Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99 Netflix Documentary

I loved going to ArcTanGent festival. So many camping chairs left behind. Sunday morning was an ocean of the things. I’d load up on them, clean them up and flog them to make some ticket money back. :smiley:

4 Likes

Lollapalooza is still cleaning up, four days after:

Either these mushrooms survived unscathed, or they came up after Sunday.

Apparently you can’t even give Liquid Death away.

4 Likes

Hahahah

Wikiing a bit, I found this Woodstock 94 anecdote pleasing:

• Aphex Twin’s performance was cut short when promoters “disconnected” him mid-show for signing a fake name on a contract, which would forfeit PolyGram’s rights to his performance.[14]

So I don’t regret missing it

1 Like

The reason it went south was mentioned in the first 15min. of Episode 1.
“We had to make a profit” - boomer in charge.

1 Like

It was interesting for sure and amazing how the organisers were so wilfully oblivious to the mounting problems. Also (as a huge Bush fan who later got into Korn back in my early teens), I admire Gavin Rossdale’s take on the whole thing, like he could sense the hate and bad vibes. It’s hard to find one specific point of blame tho, but contributing factors turned it into a hellscape that ended the Woodstock brand for good. Fascinating stuff.

1 Like

Actually it’s not hard.

250’000 teenagers + disgusting toilets on THE FIRST MORNING already + 4$ water = shitty festival

“We had to make a profit”

Sure, “shitty festival” but not total carnage, violence and sexual assault. Lack of shade must also play a part, as well as a whole bunch of other stuff that made people into animals

1 Like

I was there, not a popular statement around here I’m guessing.

I had a way different experience than the documentary. They paint a pretty negative directive. That said, I didn’t attend the trendy metal bands. Not a fan of Limp B/Korn type music. Luckily missed all that negativity, looked awful. Nor did we riot, though it was wild as it unfolded in front of us.

I had a great time other then getting super burnt.

@craig Bush was awesome! Probably the best performance of the weekend. I could never understand why Bush had a mosh pit, all makes sense now.

9 Likes

No, this is great. Maybe the documentary was over egged in places. Fascinating to get your own take on things.

Seen them five or six times. Loved every moment. Razorblade Suitcase is masterful.

3 Likes

:100:

1 Like

finished watching last night, what a shitshow… this “we gotta make profit” statement and blaming on everyone except themselves attitude from the two main guys is unacceptable.

there’s a lot you can blame on the kids being assholes themselves, that is true, but 9$ for a pizza slice, 4$ for water and no shade, fields of trash not being picked up, overflowing shit from the toilets, contaminated tap water and very little professional security is 200% production fuck up.

why the fuck would you not have acceptable prices for basic things like water and maybe at least one two food vendors that will provide a simple accessible food like sandwiches for everyone? I don’t understand… and you take everything at the gate and prevent people from bringing their own food/drinks? yeah fuck you buddy, that’s not fair, that’s pure greed.

i suppose that in 250k people event not everyone having the same “bad” experience, and some people did have a good time, especially when you’re young and little of the issues concern you, but the parents of these kids must have gone mental when they’ve seen this neglect from production. the amount of trash and the toilets and contaminated water was fucking disgusting. i’m not pro violence by any means, but i totally get why the kids burnt the place to the ground.

2 Likes

At one point they sayed they were like animals.
I think that applies to the hosts of this shitshow too.

Watching this was one big wat de fak!

Treat people like/worse than animals and watch them turn into animals.

2 Likes

I sure will never forget my first festival. Southside 2003 in Germany.

The Lineup is absolutely stunning, even to this day.

I mean, look at this: Radiohead (which I missed half of because of Sigur Ros playing at the same time), Massive Attack, Underworld, Royksopp, Sigur Ros, Goldfrapp etc.

On the small stage there were like 8 bands I really liked playing one after the other the whole day… I think it started with Gus Gus and went til Royksopp and Sigur Ros. Absolutely mindblowing day.

And the end on Sunday. Seeed were playing when the sun set (a German Reggae/Dancehall band and a blast as a liveband, especially on a hot summer evening) and when it was dark Massive Attack took over. I still remember the first tones of “Future Proof” playing in sync with the screens on the stage. Gives me goosebumps while typing.

The crowd was quite ok back then because the lineup didn’t have too much Bro-type music, but 3 years later I came back and it was much worse. And it was the same as mentioned above with the trash. Tons of tents left over, fucked up staff and organization. There was a storm on the last day and it seemed the rest was cancelled (which was the second time I missed Maximo Park due to bad weather…). We packed our stuff quickly and went to the cars, but then while we were trying to get off the pacrking lot the music resumed. We left anyway but the pulled it through until like 4AM. But then in the morning they didn’t give the people more time to get up but drove the people away viciously at like 9am, which led to some small “riots” with toilets falling over etc.

I have been to one big festival since: Melt festival because of Portishead which was worth it completely. But I stayed in an appartment instead of camping then. And I am lucky enough to have a really nice independent festival (Maifeld Derby) very near, which I can visit and stay at home without a problem, so no more big festivals for me in future.

1 Like

…worst festival weather fuk up in my life was the last open air version of time warp…

it was a huuuuge set up…and the night before, a storm ripped it all apart so badly, that the whole festival had to be cancelled before the get go due to total destruction…

There’s a good episode of Metal Evolution- I think it’s the nu-metal one - where they talk about this. Fred Durst is interviewed in it, if I redcall, and comes across like a right bellend.

1 Like

Time stamp 28:27 if anyone’s interested

Watched the whole thing now.

Didn’t need to be three hours long really, did it.

A lot of bollocks being chatted as well. The whole bit about how Aggy the crowd were after Korn was such bollocks, more fuel for Gavin and his Jesus complex. I mean, fucking Korn?

Hardly fucking Dying Fetus, is it?

I fucking hate Nu Metal. Hated it then, hate it now. Fred Durst is, was and always will be a narcissistic dicksplash, but the behaviour of the crowd had nothing to do with Limp Bizkit. No-one is rioting cos Fred Durst told them to, otherwise how did Limp Bizkit manage to ever play a gig anywhere without a riot breaking out? The crowd’s behaviour was exactly what happens when you take a large crowd of people, piss them off, then leave them in an essentially lawless situation with little to no security or consequences. Once the less savory element of that crowd realise they can do whatever they want, they will do whatever they want, whether you’ve booked Limp Bizkit or Celine Dion.

9 Likes

Wyclef Jean is responsible.

He fucking murdered Hendrix’s SSB, out of tune shite.

Then he told everyone to throw plastic bottles! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

:joy:

Yeah that Fred Durst - what a bell end, angry “tough guy” posturing is pretty comical though.

Best thing about the docu was the haircuts.

4 Likes