Using midi to start and stop the sequencer

I’d like to send midi commands to start and stop the DT sequencer playback.

As far as I can see, the only way to accomplish this is by using program changes.

That is; press play on an empty patch/sequence. Then use midi to send another program changes to load the desired patch/sequence. Send another program change to load the empty patch to stop play.

It seems to me that there would be a more elegant solution. No?

The only way to overcome this could be to use a kind of “midi unit” like the Behringer FCB 1010 and set some CC to mute tracks or set the volume of the DT to zero. Maybe there are even some boards, which allow to send start/stop messages too.

The FCB has a soft merge/through function, which would make a midi merge unit obsolate.

1 Like

Yes, that would be another way. Send a cc 94 mute to all the tracks and then unmute them.

I’m using Pure Data so I can send the cc’s directly to the DT.

A program change would be less code, I think.

Is there a reason why you don’t use the standard realtime midi messages for start (0xFA) and stop (0xFC)? I think the Digitakt needs to be configured as slave (CLOCK RECEIVE = ON) for it to work.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s it. DN has to be slave. I had it the other way.

If Clock send and clock receive are both on, it doesn’t work. It has to be clock receive only. Midiout msgs 250 and 252 do indeed start and stop the sequencer.

Thanks tnussb.

2 Likes

Hello, I try to ask here instead of open a new thread because it looks very close to my problem.
I’m not sure I understand this conversation here, so this is what I’m trying to achieve.
I have a Rolls Midi buddy that it can actually send start and stop messages. DT is set to receive only (I tried all the configurations). The fact is: The Rolls can switch between patterns and it stops the sequencer without problems. It actually can send a start message, because I can see that when I push the button on the Rolls the DT go in play mode (play button become green), but it doesn’t start. Or better It start after about 20sec and you can imagine how this is pretty useless.
Could you please help me? Maybe the Rolls is not the right gear I don’t want necessarily fix it, but I don’t want to spend money with another gear that could be the problems either.
Thanks a lot

When the Digitakt is set to respond to external Start/Stop/Continue messages, it also needs to get tempo information from an external device sending MIDI Clock messages. This is a design decision that Elektron has made.

The MIDIBUDDY cannot send MIDI Clock messages. Therefore the MIDIBUDDY cannot do all that you want, but it might still be useful in conjunction with other gear. What other MIDI gear do you have?

The MIDIBUDDY can be used on its own to select patterns on the DT.

There are several discussions on the forum about suitable MIDI foot controllers for Elektron gear:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=MIDI%20foot%20controller

1 Like

Yes I was afraid about that… My set should be very simple, even if I thought it was much easier to make it work. This is what I would like to achieve: Midi Keyboard and midi foot controller into the midi IN of DT - DT should be the brain and I use it to make drums patterns and some bass lines- from the DT midi out into the Midi IN of the Korg Minilogue and maybe another synth, I’m not sure yet. That’s it. I need a foot controller because I always play the guitar and sing.

Yes I red a few of those threads but I couldn’t find anything that speak about pedal boards that can send start and play messages and with its internal clock. I was wondering if behringer fcb1010 is able to do that, but I suppose not.
Could you suggest me a gear or different solution to do that? I red something about the soleman but first I didn’t understand if it’s ok for me and second it’s crazy to spend all that money just to push a play button…

is this constraint confirmed anywhere - this seems like a bad choice - i understood that there was only one checkbox for both transport/clock messages (which was a deviation from the older machines)

but having tried this on the Mk1s i can see that if the receiving device is expecting transport(and clock, seemingly implicitly for DT) then the device will engage transport but simply wait for clock too, rather than use its own clock settings

That would be a much better fallback position, i can’t believe that in the absence of any clock it doesn’t do this, this makes the decision to combine these two settings rather limiting imho, i’m super surprised it works this way

if the receiving device is only expecting transport the two will play but possibly at different tempos as no clock is shared

The FR for this should be separate checkboxes, surely it is an easy ask - but the next best option would be to use internal clock in teh absence of any arriving

The behaviour that @Eb82 is experiencing differs from teh analogs in that they respond to teh play message, but cannot proceed, they then timeout after 10/20 seconds and pause, whereas it sounds like the DT algo is to use internal clock as a fallback- it’s just waiting too long clearly

This clearly creates a headache for DT users

FWIW an option for those prepared to blow their warranty (at your own risk etc etc) would be to breakout a single pole switch option from the pcb tracks for the play and stop switches - it surely should be an easy mod although locating the output jack(s) could be tricky - but a single (small) TRS could probably do it and allow two momentary switches to be connected via a splitter cable, just a thought

Yeah I have headache since days, because I can’t think to a solution. Honestly I prefer to not send DT in a surgery room. Let’s try to imagine a different scenario, a simple one. Let’s say I own an Arturia Keystep (it should have its internal clock) and let’s say I own a Behringer fcb1010 too (wich has Midi In and Midi Out). What about this chain? Key step into fcb1010 into DT into Minilogue. Could it work?
It would be just a beginning because I can’t set up tempo using BPM interface (I can’t see for example 120,127,140bpm etc…)

So… I just give another approach to my setup, just to be sure that it could actually work. I for a moment let the minilogue be the master clock… I put its midi Out into a midisport 2x2 (in merge mode) toghether with the midi buddy… In the end with the MS2x2 midi out into the midi in of the DT… Everything is working perfectly… Since this won’t be my set up I have to figure it out a solultion… I mean, now that I know that I just need something with midi clock merged with the midi buddy… Do you any cheap idea? thanks

The KeyStep indeed can send MIDI clock but I believe that it doesn’t send Start/Stop/Continue messages - perhaps an owner can confirm.

The FCB1010 can send Program Change messages but not Start/Stop/Continue messages or MIDI clock, so it seems to have no useful purpose for you on its own.

1 Like

what do you think about my last post here? Do you have any idea?

It surely is. I believe that the DT has functioned this way from the start.

In early firmwares, the separately-presented transport receive and send settings were ignored, and clock receive and send settings controlled both clock and transport.

Then in firmware 1.03 the non-functional transport receive and send checkboxes were removed.

1 Like

Maybe something like this? I don’t have one, but it looks like it would fit the bill.

1 Like

I think the need of a midi clock remain… I wrote to Elektron support but I’m not having answers… what if FR…? (sorrry about the question)

Very simple and sturdy. It does its job perfectly.

Hi just putting this here as it’s the only discussion I’ve found that mentions this.

I just emailed Elektron support and apparently DT CAN receive continue/start/stop without clock now. Their reply was:

Digitakt can receive START/STOP/CONTINUE without clock info. A few years ago, receiving Clock and Transport were not separate settings on the Digitakt. Today they are separate, and you can choose only to enable receiving Transport.

2 Likes

Welcome @AndrewS.
They had a weird choice to link Clock and Transport, as other Elektrons were having both settings. Glad they corrected it.

1 Like

Totally. I guess maybe overlooked? I’m new to Elektron gear but love that they make these improvements.

Planning on using Step Audio Start/Stop pedal and Midi Mouse for program/pattern change. Merged with Midi solutions midi merger.

1 Like