Tutorial: Beginner Synthesis with Analog Four

Fantastic video Scot. I thought the pacing and and delivery was excellent. A pleasure to watch. Thankyou

1 Like

In case you need some inspiration :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, beautiful sounds there. I don’t have a Prophet-6, so I suppose I’ll just have to settle for this old thing for inspiration:

7 Likes

I feel sorry for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The old thing looks fantastic.

1 Like

It didn’t when I got it - it was utterly trashed and didn’t work properly at all. I had it restored by Wes Taggart of Analogics, who also re-cabinetted it in curly maple, as he did with my Minimoog. It has given me many beautiful sounds over the years - and a few breathtaking maintenance bills too!

3 Likes

Great Scott… sorry… That was great, Scott.
Thanks very much indeed.

1 Like

Very good beginner tutorial I think.
Very clear and understandable, even for a french guy like me.
I’m not a synthesis beginner, but I’m waiting for the next one for pads. :wink:
After 2 months with A4 I know almost all parameters but for the moment the OSC X page is the one I have to work on.

3 Likes

Great tutorial. Perfect pace and presentation. Nice patch. This one covered stuff I was pretty familiar with already but for beginners it would be excellent. Great job :slight_smile: looking forward to you getting weirder/deeper on some future ones :slight_smile: Keep em coming!

1 Like

Fantastic video Scot, one of the best beginner synthesis tutorials I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Great work, Scot. You’re a natural at this.

1 Like

Really helpful, thanks.:+1:

1 Like

I’m so glad this has been helpful. More will certainly follow!

6 Likes

Excellent work on this video!

1 Like

Just seen this on yt, it is awesome. Congrats @Scot_Solida on your excellent work, I’m sure it will help a lot of people.

Quick question: what does the infinite setting in the envelope section do? I’ve never used OB and I don’t see this option in my AK

1 Like

Thanks, I hope it helps. The Infinite envelope does just what you’d expect: it simply sustains indefinitely. This is quite similar to some synths that have an infinite hold or drone switch. You can do a lot of cool sounds by having it drone on indefinitely and modulating amp, filter and other parameters with LFOs or other modulation sources. Before I got my first sequencer, I use to use this sort of thing to make psuedo-sequenced sounds similar to Klaus Schulze’s ARP Odyssey sound (“Totem” from Picture Music).

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Do you know how to engage the infinite option in the actual hardware synth?

'fraid I don’t! I think it may an “Overbridge-only” feature (like individual outputs). Maybe I’m wrong? (I have not yet updated to the latest A4 OS).

? Hold or infinite is a normal behaviour no ?
Can’t test right now.
Is there a way to record portamento / legato while live playing ?
Should be added to wish list ? Like automatically plocks Note Slides ? For me it should be recorded, and with the ability to chose Note Slides after. :confused:
Same for polyphonic realtime portamento. Should work the polyphonic “Use Tracks” and poly activated function…:confused:

1 Like
3 Likes

Hey, that’s neat!

3 Likes