Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

ym2616 has the famous “ladder effect” glitch where the negative edge of waveforms get nudged out of place creating a unique distortion effect. Even other ym chips like the 3438 don’t have it, so like they say in their videos the 2612 has the potential to be dirtier than the dn.

Also in CH3 mode the MEGAfm won’t have fixed ratios, and I think the DN has only fixed ratios. (edit: recent firmware update added ratio offsets)

Different applications of aliasing will also result in different sounds in the DN and the ym.

3 Likes

IIRC a recent firmware update for the Digitone introduced ratio offsets.

2 Likes

Shame it’s not 2 part multi-timbral. Would be a great partner to the DN anyway

No CC control yet, and personally not a fan of DAFM’s UI.

Looking at MegaFM to replace a few pieces and accompany DN. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, the DN doesn´t have fixed ratios yet. I spoke to elektron about it and it is a highly requested feature. They are evaluating if it is possible to implement it or not. It´s an FM classic. Don´t see why not. The limit of 80 setting locked at the same time would still be true. UI wise it would fit well on the same page as the offsets.

Sorry for the confusion; apparently the Digitone does not offer fixed ratios, the offset just lets you go beyond harmonic ratios (.25, .05 etc)

1 Like

Coincidentally I was listening to a long playlist of PC98 soundtracks when the megafm was revealed, check it out if you’re into that kind of thing. I think these are mostly made on the 2608 not the 2612 but they’re pretty similar sounding.

3 Likes

Got very similar results with DN and Digdug Diy PurpleRain.

1 Like

The Purple rain is much grittier and has lower bit rate than the YM2612.

Do we know if all the parameters are MIDI controllable?

On new version there is Dry/wet knob to adjust effect but yeah not identical at all

I´ve emailed them to ask about midi CC, multi-timbrality and SSG mode.

4 Likes

Dayum this thing sounds legit.

Missed that one, I may check it out now. Not a fan of wobbly pots. Edited post.

this looks and sounds really really nice. hoping to see lots more info on it over the next few days please from the company and everyone at NAMM thank you :smiley:

Yeah I’ve had GenMDM since 2012 and even tho the digitone gets into certain sega territories there are some really cool things with sega and modulation that can come up with some great sound design . So yeah I Definantly want to pair my DN with this thing Dual YM chips seals the deal , here’s like 4 sega channels being controlled at the same time by the OT and some rytm drums…

then imagine 12 channels of sega FM :wink:

7 Likes

Yea that sounds great! I’ll see how far I can push my DN/OT/DT setup. Maybe I’ll get lucky with some single cycle waveforms (on the DT) and some bitcrushing (DN samples). But if I get bored of the DT I’ll more than likely grab this 12 voice Fm synth…

1 Like

But if you don’t have the money for a MegaFM then 80$ uSD for the new version of GenMDM can sill produce heavy productions with some good midi implementation from either octatrack or ableton live Max for live. Super willing to help anyone with their GenMDM sega midi interface HMU

3 Likes

I’ll check it out for sure. Maybe this would be a good fit for the blackbox instead. I really need a synth for it ($80 is kind of a no brainer but I am working with Bitwig GRID at the moment) and I am getting really good results with FM waves.

Waiting for NAMM to get an idea of the workflow with this MEGAfm. Glad people are still interested in those old school sounds :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://catskullelectronics.com/genmdm

Now with TRS midi and super stable teensy parts :slight_smile:

1 Like