold; a different object per band. I have no issue instantiating objects and audio is coming in fine. But each band has very different values, lower frequency bands have Much higher values than higher frequency bands. Is there an equation out there to tackle this? Can a simple curve be calculated with a threshold value for lowest band and a threshold value for highest band and then the equation works out the others? Mathf.Lerp() is too linear? Do I need to normalise the FFT?

How does a normal graphic equaliser manage the FFT?

Can share code if that helps?

Thanks for any advice.

I would say that resolume is great to start with. It is really well done, easy to use, and with some videos and images you choose to load + its effects, you can do sooooo much.

A second stage would be touchDesigner, it is simply fantastic, as it is based in sideFx Houdini :wink:

I have always been attracted by adding some visual to my music. I would like to try out but I don’t know where to start.

What I’m interested in:

• live coding instead of drag and drop software. I code in my daily job (python) but I’m at intermediate level not more
  • 2D geometrical patterns, fake 3D with some blur maybe. No picture, webcam or 3D images.
  • Free to start with
  • Learning some algebra, trigonometry, image processing (see https://thebookofshaders.com/)

What caught my attention.

• processing
  • Openframeworks
  • kodelife
  • p5js

So far I don’t even understand how the code is getting data from a DAW/soft synth (bitwig, vcv rack) or an hardware synth.

And what I can expect from my computer. I7, 8g ram but no GPU …

Any suggestion? Thanks !