Velocity modulation - how does it work?

I’m trying to wrap my head around the new velocity modulation options in firmware 1.12 for the Model:Samples.

Here’s what the manual says, though it is pretty opaque:

FIX Pad velocity set the pads to trig with a fixed velocity, and sets the value of the fixed velocity. OFF sets the pads to respond to dynamic velocity. (1–127, OFF)
VDEP Volume depth sets the depth of the velocity modulation of the volume (amplifier). (0–127)
DST Destination selects the modulation destination for the velocity. Preview how the velocity modulation affects the sound by highlighting a destination. For more information, please see “APPENDIX B: MODULATION DESTINATIONS” on page 53.
DDEP Destination depth sets the depth and polarity of the velocity modulation. Both negative (inverted) and positive modulation depth is possible. A setting of 0, equals no modulation depth. (-64.0 to 63.0)
Tip: Press and hold [FUNC] + [BACK] for a second to toggle the fixed velocity on/off.

Appendix B is just a list of all of the modulation destinations, so not very helpful.

My notes from testing these:
FIX: This one I understand, it just either sets a fixed velocity for the pad, or when OFF it reads the velocity from the pad as you hit it. As we all know, you have to hit the pad very hard to get a 127 velocity reading.

VDep: I’ve read the manual description over and over, and I still don’t understand what it says. From my experimentation, it seems like a higher velocity reading results in a lower volume output. So is it modulating the volume down? If so, what’s the purpose of that? Seems like the opposite of what you would want.

Dst: This one makes sense, it sets the destination of the modulation effect, just like the destination menu in the LFO.

DDep: This one sets the depth (a.k.a. intensity) of the modulation effect. I found it easiest to understand this one when wearing headphones and using PAN as the destination. +63 will pan the track fully to the right channel, and -64 will pan the track fully to the left channel. With FIX set to Off, a light tap of the track button will play the sample in both L + R channels, and a hard tap will play the sample panned all the way to one channel.

Another bit of success I’ve had is with these settings:
FIX - OFF
VDep - 0
Dst - PTCH (pitch)
DDep - +63
Use the above with a melodic sample, such as synth chords or pads. A light tap will play the original sample, and increasingly harder taps will play the sample pitched higher and higher. Use a negative DDep number if you want to pitch the sample lower instead.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can change the default velocity of your chromatic keyboard, so that is helpful in making these settings more useful. For example, you could set the chromatic keyboard to a low velocity, like 30, to play the original sample, then use a higher velocity to on the pad to pitch the sample up or down as an effect. Just a thought.

So the main thing I’m confused about is VDep, I don’t think I understand what it is doing, or how it could be useful. Anyone else have it figured out?

2 Likes

Just a guess: maybe the polarity of DDep influences the modulation direction of VDep, too? Of course that would be a bug, but I also don’t see how a negative modulation on volume make sense as default behavior.

VDep & DDep
When you hit a pad it sends modulation (to velocity and/or to an another destination parameter).
The modulation sent is more or less strong depending on how hard you hit the pad AND how much Dep (depth) is set.

VDep
By default you can access velocity 0 (very soft) to 127 (very hard).
If you set VDEP to 27, you will only access velocity 100 (very soft) to 127 (very hard).
If you set VDEP to 107, you will only access velocity 20 (very soft) to 127 (very hard).
I neet to test it but I’m quite sure about that, give it a try !
I use it a lot, it kind of fixes the lack of pads’ sensitivity.

I love to use the second modulation on decay.
I set a low value on the decay knob and, for example :
Dst - decay
DDep - +30
Top for hi hats :wink:

3 Likes

Hello! I’m also trying to understand this feature (velocity modulation). Particularly, I’m interested in changing the pan of a trigger in the sequencer. Is it possible to do with this feature? Like, change the velocity per step/trig and modulate the stereo pan with that?

Thanks! Cheers!

I think you can p lock panning per step but there isn’t a way to link velocity to panning. Maaaaybe w/ NEI p locks? Dont know if MS has them.

Thanks for the reply! What are NEI p locks? So as I understand, the velocity can modulate pan using track pads, but not in trigs?

No its the opposite trigs can modulate panning or velocity but there is no way I know of to link panning to velocity.

NEI are “neighbor” trigs which affect the next trig im the sequence. I don’t understand them well.

@InTheAM, thanks. As far as I know there is no way to lock or modify panning per trig/step.