USB Hub Recommendations?

One of those boring but essential purchases…

7 or 9 port I think.
Will be mainly controllers so USB 3 not required.
I assume OB will only require USB 2??

Any good brands to look for?

Anker look good so far but a few people have noted poor power supplies…
Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations it would be appreciated…

Thanks.

I think OB runs at fastest USB1 speeds, thus the recommendation for MTT hubs from Elektron - see other thread
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge/4199/101266
and comment on prev page
i’d wait if you need usb3 support for feedback - or get a MultiTT hub if usb2 is your most demanding (other) peripheral

Thanks!

I missed that…

My old 2.0 USB hub died, so I just got a HooToo USB 3.0 7-port hub. It also has two charging (only) ports, one for phones, one for pads. It gets very high ratings everywhere I looked. I have only had it for a few days, but it does what it is supposed to, so I am happy. ($45 USD)

I recommend this one from amazon. USB 3, powered, price is great, great size too. Been using it for a few months now.

Had an Anker 7 port. The port arrangement took up a ridiculous amount of space and it died in a few weeks anyway.

Been happy with this 10-port.

I went for this one in the end.
Quick tests look good.
Had the rytm audio running fine through it.
Need to push things a bit further but so far so good…

Anyone tried one with 4 channels a4 and 8 rytm at the same time? I can only handle 8 channels total with my current belkin hub

i think it’s important that this thread discusses the important things logically
this OB connection is running at usb1 speeds 12MB/s
all bar the most ancient of hubs will be faster than this
any bog standard recent hub will be 480
some issues arise when the hub in question cannot deal with the mixture of usb speed protocols asked of it

• thus the preference for MTT hubs whereby each port can be run at the appropriate speed for the connection
    it is possible that some issues are not about bandwidth but about the suitability of a hub which is being asked to run slower protocols simultaneously with other devices at higher speeds
    things can get compromised
    so when ruling in and out certain hubs it’s important to keep in mind what the hub is capable of and perhaps to try disconnecting slower devices (ilok perhaps which is 1.5MB/s) or faster devices (usb2 webcam e.g.)

some of the issues may be computer related too

if possible A/B with direct connections on computer and compare when using the hub sparingly

i got a cheap $10 MTT capable usb3 hub linked above, it seems ok so far, but the hub ‘seems’ to mess about with my bluetooth strength when i have power draining devices plugged in - maybe a powered hub would alleviate this drain and help - but OB takes tiny ma draw so should not be an issue

there are loads of usb2 mtt hubs and more usb3 ones to choose from

i guess i just wanted the discussion to focus on the fact that some hubs will anecdotally seem to work or fail, but a true test of the MTT capability would be to have a variety of slower (than usb2) speed devices hooked up along with a usb2 one (more bandwidth requirements than OB) and check that they all work as expected - this means the hub is managing the various usb transactions appropriately and none are compromised

hth, there are other threads in OB section, i think, btw

I went for this one in the end.
Quick tests look good.
Had the rytm audio running fine through it.
Need to push things a bit further but so far so good…[/quote]
WTF!

999,00€ :smiley:

BTW, anyone tried this one based on GL3520 chipset?