Very very small companion mixer for OT

SPDIF mod

http://p.matrixsynth.com/2012/03/modified-elektron-octatrack.html?m=1
photo4
Sampler final - 1 (1)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elektron-Octatrack-DPS-1-Modified-With-S-PDIF-And-Wordclock-Output-/224038122522?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

1 Like

That’s… not cheap!

1 Like

AWESOME!

10k? :rofl: with 10k I buy 7 new OT.

2 Likes

Makes me think: maybe i should buy an extra OT instead of a mixer :wink:

4 Likes

I contacted the guy who did the mod. It was 1k for it. I’d rather buy another OT and keep internal recording I prefer anyway for it’s better quality…

2 Likes

Is bit expensive but is a powerful minimixer and recorder
1 Like

Looks great. If i compare to the price I paid for a BabyFace Pro, that’s not expensive… i even wonder why a traditional soundcard costs more for way less outputs/inputs… maybe the AD/DA converters?

1 Like

Did you ever get a M4 or did you try with M2 - is direct monitoring available without out a computer connected? EG. the M4 is just powered by an USB hub.

I would love to have the OT hooked up to input 3/4, computer off and be able to play on my monitors without fiddling with cables.

No ALT/submix output, but these mixers have metal cases and are tiny and inexpensive, so 2 may work. The Rolls are reliable, in my experience.

• Budget: Edirol M-10MX, Behringer Xenyx 1002B, Rockville LINE8, Nady MM-242,
3 Likes

Never got the M4 and never tried that with the M2. MOTU support could answer your question though. They were fast with usb hub related questions I had.

Thanks will try that.

Any suggestion besides the M4 for this kind of usecase?

Hi @yeshuah

It seems you can use the M4 (i don’t have the m2) without a computer. I have just ran a quick test with an Anker Powerbank Essential 20000 (via usb c to usb a cable) and I was able to use a mic with phantom power on and feed a stereo out from the Motu outs to the OT.

I haven’t done a proper test so I am not sure how long it will run without depleting the battery.

I suspect you can probably even use a Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen or an Audient Evo 4, as long it has direct monitoring.

I am actually thinking of upgrading to the Ultralite MK5 as soon it is available and use the M4 I have as a preamp for a Sound Devices Mixpre 3 so that I can feed two extra XLR (P48) to the field recorder on the aux stereo input of that device.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Currently I have an old NI Komplete Audio 6 and you can only direct monitor one set of inputs.

So it’s about the flexibility of the routing. Being able to route either or all of the inputs to the output with the Direct monitoring feature Still haven’t heard back from MOtU support about it.

You can route all the inputs to the 1-2 outs. The monitor buttons let you send single channels and stereo linked (with pan) as well. It’s in the manual, but I don’t remember which page.

I am not sure about inputs 3-4 though as there are no individual controls for them on the Motu, aside from the direct input-computer balance.

Yes, OT would love a compact mixer with a recorder & FX function. When I first thought about this and looked for ready-made solutions, nothing completely satisfied me with functionality and cost was not found. After resting on the couch for a while, it was decided to do something on our own. As a result, the idea was born to assemble a mixer around the existing KaossPad 3 modified by me earlier. At the moment, the blocks of a recorder based on Zoom H1, an audio interface based on BSC3000 IC’s and an extension of the case from a body element of another KP3 are ready. Unfortunately, all my free time was consumed by other industrial projects. But if OctaGod has mercy and gives me some resources to complete this damn project, I will definitely finish it and share with everyone its implementation. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Maybe the 1010music BlueBox can be a solution. Although for my specific usecase it is lacking a mic pre-amp.

In a pinch you can use a Zoom h5 as a simple 2 mono + 1 stereo (or 4x mono if you but the module that replaces the built in mic with two more preamps) mixer with 4 track recorder. You only have level control and the master line out is on 1/8" TRS but it would work.

Not cost effective if you are mainly after a mixer and the recording is a bonus, but if you need a decent field recorder that also happens to work as a simple mixer (and 4x2 USB audio interface if you need it to do that) you could do a lot worse.

4 Likes

I have read again your post and it seems you wanted to do a different thing than the scenario I described.

I confirm that the direct monitoring for inputs 3-4 works on the M4 when connected directly to the powerbank (a powered hub should work too, but it might add additional noise in the chain).

However please note that inputs 3-4 on the M4 are line level only and their gain is not adjustable. I have tried using the Mix-Playback pot but this does not affect what is being played back. Also, you can only use outputs 1-2 on the Motu in this way (not 3-4).

EDIT: Also, inputs 3-4 are a stereo pair and they cannot be unliked.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Of course. But in my particular case, everything is due to two factors. 1- the device being designed will record a WAV- file of a live playing. (For more serious and precise purposes, there are other devices). And 2 - I already had a Zoom H1 with broken microphones in stock. Therefore, I decided so. But thanks anyway for your participation. :upside_down_face: