USB Audio Interfaces that can act as a mixer (w/o using a DAW)

Tascam Model 12 or 16?

They are exactly what you describe…

6 Likes

I forgot about the Tascam Model 12. Has MIDI I/O too. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Keith McMillen K-Mix definitely can do this.

iConnectivity interfaces (Audio 4+ for example) can also be set up to do routing without a computer. Its very basic but you can at least control input/output levels. The routings can be configured inside the unit.

1 Like

I can’t speak for the whole line, but the Volt 476p works as a mixer without being connected to the computer.

2 Likes

My ULmk5 has been stable in both Windows 10 and 11 for the 10 months or so I’ve had it.

Is it perhaps a driver age thing? I know Windows Driver Signing bullshit has tried to piss on my parade a few times. I had to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS to bypass that warning and get the drivers installed (Not for MOTU stuff. Just older stuff in general). I think my A&H P5 was the last thing to give me driver signing issues.

1 Like

Also this: Audient evo 16 - new audio interface

1 Like

Thanks qqq, I’ll have to read up on the K-Mix. I don’t have much room on my desk for a bigger interface, so that’s a consideration.

iConnectivity Audio4C would be great (I can use my iPad too), but that software routing matrix looks daunting. When I had a bigger setup I used the iConnectMIDI4+ and it only being able to store 1 profile inside was a buzz kill.

Thanks tdwash, I’ll have to find the manuals for the Volt series.

d4ydream, that sounds promising for the ULmk5. I don’t think it’s a Windows Driver Signing issue, it installs without any complaints, but I can’t use it as the main interface for Windows, but I can use its ASIO driver in Ableton Live. Go figure. So Live can see the Audio Express ASIO driver, but Windows can’t see it.

Thanks Icaria36, I’ve heard good things about the Audient interfaces.

I’m thinking that maybe the mixer requirement is not too important, plus I recently upgraded to Live Suite so maybe I can just have Live open all the time. Plus I no longer have a lot of hardware.

1 Like

in a pinch, i’ve used a behringer umc1820 interface as a crude ‘mixer’ (without a computer connected).

1 Like

DJ mixers with audio interfaces built in. Rocking at xone px5 here.

1 Like

Sounddevices MixPre (with musician Plugin), mostly used as audio recorder, but also works very well as USB interface. very flexible for various setups, but more on the expensive side…

2 Likes

Use a mixer, simple as that

1 Like

Thanks antimaitre, plus the UMC1820 is pretty inexpensive. Another option.

tymon, Thanks, that’s a nice mixer. Too big though. Wow, your last post was 10 years ago!

jox, those Sounddevices boxes are nice! A bit too costly for me at the moment.

Thanks Enrico, I don’t have the real estate for a mixer.

I’m using an $80 Presonus Audiobox USB96 for the time being, and the sound quality kinda stinks. No low lows and no high highs. Sounds kinda muddy. Plus the inputs bleed into its outputs. But it’s rock-solid. Maybe Presonus’ Studio series should be on my shopping list. Software stability is crucial. Good converters for the money leads me to the MOTU M4. Decisions, decisions.

I appreciate everyone’s input. Keep 'em coming!

1 Like

rocking an m4 here and really happy with it. never used it stand alone tho. never liked the cuemix software either so the M4 has been flawless. if you’ve got the funds tho… go with the rme ucx2. recording to USB would be pretty handy when the computers turned off

1 Like

I thought that the Audio4+ had a way to switch setups via the front panel… but I may be misremembering.

The routing matrix definitely has a learning curve but its also super powerful. I found it worth the time invested when I used it.

I use a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 now, with my iPad always hooked up to it. iOS with AUM or Loopy Pro is a great way to add fx/mastering.

1 Like

Can you specify how many inputs you need, do you need EQ / compression etc per track, size requirements and the budget you’re thinking of?

3 Likes

tymon, oh the RME UCX II is the one I want but my budget can’t handle it. M4 is one I’m eyeing.

qqq, the AudioConnect4+ and Audio4c can only store 1 profile onboard. If you have it connected to a computer, then it’s unlimited. I see myself spending too much time in the routing matrix when I just want to make music. The Ultralite Mk5 is near the top of my list, but it’s a little out of my budget.

rtme, I need a minimum of 4 inputs and 4 outputs. I don’t need onboard effects. The smaller the better, I’ve run out of space on my desk. Under $400 would be the best.

A small observation - I have an Ableton session running, it’s using around 50% CPU as I’m typing this. No dropouts with the Presonus Audiobox USB96. I wasn’t able to surf the web with Ableton running with the MOTU Audio Express. I’d get glitches and dropouts just browsing the forum with the Ableton session and the MOTU Audio Express. It’s an 11 year old interface so I’m sure they’ve improved their Windows drivers since then. But I’m going to put the Presonus Studio 68c on my list. I guess Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 should be on my list too.

1 Like

Tascam series 208i

Can be expanded with two of any 8 channel ADAT preamps like Tascam series 8p dyna (so up to 20 inputs)

I run the 8p dyna with my RME babyface pro fs. Yes, Tascam knows how to make good mic amplifiers although these are not as great as the RME’s. But on line inputs and without direct comparison you won’t worry about sound quality.

1 Like

4 mono in/out? Or 4 stereo pairs in/out.

1 Like

Thanks MartinH, another candidate. A bit pricey though at $500. ADAT is nice, but I don’t think I’d need it since I don’t plan on buying more hardware synths.

rtme, sorry about that, 4 mono in/out. I’d usually use them as stereo pairs.

My Scarlett 8i6 does this. Needs to be preconfigured with the software first. Not sure if the models with less inputs/outputs do this.

2 Likes