UDO Audio Super 6 Binaural Synth

This! In the Sonicstate video George said he hoped to ship the first desktop units within a month or so, so that’s (probably) when the firmware will be coming. Hold tight!

1 Like

i was thinking the same thing. definitely trying to replace my Peak with the desktop version though as soon as possible

the sounds around 3:30 in this video sold me on it 100%

4 Likes

In Montreal, Canada, it’s 766$ less.

1 Like

Seems like a long time for big fixes but…
They have to give the electronics / mechanical engineers something to do while the software guys work on bugs and features. Doubt much has to change in the firmware for a desktop version to be made.

That said, it’s still going to be the blue keyboard for me :grin:

Still saving up, hopefully by my birthday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought I was safe from GAS at this Superbooth as I have no space for new gear, but seeing that the Super 6 desktop is VESA mountable has just blown a hole in that defence :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This hasn’t happened till today. I restarted the synth to see if that would help but it didn’t. It never leaves my desk and has a decksaver on it. Any ideas?

I might send it back if there’s something wrong with it:(

https://youtube.com/shorts/IlaH8iN66SQ?feature=share

1 Like

wow, what a disturbing video. It’s 100% reproducible the same way even after multiple power cycles, I take it. Have you tried removing it to another room? Perhaps unhook it from everything and check it with headphones?

George is out of the country atm. marketing the desktop version. Is there anyone at UDO you can get hold of for advice? I know he’s a one man show so not sure if the office is open for returns.

Fwiw, someone from gearspace responded this

“Same thing happened to me. It’s no big deal. What’s going on is you have the VCA level cranked and you’re clipping the synth. Pull back the fader and save the patch. UDO opted to push the synth hard instead of limiting it.”

So maybe it’s normal?

Yes that’s normal. They really wanted you to abuse the clipping to get some distortion. So pull back a little bit.

1 Like

If that terrible sound came out of my synths it would destroy the whole music session in one go. I really don’t think it was a good idea to let it happen even if it is normal.

1 Like

Omg the desktop version looks amazing!! Would go very well with the grey Rytm 2! :nerd_face:

My plan is to just have ONE desktop poly and pretty much leave it at that for years to come.

I just got a used XD which is great but have been looking at ”upgrading” it to a prophet 6 or ob-6.

When listening to the demos this thing sounds amazing. It’s sounds like another level to me. Both modern and vintage. Is there even anything close?

With the desktop it would actually fit in my tiny setup.

Reading about the firmware is somewhat worrying though, but I we probably don’t need to worry since an update is on it’s way?

1 Like

Do you think the desktop will sell out instantly?

If not, I might wait for the new firmware since I really need MIDI to work well. But I guess the desktop would be pretty pontless if MIDI wasn’t fixed right away :sweat_smile:

*never mind, saw another interview and learned that the new firmware will be released at the same time as the desktop version

Have you seen this?

It’s of course thanks to the talented artist and not the gear, but these Super 6 patches completely blew my mind :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I feel a little stupid asking this, but is this sarcasm? I’m not great at reading tone when it’s just text on a screen :-/

1 Like

Not sarcasm at all. I remember reading in an earlier thread in GS about it. If you want you can send it to UDO support just to get the final word whether it’s true or if your synth needs repair.

1 Like

I was at Superbooth on Saturday, and I can confirm that the desktop version is absolutely gorgeous in real life as well. No other colors planned than the light gray one, according to UDO. Which is a shame, as I really like the blue keyboard.

Just in case anybody else got confused as I did: Desktop has no additional physical controls compared to the keyboard. That new filter control over the high pass filter and other additions, which are planned for the new firmware, do not translate to new knobs or sliders.

The price point is a bit of a bummer, imho. The savings compared to the keyboard are not big. I really don’t like the plastic-y feeling Fatar keybed they use (although most reviews seem to feel differently). But it does give great control over aftertouch. While I was convinced that the desktop is the thing to go for, I’m not that sure any more, given the price difference.

Also, I’d be extremely surprised if they would be easy to get hold off. Hard to find a dealer who has the keyboard ready to ship (at least in Germany).

4 Likes

That’s dope! Gonna try later

2 Likes

I had a Voyager a few years back, and when I ran the headphone out into the audio input for feedback and cranked it up, it clipped like that too. Just watch that gain staging. Try if by slowly moving that leveler if you can catch a sweetspot. But if you are still unsure, contact UDO.

1 Like