Updating OS

I’m updating via usb, and sysex librarian on my MacBook Pro. Is it normal that this takes a couple of hours? I set my Digitone midi port to usb in, only. But, it seems kind of slow. :wink:

no it should take just a few minutes.
i used C6 from elektron website,
set midi in AND out to USB…

2 Likes

It takes under a minute to update. Used C6 as well.

2 Likes

Weird! I restarted my Mac before doing this. Using sysex librarian. Transfer speed set to max. I’m nearly there, after 2 hours! Hmmm. Maybe C6 would have been different.

I just used Elektron transfer app, takes about 20seconds

3 Likes

What are your pause settings?

that’s happening to me as well
updating so slow
using C6

Just tried updating with Transfer and it wouldn’t connect to Digitone, it actually showed as a Digitakt. I tried with Sysex Librarian and it took ages to send it but then the update never happened in Digitone…any ideas?

Its a bug that it is shown as digitakt, that will be fixed with this update - so connect to the “digitakt”

3 Likes

Sysex librarian is mainly made for “true” (old) din midi Synths. I am not sure, but I think, “full speed” here is only full speed of old midi. Turbo Midi over usb is much faster. Try c6 for that tasks.

3 Likes

Ok will do, cheers :+1:

Did anybody try updating under Linux? I did not try myself yet, but I probably will, so now I am just asking - do you have any verified and reliable solution, or just know that it is better not to even try?

EDIT: Does anybody know if amidi command would work? Any risk, special preparations, or something?

FYI: the amidi command worked perfectly fine for me.

If anyone is interested, here are the steps for upgrading the Digitone to 1.02, under Linux:

WARNING! The firmware upgrade is generally a sensitive process and the procedure described below is unofficial, unsupported, and therefore - I suppose - unrecommended by Elektron. So think twice, understand what you are doing, and know the risk. So anyway.

1. Open the terminal, and download the Digitone firmware:
    wget https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Digitone_OS1.02.zip

2. Unpack the ZIP file:
    unzip Digitone_OS1.02.zip

3. Connect the Digitone to USB port, and list MIDI devices to get its port:
    amidi -l
    You should see something like:
    Dir Device Name
    IO hw:X,0,0 Elektron Digitone MIDI 1
    Where X will be some number. Remember it.

4. Go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM > OS UPGRADE in the Digitone menu.
    It should display the info about waiting for SysEx.

5. Send the file to the Digitone:
    amidi -p hw:X,0,0 -s Digitone_OS1.02.syx
    Replace X with the number you got at point 3 above.
    Sending takes less than a second. Then the device displays the info about erasing, writing the firmware and rebooting, which all takes a couple of seconds. And that’s all. You should see 1.02 version number when the Digitone is rebooting.

Similar procedure should probably work for any other Elektron device and any other firmware version, provided the firmware upgrade is being realized through the SysEx protocol.

7 Likes

For OS 1.0.1 on Digitone, I used SysEx librarian because I knew how it worked for this kind of thing. But man, was it slow! I take it I can use C6 and ‘turbo midi’ even over USB? I guess that makes sense, since the TM-1 is a USB-Midi interface, I’ve just never tried using turbo midi (especially for SysEx) directly over USB before.

You can use C6 for transfers over a USB connection.

The Turbo protocol is only applicable for MIDI transfers via 5-pin DIN connections. There’s no need to think about the Turbo protocol if you have a direct USB connection between the computer and the Digitone.

Yeah that was me yesterday. I never bothered with C6 before as I thought I was sorted for that kind of stuff with Sysex Librarian. Thanks to @jox it’s done, fast as f*** too!

1 Like

Just got my digitone and am having the same problem… Tried to use the transfer app and C6. It shows up as the digitakt when configuring the midi in and out. The update file won’t work in either app… Not sure if it’s on my end or Elektrons.

Please help…

You can update the Digitone’s firmware using Elektron Transfer?

I think he’s confusing the digitone with the digitakt… There’s no indication that the transfer app works with digitone… In fact, when configuring the midi in and out with digitone. The app doesn’t even see it, it thinks it’s seeing the digitakt… This is so Elektron… Great concepts with horrible execution… At super high prices…

1 Like

Got a Digitone yesterday. Tried Transfer and no luck (works fine with Digitakt).
Tried C6 and the Digitone was updated in seconds.

1 Like