How are you using velocity modulation? - A Puzzle for me

Hi,
I’m new to this forum, but I’ve been trying to figure out something for the last day.
How does the velocity modulation work on the model:samples?
My main puzzle is if it’s possible to modulate a destination using velocity after recording notes (I guess pressure/after-touch is out)? Or does velocity modulation only work with live recording and simultaneously with notes? Lastly does the recorded behaviour get over-written if you manually adjust the velocity under the “note” menu for the trigs?
Thanks for any insight, it’s kinda bugging me. Although I love the machine as a whole - it’s so creative!!

Yes, it’s possible to modulate after recording – just P-Lock the velocity.

thanks @echoicMalady but that’s the bit I couldn’t figure out - how to p-lock the velocity on the modulation and not over-write the velocity of the recorded trigs. any help would be appreciated!

Ah, I see. Well, you could switch to Fixed Velocity mode so that you can P-Lock velocity modulation without altering note volume.

Of course, you’ll lose velocity -> volume with this approach. A potential workaround here would be to P-Lock Volume + Dist instead of using velocity. You can regain some volume automation this way, though it’s obviously not quite the same as velocity -> volume.

I’m not aware of any way other way to have note velocity separate from velocity modulation, unfortunately.

thanks for the clarification - I should probably think of of the velocity modulation as an extra performance tool rather than a method of adding dynamic p-locks. The start of my investigation was because I wanted to adjust the panning dynamically. Something which is a bit static if you want to create a track with only the model:samples. Thanks again for the fast response - it was driving me a bit crazy thinking that I misunderstood how velocity modulation works!

If you don’t want to lose velocity -> volume, you might consider using velocity modulation to mimic effects that are produced by varying velocity on acoustic instruments, such as fine tuning on hi-hats, reflections on snare drums or warble on guitars. It makes sense for those things to accompany changes in volume produced by velocity.

For applications where a fixed velocity is permissible (e.g. some classic synths lack velocity input), velocity modulation provides a few more parameters that you can P-Lock, such as panning and LFO modes.

Ideally, you’d be able to P-Lock those parameters without involving velocity.

Still, it would be interesting to know how others are using velocity modulation.

I agree it would be interesting to hear how others are using velocity modulation. I know there’s this thread: velocity modulation how does it work? but I’m sure others also have it used to good effect.