Updated to 1.40 and lost all project sounds (FIXED WITH 1.40A UPDATE)

Fortunately I did that with my favorite A4 tracks. A lot is still gone…

Please contact Elektron support.
It seems backward compatibility problems are considered as bugs if they can be reproduced.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll do!

1 Like

you know, just try to apply your existing kits on those patterns. chances are one of those will fit. or at least some happy accidents may take place

1 Like

yeah it’s nice that the melodies are still there. Will try them with new sounds. With some luck it will turn into something better than before

7 Likes

That’s the spirit. Unifono remixed.

1 Like

I’ll post it in this thread if it worked out :wink:

Do you take notes when you record into your DAW?
You might be able to recover a lot of your work at least to the extent, so that your patterns make sense again.

If you took notes of which tracks and which patterns were recorded onto which tracks in your DAW, you could at least dial in similar sounds…
Or take it as an opportunity and go nuts with the new randomizer functionality, load random sounds onto tracks etc^^

I always use a vst notepad plugin in my DAW to document important information.
Which bank in which project on my Elektrons is used (one bank is usually one track), also which patches (nr. and name) are used on non-Elektron synths.
Tempo, key and other stuff as well.

Each audio recording is always renamed to which track(s) are recorded, which pattern(s)/kit(s) and sometimes also which tweaks were made during the recording.

All audio tracks in my DAW are named according to which instrument was recorded onto a particular track, which output(s) were used and especially for OT if tracks were hard panned (i.e. for kick drums).

I use markers in the timeline so I can see where patterns start/end.

Also useful when you tweaked any tracks/patterns to shit and want the original back :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

The problems are not the patterns I recorded in my DAW , but the ones that are only on the A4. But I have a habit on which A4 tracks I have my bass, pads, melodies and drums so I at least have an idea what kind of sound it might have been…

I might try this actually. Use my melodies and randomize sounds till I’m happy :smiley:
But only after I talked to Elektron Support.

3 Likes

It may sound cruel, but maybe there‘s huge potential there to create stuff you wouldn‘t have had this not happened.

1 Like

not cruel, I can see the potential :slight_smile:
It’s just sad cause I see all these little patterns on my machines like some sort of diary. Little snapshots of the past. That sounds romantic, haha.

It was stupid obviously, I ignored the manual I guess. Still worked fine all the time, didn’t have a clue.

I can totally relate to that. Yet, it feels strangely liberating to let go, even if it‘s not deliberate.

1 Like

@Unifono, maybe mentioned, I did 't read everything, but as you saved sounds, you should be able to find them on the +drive, no?

I only saved few of them unfortunately.
I don’t want the plus drive to be crowded with sounds that only fit this one particular song…
Only save sounds that I will likely use again

1 Like

For the avoidance of doubt, and to fill in one gap in my understanding, there is only one Kit buffer per (closed)project - I recall a discussion years ago where there was a suggestion there were more, and there’s an element of truth in this too

Whilst working within one solitary project a number of Kits can have their own working buffer states, so a few patterns using unique unsaved Kits will sound as they did when you hop back and forth, but, crucially, when you exit a project, the last Kit buffer is the only one retained (this is why I speculated that there was only one (scratch) Kit in play over the preceding years in the case above)

If you return to a Project with one unsaved Kit the scratch Kit will indeed be used, but that’s a bi-product of a larger design choice, quite why there’s any temp Kit buffers held within an unopened project is a mystery to me (the reason it’s not then all Kits’ buffers is likely down to space, only the active Kit can have multiple temp Kit buffers. So someone exiting a project with more than just the last kit edit changed will be finding that all preceding edited Kits (to the last) will be returned to the last saved state or the default if not saved at all

Some of the background to this can be seen in this old AR chat, but the Kit paradigm is exactly the same for A4

Here’s it’s suggested only two temp kits in an active project, but I just tried and it worked with three (at least)

It’s well known from a number of threads, but I am not sure how explicit teh manuals are on pre-saving Kits before saving a Project, but I believe the workflow is the right one, Kits should be explicitly saved, not assumed so because every tweaks you made whilst playing would wreck a kit

2 Likes

FTR https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=save%20kits%20project

@Unifono So sorry to hear, hopefully you can recreate some.

One thing that might help in future, aside from the usual stuff like backups and saving specific date, is to always record everything, like you I see my patterns/jams as kind of like a little journal. So what I do is record a little jam and sometimes the individual tracks as well (often at the end if the jam) so that if I decide to do anything more with them later and the patterns or sounds get lost on the machines at least I still have audio of the parts to then sample.

One good thing about this approach also is that my recorder (a Tascam rackmount SD recorder) records each audio file with a time/date, so I can see when stuff was created. Obviously you build up quite a lot of recordings this way, but SD cards are cheap, and it is quite fun to listen back to stuff a few years later that you might have forgotten.

In a similar fashion I use instagram to capture little videos and pictures as a kind of journal/diary too.

4 Likes

Thanks!

I do this too for the most part. I have about the half of them as audio actually. And I have some of them also in my youtube and instagram videos. I still love to relisten to them on the A4. It sounds much more lalive hearing the sounds directly from the synth’s output

I usually record when I want to finish the track in the DAW but I have so many patterns and sketches, that I don’t have the time to finish them all. Only the favs…

Imo Elektron Machines kind of tempt one to save everything on the machine and not worry too much about audio, cause saving is so easy and convenient…, And I never lost anything on them so until now.

On the OT I never save parts. They are saved within the project. I migh have transferred this habit to the A4 kits.

1 Like

If it’s any consolation, many (most?) of us have been bit by the A4/AR internal memory structure at some point. It’s often referred to on Elektronauts as a rite of passage. There’s nothing worse than that moment when you realize your work has disappeared forever.

We know it hurts, but you’re not alone. :busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette::pleading_face::busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear. I have not updated as yet but I do save one kit per pattern, and one kit/pattern per bank in a project. I hope I remembered to save the kit and pattern and project each time.

1 Like