Visuals for music, tips/starters!

How were the visuals created? As in, was it your own material you uploaded into the software?

Thanks. I guess it does not look too bad for a first short session.
I downloaded some free pictures of forests as a starting point. Then I only added various effects and stuff like starfields :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not really suitable for live, and mac only.
Artmatic is a modular graphic art app.
It’s not the most easy to learn…took me a few years to get the hang of it.
This example is pretty simple though, it’s a mirror effect, with some color saturation and altered colors, on a movie I ripped of youtube.
There’s 3 frequency bands doing the movement on the mirror effect.

1 Like

Hey that’s pretty cool for a first try!

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Wow. This one looks really cool. I just sold a couple of things, and have been looking for something like this for a long time, might just pull the trigger. Kind of hard to grasp at once, but damn, looks really cool. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

I’ve been using an Ipad Pro to draw my own animations to sound/music so far, it’s really cool, but extremely time consuming.

I do stuff in After Effects but for audio reactive TouchDesigner is really good.

1 Like

That is so cool. What program do you even use to draw those lines??

1 Like

Vaguely related is verve painter… it’s an amazing fluid-simulating-painting-app, where you can adjust the properties of the fluids (drying time, viscosity, etc etc etc) to ridiculous levels. It’s a really really cool tool, especially so if you’re good with a tablet. Windows only.

http://www.taron.de/

1 Like

If you’re going to invest $500 into a visual synth I would look into something with a video input so you can add a camera if you like.

I’m really into the 3TrinsRGB1 right now.

Tachyons+ has great stuff.

And Op-Z with VideoLab is in the same price range but offers 3D visuals a ton of other features including a sequencer and DMX controller.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Not sure, it’s just a favorite video of mine.

wondering if anyone here has tried Op-Z creating their own visuals with Unity? I want to get it just for the video purposes but not interested in the presets.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for the tips! I’ve been pondering video synthesis for a long time, but every time I sit down and study it somewhat I find that it’s just not really what I’m looking for. I think I’ll keep on with the animations, even though it takes a lot of time. Now, if someone were to make an Octatrack for video, on the other hand, I’d be interested. :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s why I like the ETC, because I don’t really have to think about it to make cool animations instantly. The best part about the hardware is anyone can play it, since it’s synced to the audio you can’t really make it look bad. If my friends are jamming and someone is there who doesn’t know how to play music, they can still work with the ETC make some cool visuals and feel part of the jam.

I use it to sequence visuals without effort when I’m playing my Digitakt at home. It would be too difficult to work both devices, but it’s easy to map the controls of the ETC to the Digitakt, in order to work both simultaneously.

Check out this video at about the 3 min mark to learn how to sequence visuals using midi data.

1 Like

Cool! I saw that a couple of hours ago, actually. :slight_smile: It’s pretty neat, and not saying it’s shit obviously, but in the end just not the style I’m after, I suppose. I think most video synth or VJ-like visuals (with 3D cubes smashing around or whatever) are somewhat generic up to a certain point, and probably works well live, but artistically not that interesting, in my opinion. I quite liked what @konputa posted further up here, that has a bit of finesse about it, or looks a bit less generic than a lot of the video synth stuff.

But anyway, it does look FUN, just to plug in and play, so could probably be worth it just for that, and probably excellent to use in a live situation where you just want something to accompany the music. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Touch Designer really is the best.

You might be interested in Notch Software.

5 Likes

vid? tutorial? would like to see some more of that

Nice! Looked interesting. Thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

This thread is an amazing resource! Thanks for all the amazing stuff to explore.

Here’s another Artmatic audio responsive video.

1 Like