Using pre-configured bank

To avoid level changes when doing stuff like the transition trick, resampling, using cue outputs as “alt 3/4 routing” to external hardware (I noticed that’s something everyone seems to understand here) and the like, I don’t use levels for mixing, but I use amp vol. instead. I leave all levels at 108 (=-3dB) except resampling tracks and the master (127).

Cue levels and track levels are independant and I didn’t see a way to set cue levels “post-fader” in normal mode. So for instance, if you route the main outs AND the cue out to a mixer , in normal mode and “cue mutes track” on, (I find that very useful) you would want to have the exact same volume when switching from main to cue, meaning you would need to set all the cue levels manually to the same value as the track levels. Too much of a hassle for me so I just use amp vol so your cue sends/resampling/transition trick send mix will always be “post-fader”. Pretty much foolproof. I use this routing a lot because I can process subgroups of tracks (adding ext reverbs, or use it to make mute groups). Just one caveat: the amp vol is pre-fx so if you use dynamics processing (compressor, lo-fi and such) inline you need to take that into account.

BTW, I’m starting to set up such a template too. I’ve lost too much time messing up things by trying out new ideas in an existing project and think that I systematically should start fresh, but having a certain number of duties already set-up (transition tricks, some drum&perc kits, FlexiPickups, some midi tracks controlling external gear) and more I think about, more I feel it’s what I need to do right now.

Have you made any progression since?

2 Likes

In case it helps, saving banks and copy/pasting them using the OT file manager is really useful. You can combine project’s banks (all 4 parts and patterns) into one project quite easily. Even with my One Master Project I use I often test things out on a copy or a fresh one, make an awesome bank and when it’s ready paste it to the master project…

3 Likes

I want to start fresh but, as you say, having some things ready to be used in some banks is very useful.

Yesterday I took the Octa to continue setting those banks up and try the transition trick. I started with a Big Shaq sample, laughing around, but then I resampled and sliced a thing and I suddenly was making a 2h hard techno “session” from scratch.

I don´t know what happens with this machine, it gives you superpowers but it´s difficult to keep focus in one thing :rofl:.

6 Likes

Would anyone possibly have a project file for this they could share?

1 Like