VCV Rack 2 Studio Edition

Still surprised by this, but VST version increases the odds, I think.

I never used Softube Modular, but VCV Rack today has trizillion modules. Inspired by the upcoming release of Rack 2, I fired up VCV Rack again, updated and started patching. Had tons of fun with a (for me new) Arp 1601 sequencer clone sequencing a Sid emu, but was quickly reminded why I had stopped using it - those trizillion modules are just an endless black holeā€¦I mean thereā€™s so much cool stuff, including emulations of Mutable Instruments, Erica Synths, Befaco, Instruo, Alright Devices and all sorts of cool stuff - itā€™s just a black holeā€¦
Thatā€™s why I had stopped working with Reaktor before. Itā€™s so much fun, but very distracting and a more closed system doesnā€™t pull you into this endless hole of new interesting things.

Might be exactly what youā€™re looking for, though. Just thought Iā€™d mention it.

1 Like

One of the most interesting and unique modules in VCV rack (in my opinion) is the MindMeld ShaperMaster Pro. Takes a while to fully grasp itā€™s capabilities but itā€™s incredible. The guys who coded it are absolute dons. This video series helps explain what it can do:

3 Likes

Just got the e-mail today, might have to shell out for the Pro version with the drum modules and interesting room verb.

Having this right in the DAW will make me use it much more for processing external audio!

1 Like

Yea, I am on the verge of getting it too. Just so convenient to record a clip left and right straight into Bitwig (in my case) let alone the (double) interfacing with the ES-9 and ā€¦ patch recall.

Well, time to decide until 31-12 to get the reduced intro price,ā€¦ sure it will come back before spring though ā€¦ no FOMO needed :wink:

https://vcvrack.com/SoundStage

Someone already used theVCV Sound Stage? Likes, dislikes? Why?

Update For reference:

I had said that the lack of AU support was a deal-breaker, but then I saw someone using plug-ins inside VCV 2.0 and decided that that sort of functionality would make it worth it for now, even if itā€™s not completely fleshed out.

I will note that I was surprised to find that the "Hostā€™ functionality for VCV is not part of the $99 you pay when you buy it. Host is an add-on thatā€™s another $30. I donā€™t think thatā€™s unreasonable for the functionality, I just didnā€™t understand that when I bought it.

So far, so good. In stand-alone on a M1 Macbook Air itā€™s fine, but Iā€™m not pushing things yet. I needed to go through my library and do a lot of purging. When Iā€™d first gotten VCV I went a little wild with the module choices and it was just too cluttered. I killed off probably 75% of what I had in there and have thing narrowed down to very clean modules that work well for me.

Edited to update: This was the video I think: Rack 2 - first draft - freestyling with Marbles

1 Like

I donā€™t remember the last time Iā€™ve been so exited by a software. Having VCV Rack in the DAW is so damn great.

Feels like much more fun and much more productive than M4L or Reaktor.

3 Likes

New VCV update with VST and AudioUnits formats, which means VCV in Logic. And the Syntakt update today? Shit, Iā€™m having a good synth dayā€¦

3 Likes

CLAP support is awesome! I canā€™t wait for this to eventually overtake VST. The adoption rate is coming along quite well.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not familiar? Itā€™s something from Bitwig or something?

Bitwig, U-he and a number of other developers. I canā€™t speak intelligently about the technical specifics (way past by abilities), but the short version is that VST 3 is under Steinbergā€™s control and VST 2.x is no longer possible unless you already have a license. CLAP is a modern take on the audio plugin format for developers, by developers without any licensing agreements.

u-he - CLAP | Clever Audio Plug-in API

GitHub - free-audio/clap: Audio Plugin API

6 Likes

yeahā€¦ itā€™s impressive and i hope more devs are able to take it on. poly modulators is pretty dope and if all of it pans out long term itā€™ll be easier for devs to develop and update etc. and not be subject to steinbergā€™s shitty VST whims. VST 3 is apparently a shitty package for devs which is why no one jumped on it and it sat for 10 years until steinberg forced everyoneā€™s hand by not giving out more VST2 licenses and removing VST2 support from Cubase etc.

the only reason thereā€™s midi sequencers that are VST2 is because developers found workaround for steinbergā€™s limitations. steinberg even commented that it was an ā€œabuse of the format and not intendedā€ which is just wack.

thereā€™s a MONSTER thread on CLAP vs other formats on KVR if you search for it where a lot of developers chime in with their thoughts.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a number of developers that have already released CLAP format plugins and from my understanding (again huge grain of salt) itā€™s not that difficult to port from VST 2. Supposedly Presonus has taken interest, so potentially Studio One could be the next major DAW to add CLAP support aside from Bitwig.

Thereā€™s obviously a financial incentive for developers to ditch VST licensing in favor of an open standard, but hopefully itā€™s also fostering a much more collaborative environment for the standard to evolve and progress.

EDIT: I forgot that Reaper is already actively working on adding support as well. Thatā€™d potentially make for three DAWs in a relatively short amount of time should both carry through.

4 Likes

Has anyone tried running the paid Host module within the Audio Unit version of VCV in Ableton 11 on an M1 Mac? Trying to figure out whether the AU plug-in version of VCV can host other plugins within in it - itā€™s important that itā€™s the AU version because that allows the rest of Ableton to run natively.

Is vcv arm / m1 native ?
Iā€™d check that side of things

Rack 2 is currently only available for x64 (64-bit Intel/AMD CPUs). However, the Rack 2 standalone application can run on Apple ARM machines via Apple Rosetta.

To run Rack 2 Pro in a DAW on macOS ARM, you must launch the DAW using Rosetta (tutorial for Ableton Live), or use a DAW that can sandbox plugins in separate processes (such as Bitwig, Reaper, and Reason). Update: Since Rack 2.2.1, all Audio Unit (AU) hosts on ARM can load Rack AU x64 without Rosetta.

A beta build of Rack ARM is available for plugin developers to build and test their

1 Like

yes

As far as I understand it, the latest 2.2.0 release means VCV can now run as an Audio Unit plugin, inside a kind of contained Rosetta bubble, where the translation layer is only required for that plugin, and the rest of the DAW can run natively. Previously the VST versions forced Ableton run in Rosetta mode. Technically it should be possible. So assuming this is true (I wish I had made note of where I read this), Iā€™m wondering if the Host module can host other VSTs within the AU, which opens up a lot of possibilities. ā€œVSTs within the VSTā€ seems to work fine on Windows, just asking in case the M1 stuff breaks this functionality for Mac.

It sounds complicatedā€¦ I only make
Loops and spit them into ableton / elektron gear.
Maybe thereā€™s a tutorial on YouTube / vcv specific forum .

1 Like