Tr-8 or Rytm?

Hi everyone!

So struggling on my drums right now.

I own a Octatrack mk1 and Analog4 mk1, just re got them after a few year hiatus from hardware.
I had a Tr8 in 2015, however, I have the ability to pick up a tr-8 with sound packs mint in box for 350+ shipping or picking up a Rytm mk1 for 750$ in person for a 2 hour drive.

I want to make ambient/progressive/house/trance style tracks away from my PC.
Roland makes such solid gear, i like the scatter the Digital Modeling is sweet, the BPM control is nice as a mater BPM sync. The audio in for side chaining brings so many cool layers possibilities

As this is elektronauts we know about the Rytm, im just worried about tunning…

Help me make a choice!

TR-8 or TR-8S?

1 Like

Just the straight older Tr-8

I appreciated your name HoldMyBeer xD

1 Like

If you want Roland sounds, I’d get the Tr8, especially since it has the expansion.

The Rtym is one of those things where you learn to make kicks with it over time and experience. But when you start its probably faster to use samples in it.

By tuning,. I am guessing you mean designing good drum sounds? It can be done but it will take some time and work, where the Tr8 is half as much and will you get familiar results out of the box.

1 Like

All solid points, terms of tuning i mean that the bass stuff on the thing can wander but i get both sides of the coin on that issue. I might be lingering on it.

I would get the TR, and experiment with drums on the A4 as well.

3 Likes

I have them both, and I love them both, but they are two very different machines. The TR-8 is classic Roland packed into a really fun box to jam on, and there is more you can do with the assignable outs. The downside is lack of presets, and keeping anything. But if you are a “record and burn” type of person, then no problem. I have done albums with the TR-8 as the main drums, and It worked out great. Love it.

The Rytm on the other hand is much more deep. So much is savable. From the kits to the projects. Then you have things like perfs and scenes that can take what you are doing to another level with the assignable jammability. There is also the 8 physical outs, and all of the analog desirables that come with it, from the voices, to the compressor. And you can also layer samples with analog drum sounds.

They both can send individual tracks over USB, so that part is a tie to me.

I really think it will come down to your workflow, and what you are trying to do. And are you just looking for classic Roland sound, or something more with Rytm due to being able to just playing samples, just playing analog drums, or layering the two

4 Likes

…even as a o go roland guy, i must admit in this combo/condition case…pick the roland…

with the a4, u got all the beauty of analog percussive sounds…u got the swedish sequencing and u got sampling beyond…the tr8 will fill the gap…the rytm might be too much of the same thing…

but…aaargh…on the other hand…mk1 rytm?..that makes a black trinity…
sorry…i’m no big help here… :wink:

2 Likes

oh your fine your just voicing my inner thoughts xD

Its such a hard decision, i should be like the A4 and Octa are fine and just use my braids and Moog
Voyager for any 2 drum sounds i need

Anyone seen the Uno drum from ikmultimedia? its like 250 and has the mini midi in and outs

So you’re just looking at drum machines in general then? Maybe look at features and specs and see how any one of these would fit into your workflow?

Since you have a Octatrack you should be fine with a TR-8 you could easily sequence it with the OT. Then sample it if you want to explore more with the sound.

I dealing, I want to use the Octatracks first 4 channels to trigger drum sounds, but the lack of Tr8 patterns and saving is something i completely forgot about hence this thread.

Now sequencing the TR8 is not a bad idea for more complex drums if i need it. Tho its nice to be like load this song on all 3 devices. but black trinity setup.

Ive been having issues finding information about midi controlling drum machines with the Octa,

Been eyeing the Alesis Strim Multipad with all the midi and sounds in it plus it can do full on looping for drum practice. I think I can midi sequence it but cant find a yes or no to midi triggering it.

On the Octatrack midi section you’ll have to select the corresponding midi channel then push in the encoder. Drum machines are usually on midi channel 10 but it could be on channel 1. Then you’ll have to put the Octatrack in chromatic mode by pressing function then the up arrow key. A menu will appear and you can select chromatic to turn the OT triggers into a keyboard to play your drum kit.

You can live record your drum performance.

Rytm.

Octatrack Midi Out -> Analog Rytm Midi In & Analog Four Midi In
Analog Rytm Out -> Octatrack In A/B -> Track 01 Thru Machine A+B
Analog Four Out -> Octatrack In C/D -> Track 02 Thru Machine C+D

Live set worthy rig just there.

4 Likes

I don’t know your setup or workflow, but, do you really want to use half of the OT to trigger drum samples? Something like the Tr-8, which has over twice that many tracks, it seems like it would be a waste on both ends. And a pain to program.

You only need one midi channel to sequence the whole Tr-8 kit. Right?

That i could not tell you. But yeah I think you are right because each drum is a CC keyboard note so yeah! And I know how to set the octatrack up im the guy who first gets gear pushes every button at least 1 to 2 times plus functions and double taps, found function up arrow pretty quick