Upgrading Ableton Push 3 to Standalone

They likely didn’t themselves. FAE experts at Intel would have done it, very likely at no charge as a part of the deal. The reason you’d do this is because you need it for the interface.

Part of it is Push 3 will dual boot, and you need a communication layer between processors that is likely best done at the bios layer. Diagnostics is also another reason.

Also as i posted above Ableton is thinking very long term. The bios piece helps them keep the interface long term.

My thought as well. I’d also guess that it is likely Intel was involved to some degree in the design process, and this is part of some deal with Ableton. That’s usually how it goes.

Once you decided that you are using this line of products, why wouldn’t you use the expertise of Intel in the design ?

It will be interesting to see the timeline Ableton chooses for the introduction of upgrades. They control that to a large part.

Configuring and running a usb device with a custom bios doesnt make any sense. Using that logic, the controller version would need a custom bios + nuc to run on my mac.

I dont think Push 3 dual boots as you describe. The controller version runs just fine connected via usb to a computer. If it needed the nuc with custom bios to run, then every single controller version would also need a nuc inside, which they obviously dont have.

The controller version has a microcontroller communicating the usb protocols to the computer and the nuc is connected via usb to the controller version but since its all on the same device, its suddenly fancier than a computer with usb cable. Battery and nvme would use the additional connectors.

Well then upgrade it.

And i shall stop listening to Nick.

Hi Guys,

So …i have somes compute element in my pocket …celeron to I7 …11th, 12th and more …(normal its my job :wink: …and some Ssd …

So if i understand we have a batterie …a guys with standalone version can open it and take picture of battery please ? ( so probably not proprietary batterie …why ? The pricing for units sold over the world …totaly ridicul and better to buying battery to chiness Odm …

The real probleme to upgrade without ableton upgrade kit is for me : special Bios ? (Easy to made this …so its better that only Ableton can sold Compute element …, Operating system ??? When Ableton sold upgrade kit its will easy to put inside the operation system …so no difficulty to clone the os partition (but we must made a clone partition with a upgrade kit …and after no difficulty to distribue on the net …but no legally i think. And the BIG difficulty i think that the Thermal Plate …so impossible to find …only Ableton have it ! So peharps that Obleton sold separately spart parts (compute element, battery, thermal plate). So inam curious to see a very good picture inside the push 3 (standalone version) soecially for Battery design !

1 Like

this guy did a teardown.
Looks like the battery is custom, but the element looks pretty standard as well as the SSD:

1 Like

I pre-ordered the controller version. I imagine I am part of a large segment of the intended audience for the Push. I am new to Live (been using Logic for many years and testing Bitwig recently). I am not ready to make a $2,000 investment in hardware that, for now, and maybe just for practical purposes, requires Live, when I was not sure I want to be wedded to Live, but am willing to invest $1,000. I may also decide I don’t need standalone.

I have already purchased Live Suite though, so I’m pretty much “all in” on Live. My main reason at this point for not ordering the Standalone is that I am hopeful a faster processor will come along fairly shortly. Maybe they will do what Apple does and continue to offer a standalone upgrade based on the current offering (dropped to $800) and “Push 3 Pro” upgrade ($1,200), with a faster more efficient NUC, same storage, and longer battery life (say, 4-5 hours).

2 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/14ppose/i_was_able_to_upgrade_to_1tb_nvme_ssd_on_push_3/

This reddit user cloned the SSD to a larger 1TB SSD and was successful.

They also tried a faster i7 variant of the 11th gen element, but it failed to boot.

2 Likes

Terrible news from Intel today. They are completely killing off their NUC division, which also builds these Compute Elements.

Not sure how Ableton is going to be able to address this without making a Push 4.

2 Likes

Not so bad. As the article says Intel has decided to stop competing with their OEM customers. They are not investing more in the finished computer market. But as the article says :

Instead, it is going to rely on industry partners to continue innovating in the NUC ecosystem. Companies like ASRock are already making their own NUC-size motherboards.

The Compute Element can still be built by Intel and perhaps others.

Plus Ableton could decide to make internal changes and still make a Push 3 ( Version B ). They just need to be able to get enough parts to sell upgrades for any Version A products too.

I expect Ableton to make an announcement and reassure everyone.

3 Likes

Yeah, but as I recall, when the Push 3 was announced, Ableton specifically said they’d worked directly with Intel on the innards, including the NUC architecture. So, doesn’t this mean that, at the very least, Ableton will need to find a new partner to work with them to find upgrade solutions? A Push 3 (B) could also arguably lead to a whole lot of lawsuits and demands for returns on the original Push 3, since I also recall very clearly that Ableton said THIS version of Push would be something they are developing for years with a vision to allow users to upgrade the CPU, SSD and Battery as it is further developed.

That would be really smart in light of this announcement by Intel. I hope they do before I need to decide whether to cancel my pre-order on the Push 3 Controller.

I can certainly appreciate the concern with a preorder in place.

I’ve already got mine here.

I won’t consider a (b) version, because without a kit, it’s still a controller. To me, that means they just need something that runs Linux in order for Standalone to be future proof as much as something could be.

Considering they mention changes in technology, I’m hopeful things will work so long as they can keep the same form factor for the upgrade kit, and it sounds like that’s possible even without Intel (based on the article).

Rev A is going to be fetching the big bucks in a few years. It’s got that classic Intel warmth to the sound.

10 Likes

I don’t think that is a given. There is a difference between the NUC computer that Intel sells and the Compute Element, and memory and SSD, that Ableton puts inside the Push 3 standalone. After all when you get down to it the Compute Element is just a circuit board with a bunch of IC chips on it. Someone else, including Ableton itself, can make that board. If there is any agreement between I and A there is also an out, so that A will never be left out in the cold. Intel is not going out of the chip business.

It’s worth watching, but i see no need for real concern.

1 Like

No hit records have ever been made on devices where the processor wasn’t hitting at least 60 degrees.

4 Likes

@Jukka, I always appreciate your generous and zen-like (patient) approach to perceived disadvantages in various music making machines, but I do think there is reason for real concern here. While I agree with you that this announcement doesn’t necessarily mean the end for producing NUC components, their decision to stop making NUC computers is a very telling sign about their future investment in the NUC platform, which is a very likely sign that further development (upgrades) to NUC components could very well be dead in the water… I have not yet pulled my pre-order of a Push 3 Standalone and am still not regretting the purchase of my Live Suite (yet), but Ableton’s lack of a response prepared at Intel’s announcement is a pretty strong indication that they did not see this coming, and they lured lots of new users (including me) into the Live and Push ecosystem based on promises of upgradability of the Push 3 that may very well have just vanished. I hope this will not be true, but unless Ableton provides a very clear and direct announcement of how this will impact their development path for the Push 3 before my order is ready, I will be cancelling the Push 3 order entirely. It is also true that I will still be able to use Live no matter what this means for Push, but I would not have purchased Live Suite and would have been happy to continue using Bitwig were it not for the promise of a “long future development path” promised by Ableton for the Push 3.

3 Likes

Time to switch to apple m2 with 16 gigs of ram: )

1 Like

Good news, Intel is working directly with ASUS to take over some or all development of their NUC boards. Here’s hoping that includes the Compute Elements

Report here: https://wccftech.com/intel-selects-asus … -mini-pcs/

8 Likes

Doesn’t sound that difficult… warning of warranty being voided often mean its relatively simple. Maybe someone can go through the bios settings on a genuine NUC

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/9204692908188-Push-3-Upgradability-with-Third-Party-Parts

1 Like