Using midi to start and stop the sequencer

I’d like to send midi commands to start and stop the DT sequencer playback.

As far as I can see, the only way to accomplish this is by using program changes.

That is; press play on an empty patch/sequence. Then use midi to send another program changes to load the desired patch/sequence. Send another program change to load the empty patch to stop play.

It seems to me that there would be a more elegant solution. No?

The only way to overcome this could be to use a kind of “midi unit” like the Behringer FCB 1010 and set some CC to mute tracks or set the volume of the DT to zero. Maybe there are even some boards, which allow to send start/stop messages too.

The FCB has a soft merge/through function, which would make a midi merge unit obsolate.

Yes, that would be another way. Send a cc 94 mute to all the tracks and then unmute them.

I’m using Pure Data so I can send the cc’s directly to the DT.

A program change would be less code, I think.

Is there a reason why you don’t use the standard realtime midi messages for start (0xFA) and stop (0xFC)? I think the Digitakt needs to be configured as slave (CLOCK RECEIVE = ON) for it to work.

Yes, that’s it. DN has to be slave. I had it the other way.

If Clock send and clock receive are both on, it doesn’t work. It has to be clock receive only. Midiout msgs 250 and 252 do indeed start and stop the sequencer.

Thanks tnussb.