UDO Audio Super 6 Binaural Synth

I’ve owned one for a bit now. I haven’t noticed any bugs. Not saying they aren’t there. I just haven’t had any experience encountering them and it hasn’t impacted my playing and enjoyment of the synth.

1 Like

Not sure if it is really relevant if he owns one or not, if you have been into synth gear long enough you should know that companies need to keep new products in motion while working on firmware, it is just how it works if they want to stay in business. More so now than ever with covid slowing down the cycle of getting pcbs and testing and such. But also this is barely even a new product considering it is a desktop version of the same synth which likely shares almost all of the firmware. Not saying you aren’t right to be mad about year old bugs but I bet UDO does get to the bugs eventually but right now we don’t really know, there is always the option to sell the super 6 and move on to a more mature product that is bug free.

8 Likes

Yes, and on the Sonic State video George said a major firmware update is coming.

4 Likes

It does matter. Period. Make informed opinions.

His right is to have his own opinions and feelings, especially if he spent money on a buggy hw

3 Likes

My post is to warn others that as a person who spent 2400€ on a synth more than a half year ago, still waiting for critical bugs to be ironed out, basic features like midi usb, etc. what can they expect of a company, that has prioritized moving into a different project.

Small companies don’t get jail free cards because they are “cool” (great word to describe something btw), specially for products of that price tag.

Love the synth regardless, like the engineer and will keep it. But it is always a good business practice to keep existing customers happy. Gota go have to go practice for my debate class tomorrow.

6 Likes

Love my S6 and can make some wicked stuff on it despite the “bugs.”

1 Like

I would have thought Midi Usb would have been out already. A lot of folk love it.

1 Like

There is MIDI over 5 pin, but my MIDI interface is mostly for a couple of vintage synths I have and some pedals. USB hubs are cheaper, etc. It does affect my use, because of my setup that I control everything mostly from My DAW. Anyway

Cheers mate

2 Likes

I know i recently bought a Kenton Midi host and it ain’t cheap. I was one of the first to pre-order the Super 6 but backed out at the last second. I just didn’t gel with the product after the initial excitement and passion George had. I wish him luck with this as he is a ‘dreamer’ which we need but i don’t think he’s the best businessman, as most engineers aren’t.

Looks like something I want but can’t afford right now :grimacing:

Aww feck. There goes “lack of space” as being my insurmountable barrier to thinking about buying this synth.

6 Likes

Nah, it’s not like that in this case. George posted on the udo forum about the delay in firmware. With pandemic and shortage of chips, and him be only coder he has been getting smashed with work but he is whole heartedly behind this product. Don’t worry firmware will be coming.

3 Likes

I’m afraid I must agree with this. I’ve owned my Super 6 for more than a year looking forward to the firmware update ride and knowing to not set firm expectations, but then…nothing at all!? I even said here that I bought it for the MPE. All along, I have faith that UDO is doing their best (profit motive, etc.), and complaining about delivery times is only ever counterproductive. Then recently, some people start getting ansy in the UDO forum.

It starts picking up pace—not abusive or anything—then George personally weighs in pleading a personal case of emotional health among other things. It works: not just my and others’ likes on his post, but a repetitive stream of people who feel the like button isn’'t enough offering their emotional support, an endless barrage that I have to unsubscribe from the firmware thread due to three-week stream of notifications of the same repetitive and lengthy “keep up the good work” people exhibiting their detailed abilities to sympathize with George’s plight. So, fine, I figure sometimes there’s a human story behind the business. Then George comes out with a new product, which turns out to be the entire explanation of why the firmware’s been neglected and why I still have a non-functional MPE button.

I’m used to boutique inventors and developers managing expectations, and these things are always delivered much later because development always takes longer than you think, not shorter. Sensibly, they never promise firm delivery dates, and I always read between the lines when someone is managing my expectations. This one, though, just seems deceitful: all along, George faced that hard deadline of Superbooth for the new product they were discretely developing, and treated us like fools in the meantime by using himself as a human shield. Just a businesslike “we’re working on it, plus some new <things, etc.>” would have sufficed instead of getting a forum so filled with bad discussion driving out the good that he’s probably now encouraged to go on a sympathy run whenever needed.

That said, polychain is indeed promised:

Given the price, though, this new product is clearly for new buyers, not Super 6 owners looking to add on at 50-75% of the cost of the main unit, as opposed to nearly 100% ( I paid GBP 1833). Neglecting the firmware was a long term business strategy, not some emotional hiccup.

4 Likes

What are other critical things still waiting to be improved?

It sounds incredible, hopefully the new firmware sets it straight.

1 Like

Critical is relative to what is important to each one of us, I know synth manufacturers can’t keep everybody happy.

Because of my setup, USB MIDI is pretty critical, MIDI CC as far as I remember wasn’t there too even for MIDI Pin, I control everything from my DAW, even if this is specific for my specific workflow, USB MIDI is a feature always present on modern synths (specially at that price point).

But some might argue is not critical.

Patch saving was a nightmare, every new firmware release will make useless any presets previously saved, now they have a tool to migrate but is another additional task, several issues with the arpeggiator, specific issues with the filter, the list goes on. Maybe some have been ironed out, but decided to stop using it until midi usb implemented, almost 2 years and waiting. I was one of the first buyers before commercially available.

Dont get me wrong love the sound, the esthetic, the engineer, but as another user mentioned, owner forums are full of unhappy users with the firmware all sympathetic to the company, but being small, please iron out basic bugs and add basic functions as usb midi.

1 Like

It’s one of the best-sounding synths I own and has a superb user interface. I can’t think of any instrument I’ve bought in many, many years that I’ve liked better. I don’t involve computers in my music, so I use it similarly to how I used my Jupiters in the past but with the added advantage of a sequencer. Sure, there are things I’d like sorting out, changing or fixing - probably things others aren’t concerned about - but I’m fortunate because none of them stop me playing it, recording it, loving it.

It’s always a good idea to read reviews and listen to other users before buying something major, and to never assume that everything will become as you wish (or even as advertised) after purchase. That said, without the support and trust of those who go in before their wishes are satisfied, some great pieces of gear would have faltered and faded away.

I think all will work out and that the module might help the company keep going until they can get someone to help with the coding. I very much doubt there was a lot of new development work required to make it.

3 Likes

I guess when you bought it, you knew that USB midi was not working yet? If that was critical to you, you shouldn’t have bought it until they added that feature. Always buy something as it is NOW, not what it might be in the future.

Also, they confirmed that a major firmware update will be released at the same time as the Desktop version will be available. So that will be pretty soon. Also having 2 products with the same firmware only strengthen the motivation for the company to keep the firmware up to date.

4 Likes

Jesus the price tho, it’s the same as a standard Keybed version right? I love it, as I do the original super 6, but after getting an OB6 module as an investment due to an unexpected windfall…I will never be able to afford this thing. My line of credit is basically non existent (a few hundred quid with klarna and a PayPal credit account that has 2 quid left and needs paying off)

Wish it was slightly more attainable for us broke shlubs. Looks and sounds fucking stunning tho.

2 Likes