Using External Sequencer to trigger sample slices via midi

I used an old post by Creepy Pants on old Bome Forum (now replaced with new Bome forum)
to create a script which I then uploaded to a newly purchased Bome Box.
This is then driven by the Pyramid Sequencer.
So I have the Pyramid triggering the sample slices on the Octatrack via midi. No more four bar loops ! I can now extend the sequences I play on the Octatrack. Most functionality still retained (more than I thought such as rate etc)

Bome script attached.
Bome Box highly recommended. Have stopped using Computer for writing music… only for mix down (and as a result have switched from Ableton to Reaper)
If U do buy a Bome Box get a decent POE power supply cos I didn’t have much fun with my dodgy old phone USB oneOcatrackSliceTriggerLaunchpadProCh11Part1.bmtp (1.9 KB)

4 Likes

Hi !
Poe definitely far superior. Took me a while to get to realising that… Many issues with micro usb for me.

I’ll admit that after spending some significant time dicking around with the script and the Octatrack I never really used it much once I got the pyramid/Octatrack combo all working,
My personality fault I think. It bugs me when things don’t seem to work, but sometimes once I get them working I’ve already lost interest,
The Octatrack has consistently frustrated me since buying … There’s some real pain in the arse functions if you try and deviate from 4 bar techno loops.
All remote triggering of the Octatrack via midi is flawed in my opinion, and there are a lot of caveats / options to mess about with (a fragile ecosystem ) to get it all working.

Once the 8t introduced the trig conditions I was happier using the internal sequencer on the 8t than trying to use the pyramid to control…
My main driver for trying to dispense with the 8t sequencer was the limitations of a boring 4 bar loop greatly reduced through the use of trig conditions,

Trying to trigger patterns on the 8t remotely is a bit of a non starter … It’s a known ‘issue’ that it’s always a pattern behind (as you describe)
Happy to help/ revisit if you want to pursue further…

1 Like

I would add… I was hoping to create a good solid live setup and that was a driver to get the two (pyramid/Octatrack ) to play nicely.
Suffice to say I’ve not been successful yet… My current thinking is probably to only use 8t + drum machine live (if I ever get there !)
Pyramid I love. Bomebox I love. Octatrack I refuse to let beat me

1 Like

Hi. I have something for you, it works, but I didn’t tested it in several conditions :
Send a Pc thru a midi processor, map a Stop and a Start > instant pattern change ! :thup:

2 Likes

That’s ingenious if it works !
Thanks, I’ll give it a go

1 Like

It works, for sure. I don’t know the limits. I want to try with my keyboard synced arp. :loopy:
I just had the midi processing idea. :wink:

2 Likes