Track Challenge: Go Digital

That was excellent! Thanks for partaking!

Yeah, I’m certainly not planning on doing that within one hour challenge :smiley: I can’t even get my engines running within that time.

How’d you do that stop action in the track?

Done!

Under one hour, no resampling. Digitakt only.
Very messy - and quite long - it’s just one take of messing around with two patterns. :diddly:

22 Likes

Woohoo! Thanks for playing, Simon!

Edit: that was lovely! Thanks for sharing!

@Ryan yes one hour is a tough challenge. But really fun. I usually spend more time with OT and it feels like one hour. That stop action was simply stopping and starting the sequence. Cool challenge but this one hour limit is crazy when sculpting sounds. This 1 hour felt like 20 minutes. It has something to do with timetravel…

@Ess cool track. How is DT with realtime morfing? I mean can you achieve some similar trickery like with a fader on OT?

1 Like

I think the idea originated(for me) in the cowbell challange where a guy was only going to spend 20 minutes on his track.

I didn’t want to ask anyone to be THAT Ninja. An hour seemed hard enough. :smiley:

Stopping and starting the sequence! That’s insane! Like Elektron parkour to me :smiley:

Hahah! Elektron parkour! I used to breakdance for 13 years :ecstatic:

1 Like

I´m in too… but with my RYTM - have to proof to myself, I don´t need a DIGITAKT :relieved:

heading for a few days off to the coast right now - loaded the sample and take the rytm with me…so mid next week we´ll see what happend

1 Like

Hah, just checked the time stamps, I made the whole thing in 28 minutes. :heat:

Sort of, the ctrl-al trick can be used for some neat drastic changes. Not morphing per se though.

6 Likes

My DT arrives today… I think after doing some first step things tonight I will gonna do this challenge this weekend with the new family member! Within an hour I have to know it a bit first… Or shall I just do this challenge with the DT right out of the box… hmmm, thats what I called challenging…

1 Like

Just go and jam away. Set the alarm after 1 hour. Then record it and that’s it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Damn… you’re making a solid case for buying the DT…

I swore I was going to try to focus on my savings, but we’ll see…

1 Like

haha Just give in already man!

Cracking tune @Ess really looking forward to delving into things when my DT arrives

I just bought a NordDrum3p and an AR. The deals kept coming and I kept saying yes! Now I’m staring at my bank account in suspense.

So maybe in 6 months.

I know if I ever get another OP-1 I’ll definitely have to pair it with the DT for a nice Tiny Desk Symphony

BTW: anybody wanna buy a MDUW+ :smiley:

3 Likes

I dont think I could give the OP-1 another go. But I’m keyboardless right now - has got me thinking that a future purchase will be needed at some point. Do I go with Kontrol for DAW purposes or think “fck it” and go for a simple hardware synth… Now thats for another day!

Will hopefully find the time to give this challenge a go soon.

Allright… Here it is. I unpacked the thing (DigiTakt) this afternoon, couldnt resist… Sat down with it one hour (and 20 minutes) ago and made this with that one sample. Ugh… difficult with a machine under your fingers you hardly know. Well it was fun, challenging and educational. Recorded only one take… enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/yloopz/first-touch

9 Likes

It’s like you’ve captured the first screams out of your new little friend… that’s how it’s done!

2 Likes

Quick sketch… All OT. 5 patterns + 3 scenes + mutes.

No p-locks = kinda static overall. Was trying to do something kinda Delia Derbyshire vibe vs modern glitched out. Probably should have used p-locks to add some variation…

6 Likes

I thought that was great! It kinda sounded like an old Les Savy Fav song musically except with dial up modem.

Also I hadn’t heard of Delia Derbyshire, checking it out now- good stuff!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks, glad you liked it :slight_smile: Never listened to Les Savy Fav, will look em up.

I struggle with challenges like this… Too used to just sketching ideas out in hardware then throwing them in daw for editing/adding live instruments (guitars/synths/drums etc). My ‘100% hardware’ sequenced tracks always sound kind of static/unfinished. I always cop out and take it to Daw… I should try to have more patience with hardware programming :wink:

Cool challenge tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first completed work on an Elektron box:

-or if you prefer-

Recorded directly off the Digitakt, no post processing (except the video version has some of the camera mic mixed in). The Launchpad Pro is being used as a MIDI note grid.

Recorded live in one take. Took about ten tries, though…

No resampling: Technically, I uploaded the sample to the Digitakt, then played it unprocessed while sampling so I could get it into the sample buffer. From there I sliced out various parts. All samples used on the track are these unprocessed sections of the original smaple.

Took about half an hour to make the sample slices (It was my first time doing this on the Digitakt), about half an hour to build the tracks up. And way too long setting up recording, camera, and doing takes, interruptions by children, Digitakt crash, dinner, more takes… then video editing, format conversion, uploading… oy vey!

4 Likes