Audient evo 16 - new audio interface

New audio interface from Audient… 8/8 i/o. Expandable to 24/24, some interesting features (not sure if they’re good or not) but very interesting price - £400

Anyone used evo interfaces… any good?

1 Like

Not used the Evo boxes but my Audient iD14 has been totally reliable, has low latency, sounds good. Evo16 looks v tidy…

1 Like

Looks great! I’m fully equipped with my UAD system, but this looks like an excellent interface, especially at the suggested price point.

These previous Evo models were kind of more budget devices with plastic enclosure, very straightforward features and a bit more user friendly design. They were oriented more towards content creators and I think they did a pretty good job. Preamps were the same ones as in their older brothers from the general Audient range.

But this is something different. It’s even rack mountable :open_mouth:

Looks like TX-6 for adults.

How do people feel about the one button interface… I think it looks -fine- but I think touring it as a feature is a bit much? They’ve put a lot of thought into making it work…

I hope they made the knob a lot better. Heard nothing but bad reviews about their previous EVO interfaces and the knob.

1 Like

Happy with my id4 but I really need to upgrade at this point, this might be it?

1 Like

Looking good and a fair price point I feel.

1 Like

looks great to me. i have been holding out for the Motu Ultralite MK5, but it doesn’t seem to be available anywhere, and not coming in anytime soon, so i think i’ll pick up one of these instead. Great price point too!

1 Like

Curious to see what Audient announces tomorrow that they’ve teased with the tagline “the best just got better”.

Audient usually makes great gear, the last gen Evos were the first products they released that I felt iffy about. These look good though, seems like an upgrade to the older Evo concept in every way.

Class compliant?

Yep apparently, but they have their own drivers which they say are recommended

btw, the Evo 8 is currently being dumped for around 90 euro’s , f.e. on Amazon

“ However, due to limitations in Core Audio, OBS for macOS can only access the first two inputs of any multi-channel audio interface, and so cannot access the EVO 16’s loopback channels. Despite this not being a fault of the EVO 16, nor an issue unique to it, Audient is nevertheless hoping to include a solution in a future firmware update.”

Anyone know what this means in practice/is referring to?

I thought I’d let people know I got one of these and I’m sending it back. Bit of a shitshow to be honest.

The main issue is it makes constant noise. We’re not talking an “only teenagers can hear it” - we’re talking “even my disinterested life partner who thinks I’m too fussy” can hear it, she normally thinks I’m really OTT about noises, but the evo 16 even annoys her when it’s turned on and no audio is running through it.

I thought it was power supplies or cables, there’s some weird combination of things that can make it go away, usually some sequence of powering off the device for a while and disconnecting the USB cable from the computer - but that’s not even reliable. Sometimes it just stops, sometimes it won’t go after multiple power cycles. It’s just wild.

There have been other bugs too; random resets to the initial setup, sound routing sticking at low volumes, pops and clicks when turning on, and a real scratchy pot, which sucks when there is only one.

And some weird design decisions. Each channel has gain and volume decoupled, but you can only adjust the volume of the channels from the unit itself… the master channel you can only adjust the gain, not the volume.

I contacted support, after a few days they got back to me asking for a serial number, I sent it bay with an exhaustive bug report (something I sometimes do as part of my job). That was last Tuesday, nothing since.

This is only my second audio interface, the first a 2i2, so I’m not very qualified to give broad comparisons, but the experience has been bad.

7 Likes

if someone here uses the evo16 WITH the additional 16 digi ins pls have a look if digi channels 15&16 (23&24 in live or) work with you.
i can only record and hear loopback on these channels, not the signal that’s actually there (which shows in the evo mixer and the converters but not in ableton) and after weeks of waiting (!) the audient support wrote me that it’s a known bug…strangely i haven’t read about it nowhwere and i was really wondering, is nobody using it for the extra 16 ins or am i the only one experiencing this?

I’m considering buying this audio interface. I need 8 inputs, the price vs feature set looks impressive, and it works on Linux. What it misses vs the other alternatives I have looked up (especially the RME Fireface UCX II and the MOTU UltraLite MK5) are things I don’t need, and the price difference is significant. Some users seem to have found problems, some seem to be very happy. Given that most happy users don’t write about audio interfaces on the internet, I’m ready to give it a shot. :slight_smile:

Just a question, given that I have only synths and no plans to get a guitar / bass / drums… All these preamps, “Instrument mode”, “JFET”… can’t harm, right? I mean, I wouldn’t mind having 8 plain Line Ins but (according to my research) I will end up either paying way more (while getting more stuff I don’t need) or ending up with something that won’t work with Linux.

PS: and just for collection purposes, there was this comment somewhere else months ago:

1 Like

EVO16 user here since late May this year with multiple keyboards connected. Just to be safe, make sure you do not activate phantom power (48V) on the inputs, aside from that there isn’t really any way for you to damage equipment. It is disabled by default.

Might as well add in some thoughts in this thread considering there aren’t that many. Noise issues were present on all analog inputs and seemed to be connected to the digital gain and phantom power judging from how the device responded to an input signal and the toggling of phantom power. Made this slightly squiggly sound (think of an LFO). Logged a ticket to support (firmware 1.16) and got a response a few hours later with new firmware that wasn’t yet available on the website and instructions along with it. Haven’t had any issues since. Good quality conversion both ways and surprisingly fast to use considering it only has one knob. Upgraded from an old MOTU UltraLite-mk3 and am happy.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick feedback! 1.17 was released a few weeks ago, so should be good: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/8601986617492-EVO-16-Firmware-Change-Log

And thank you for the comment about the preamps. No phantom, it’s clear. Last question and just out of curiosity: is there a noticeable difference between plugging synths on the front or the rear preamps?