USB Audio Interfaces that can act as a mixer (w/o using a DAW)

rocking an m4 here and really happy with it. never used it stand alone tho. never liked the cuemix software either so the M4 has been flawless. if you’ve got the funds tho… go with the rme ucx2. recording to USB would be pretty handy when the computers turned off

1 Like

I thought that the Audio4+ had a way to switch setups via the front panel… but I may be misremembering.

The routing matrix definitely has a learning curve but its also super powerful. I found it worth the time invested when I used it.

I use a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 now, with my iPad always hooked up to it. iOS with AUM or Loopy Pro is a great way to add fx/mastering.

1 Like

Can you specify how many inputs you need, do you need EQ / compression etc per track, size requirements and the budget you’re thinking of?

3 Likes

tymon, oh the RME UCX II is the one I want but my budget can’t handle it. M4 is one I’m eyeing.

qqq, the AudioConnect4+ and Audio4c can only store 1 profile onboard. If you have it connected to a computer, then it’s unlimited. I see myself spending too much time in the routing matrix when I just want to make music. The Ultralite Mk5 is near the top of my list, but it’s a little out of my budget.

rtme, I need a minimum of 4 inputs and 4 outputs. I don’t need onboard effects. The smaller the better, I’ve run out of space on my desk. Under $400 would be the best.

A small observation - I have an Ableton session running, it’s using around 50% CPU as I’m typing this. No dropouts with the Presonus Audiobox USB96. I wasn’t able to surf the web with Ableton running with the MOTU Audio Express. I’d get glitches and dropouts just browsing the forum with the Ableton session and the MOTU Audio Express. It’s an 11 year old interface so I’m sure they’ve improved their Windows drivers since then. But I’m going to put the Presonus Studio 68c on my list. I guess Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 should be on my list too.

1 Like

Tascam series 208i

Can be expanded with two of any 8 channel ADAT preamps like Tascam series 8p dyna (so up to 20 inputs)

I run the 8p dyna with my RME babyface pro fs. Yes, Tascam knows how to make good mic amplifiers although these are not as great as the RME’s. But on line inputs and without direct comparison you won’t worry about sound quality.

1 Like

4 mono in/out? Or 4 stereo pairs in/out.

1 Like

Thanks MartinH, another candidate. A bit pricey though at $500. ADAT is nice, but I don’t think I’d need it since I don’t plan on buying more hardware synths.

rtme, sorry about that, 4 mono in/out. I’d usually use them as stereo pairs.

My Scarlett 8i6 does this. Needs to be preconfigured with the software first. Not sure if the models with less inputs/outputs do this.

2 Likes

I See. Seems quite expensive overseas

1 Like

I’ll throw in the SSL 12 here. Fits your budget, has 4 inputs and outputs and also has an excellent sound quality.

I had the SSL2+ once and that was usable stand-alone. Not sure if the SSL12 can but I suspect it will.

Windows driver stability I don’t know but maybe others here can help with that.

1 Like

Looks like I need to download and read some Focusrite manuals. Thanks for the info PearTreeCraft.

rtme, SSL 12 is on my list. Thanks. It was $100 off a few weeks ago. Curious how stable their Windows drivers are.

I’m starting to get option and decision paralysis. Just joking. :wink:

1 Like

Another vote for the SSL 12. Great software mixer and sounds excellent. ADAT gives you options for expanding inputs too. I run it in Windows 10 and MAC M2 Mini, no issues so far.

2 Likes

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 mk2 and mk3 can do it and that’s exactly what I use it for. Physical front panel knobs make it ideal.

2 Likes

This

1 Like

I’m using my MOTU M4 without a computer. I just use a usb c cable to a 5v plug

1 Like

Does it just sum the inputs to the outputs when a computer or mobile device isn’t connected?

1 Like

Yes.

Stand-alone operation

With a standard USB-C power adapter, the M4 can be used as a stand-alone preamp and basic mixer, with no host computer required. Simply engage the monitor button for all four inputs (and 48V phantom power, if needed) and adjust the preamp gain as needed. Connect the main outs to any line level destination, such as a PA or patch bay.

That’s from the Motu website but I confirm that it works.

2 Likes

Great, I updated my comment above to point here.

2 Likes

I’ve been searching the web trying to determine which company has the most stable drivers under Windows and Focusrite seems to get mentioned often.

Amazon had the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen on sale for $365.74 several months ago. Regular price is $549.99. Link.

Stand-alone mixer (8i6, 18i8 and 18i20 interfaces only)(3rd Gen)

1 Like

a lot of interfaces can work without having computer connection, they will keep in memory the last setting used. my question is “how can you mix your gig then?”. Yes you can control the input knob, but that’s the preamp, you can’t consider it as a mixer slider. I think you are overcomplicating your life by choosing this setup, the golden rule in a show is “anything that can go wrong will go wrong”. You definitely need a mixer, if you have space problems there are small digital mixers that can handle many more channels than real ones. In the past, I have used the Yamaha 01: it has 16 physical chs but can manage up to 40 inputs you flip the group by just pressing a button (example: group1 ch 1-16, group2 ch 17-32 etc).

1 Like