Using octatrack to record demos

Hello

Is it possible to record 7 tracks (say 4 THRU and 3 FLEX) onto the 8th free track? Say I want to make a full demo with the Octatrack with Digitakt doing drums and some hardware synths and some samples from Octatrack while playing bass or guitar into one of the inputs. I’ve tried looking into resampling, but I can’t find any info on recording all 7 tracks onto one like this.

Thanks in advance.

Yes.
Route T1-7 to the Main outs and in T8 Recording Setup 1 set SRC3 to Main.
Or you could use Cue outs.

1 Like

I’m not positive, but I think you have to also enable dynamic recorders to Max out the rec buffer.

1 Like

Thank you! Now I just need to learn how to route tracks, hah.

1 Like

Would this allow me to record for as long as the buffer allows?

Yes. With Reserve Length set to None.
(MEMORY CONFIG menu)

2 Likes

Nothing to worry about.
Tracks are routed to Main by default.
Manual (mk2) p.62

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks everyone!

Do I need to put a cable going from main out to an input to sample main out?

1 Like

No, you can resample internally (from cue, master or any of the 8 individual tracks)

5 Likes

You can use track 8 for something if you want, the track recorders work regardless of what machine and/or sequence is on the audio track. They’re kinda their own thing so you can see OT having 8 audio tracks, 8 midi tracks, and 8 recorder tracks…

You can use any of the 8 recorders and set the input source as “main” for the “Src3” setting in Recording Setup 1. “Main” as an input source will record everything you hear coming out of the OT as long as your not cueing tracks. You don’t need to enable the INAB/CD inputs as main will capture everything your hearing. The OT mixer main volume and the track level of a master track (if you use one) affect the recording volume of sampling from main, probably best to set main volume at 0 and master track level to 127.

There are several ways to initiate sampling but for recording entire performances I’d probably use a one-shot on step 1 of the recorder track. With this you would “arm” it when OT is stopped and it will trigger the recorder when you press play.

5 Likes

Huh, so I got everything working just fine, but now I started a new project and tried to set everything up again, and for some reason channel 8 which is set to record main, RLEN to max, dynamic recorders on, reserve lenght set to none and sound q. 16 bit is only recording the same 16 steps over and over again. I used a one shot trig for the recording, no change. I even recorded without using a trig, still it’s only going 16 steps and then re-recording 16 steps over the old one. I just can’t figure it out, hah. What am I doing wrong?

I’ve checked my other project and the settings look exactly the same to me.

Turn off the recording trig after the recording starts?

Nope, turning the trig off doesn’t work. It’s still only recording 16 steps, no matter what I do. This is so god damn weird, I have no idea what setting is doing this.

Did you change parts previously?
Did you try to set RLEN again?
No midi in?

I don’t think I’ve changed any parts, I started a clean project. I’ve tried to start from scratch a few times now and every time it only records 16 steps over and over again. The original project however does work and records for the maximum amount that’s possible. RLEN is MAX on all projects. There’s no midi in or out at the moment.

This is very odd.

What type of Rec trig are you using?

One shot trig on step 1, but it doesn’t seem to matter what kind of trig I use or if I use any trigs at all, it’s still recording 16 steps again and again.

I mean I tried using a normal rec trig on step 1, assuming it would record for 64 steps and then start recording over the previous cycle but no, only 16 steps over and over again. Same goes for no trigs but starting the recording manually.

Can you do a little video or send over pics of your various settings? Might help someone nail the problem

Here’s all the relevant settings (I think):

There must be an explanation, I use RLEN MAX oftenly without problems…

Once I had to do this because OT was keeping previous part settings.

What do you mean by that ? Did you use save as new or copied something, or is it a really fresh project ?
Could you try in another bank ?

Probably not related but I use Reserve Recording set to NONE instead of Reserve Length 0s