Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

I reckon this looks pretty smart. Not something I’ve got a hankering for any time soon but maybe in the future. I look forward to seeing some decent photos of the unit so I can get a decent flavour for the UI… it’s a bit tricky deciphering the blurry, tight promo shot and the flashy vid. Presumably (hopefully!) there will be some run through to at NAMM if they’re there.

I disagree, I have a Korg DS-8 that can do all kinds of voice-modes including fully multitimbral and it’s a fully editable polysynth. The way it works is you edit your patches all you want, save them, and then when you enter multi-mode you assign a patch per voice and choose how it is addressed. No reason at all that this couldn’t have a multitimbral mode, the Korg Prologue is basically a knob per function polysynth, very tactile, and it is multitimbral. It’s a thing.

Totally right! I think my only con for DN is the lack of velocity sensitivity. Unless with a keyboard that’s different? If so … want! I need to check out the full spec of the megafm. But it definitely sounds amazing!

1 Like

This is very nice, and sounds pretty

1 Like

Hope you’re right, I just got the vibe from their marketing that they’d keep it simple with one timbre at a time. DS8 is easier to program than a tx for sure but far from knob per function. I was actually surprised that the prologue was bitimbral when it came out since that seems to be less common in recent synths.

1 Like

I hope so too, but I don’t think it’s that uncommon these days, Prologue has it, Summit has it, I think the Sequential polys have it, and there are a few more I can remember seeing. It does seem like it used to be really popular back in the day though so I know what you mean.

1 Like

Nice to have a “channel 3 mode” at least (the operator frequencies on channel 3 of the ym2612 can be set freely and dont have fixed ratios).

2 Likes

Sorry, couldn´t resist even though most are kind of obvious from the description on their page. :sunglasses:

Doesn´t seem to have an SSG mode but the LFOs could probably be used as such. Sysex over DIN5 midi isn´t that modern either. A USB-midi connection would have been great.

3 Likes

Clearer picture fron their soundcloud. Looks solid AF.

10 Likes

I’m glad that you couldn’t resist… I think that the ‘?’ in the LFO section of your diagram means noise or sample and hold LFO shape based on the video guide I watched for their TherapKid (another cool synth!) that I also watched today.

2 Likes

Their hardware is built nicely , the acid8 mk3 etc look solid.

sounds lovely :birthday::ok_hand:t4:

Bought one and ended up not using it. :sweat_smile:

The MEGAfm should be in a different league in terms of build and versatility.

Was it difficult to handle UI wise with the menu diving? Does midi cc work?

looks great to me. sounds nice too. no idea why yamaha can’t make a modern FM synth in this form factor.

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on Yamaha. Those guys are too crippled by their own reputation to do anything cool.

They should be leading the FM charge, and Korg out-innovated them with a $150 Volca.

5 Likes

Excited times we are living in.

4 Likes

Damn, finally a knobby/fadery fm synth!
I must be dreaming?

Thought about getting the Reface DX + programmer, but that only gives access to one operator at a time via the programmer.

This thing looks like dashit :wink:

The embedded SoundCloud demos are very nice, and it’s a pretty piece.

Sound-wise, seems like Digitone could cover most of it?

Looks like they did a really good job on the control surface on this one. Tempting…