Tr-8 or Rytm?

Pick up a TR8 sh for low money at the moment. Great machine for jamming and live work. I got a TR-8S to go with my A4 and find the combo really satisfying…blend of the sponeneity of the Roland with the versitility and depth of the A4 works really well.

funny enough the guy has a tr-8 and a 8s 8s in 550 vs the 350

1 Like

thanks for everyone with the posts so far, such a struggle lol

1 Like

It’s worth the extra money. The S is just a way, way more flexible machine. It’s has all the sounds that would be on the loaded 8 too, plus way more.

true but liquid cash is like 350 right now cause i sold some computer parts, so their is budgeting myself. I might just say screw it on the rytm

I had a TR-8, then a TR-8S, now a Rytm mk2.

The faders are the killer feature for jamming/live. There is a very straightforward purity to the TR-8 that is just fun. However you are stuck with TR sounds (very good ones, and actually rather flexible) and fixed track assignments. The 8S allows you to put any sound on any track, to set up track trigging to layer sounds, and use insert fx on each track to shape the sound further. You can load samples. You have a basic FM percussion engine.

This is all really good. You can do a lot with the 8S! However, I found myself spending a lot of time in the menus on the tiny screen making kits. It does take time. You can make good sounding stuff. But it’s not massively enjoyable as a creative process. The Rytm is much nicer in that regard - especially if you get on with the Elektron UI for sound design / editing.

The ARmk2 also has analogue filters and overdrive and actual sampling/resampling capability - this puts it in a different category to the 8S for me.

The Rytm is the most complete machine, no doubt. But all are good. And if you like 808/909/606 sounds you can see the TR-8 as an 808 or 909 with some performance and QOL upgrades at a really nice price.

The TR-8S is a TR-8 with a feature request list thrown at it. Great box but it’s down to whether you gel with separating the kit prep work from the jamming/performing.

I have found the ARmk2 to be the deepest and most enjoyable as a creative tool, but given that you are already using OT and A4, that might not be what you need.

3 Likes

Thanks and good take on my question.

I actually completely forgot about the Tr-6s so the baby of the 8s, with its smaller foot print to go with the it is black as well xD it has sequence and param locking, can get chords and other sounds as well as an option for Midi sequencing etc. hmmm new gear choices…

1 Like

FWIW while the Rytm is now my main drum machine, I ended up buying a TR-06 as an additional simple TR drum machine because I kind of missed that aspect of the TR-8. No faders but much smaller footprint and has a few other features like probability and trigger outs which are useful to me. And cool for just jamming out x0x beats.

1 Like

I think this shows the capability of the TR8s quiete well, and was the vid that made me interested. From a performance point looks quiet capable. On the RYTM you load often samples anyway. (But they sound good through the filters.) If you would now couple this TR8s thing with a Vermona filter, or any other filter module?

1 Like

Someone made a very good tuning table for the Analog Rytm:

1 Like

I’ve owned a TR-8 and TR-8S, RYTM unfortunately not. A TR-8 with all the kits is still useful. As some have said, I don’t know how much I would want to pay for one though. I don’t know how esoteric the RYTM is to use, if you already know a few Elektron boxes it shouldn’t be all that unfamiliar.

Point being, if you have a decent Roland X0X sample set and load it on the RYTM I think you are getting more value for your money with the RYTM.

Just to tick of some of the items about Roland.

-I am not a Scatter hater, but in the years I owned the TR-8 and the TR-8S Scatter FX never made it to many of my final productions.

-BPM Sync/BPM control. I’ll be honest, I don’t know what you mean. Those are both fine, simple and normal on all my past/present Elektron and Roland gear. I’ve never found I prefer one over the other. I typically use an Elektron as the MIDI master…but why wouldn’t you with most of Elektron’s sequencer ability.

-I think the heavy sidechain kick thing has been done to death so I don’t think you are losing much there with the RYTM (does it have audio input? could you emulate something like this on the RYTM?).

Rytm. Always and forever.
Sold my TR8 for good reasons. Really poor sequencer capabilities. Sounds were ok.

Rytm: Great analog machines, sampling and scenes.
Rytm and A4 == one of the best purchases in my life.

1 Like

im getting some good Rytm yes now.

Man the tr-6s used seems like a stellar deal with USB multitrack recording.

Thinking about picking up a drum machine too but in no rush. Think I’m going to wait and see how the Korg Drumlogue does. I would like a Rytm but don’t think I want or need another Elektron sequencer in the mix (for my workflow at least, 2 is plenty - know others differ). I quite like the look of the AVP Ritmobox and it’s big brother too. Have also thought about a 4ms Pod and a Squarp Rample to be honest too…option paralysis so just gonna push what I have!

Those are m thoughts right now, but i really have nothing for basic drums and hi hats unless I want to use Octa tracks for drums. Nothing to Midi control with tho really.

I think this is your most important post thus far. It outlines a clear purpose for the new box, whichever it ends up being.

Seeing that money is capped at $350 (and respecting that), I’d say go with the TR8 or TR6s. Both will fulfill amicably the purpose you have in mind for them. Personally I’d pick the TR6S for the added flexibility and smaller form factor. Just remember that you’re not getting married to your gear, if you don’t like it you can always sell it and if you like it a lot, you can still buy another box down the line :wink:

Also a quick note: not sure about US pricing, but a fully loaded TR8 sells for around 200-250€ tops here in Germany. I’ve seen them go for as low as 180€. I doubt this one will be a classic, Roland’s design choices on this one don’t really line it up for that. In any case, I wouldn’t let that sort of speculation affect my purchasing decision unless that’s the sole purpose of the purchase.

I find the hats are the weakest part of the rytm, but you can always supplement with samples.

I listened to a guy doing a trance song on a rytm and thought that hats stood out the most

I’m leaning towards the 6s right now might get one used for 325 shipped form a random online music shop.

2 Likes

What I should do is list some more gear for sale. I definitely have a pedal or 2 , a few euro modules.
I already have my Moog Voyager and a RG J-Craft Ibanez up on FB Marketplace.