Tr-8 or Rytm?

Sure, but that doesn’t make it enjoyable, or easy to edit. Doing it that way takes away all that is fun about the TR-8, or any other drum machine.

im prolly gonna go with the tr-8 because based on the classic prices in 10 years it could be sought after for that accurate digital analog modeling and mine would have the packs u cant buy any more

1 Like

your right but i guess that would be a more hardcore sequenced track that would need that unless I just jam drum it always!

1 Like

Well if you are looking at accuracy and future monies an whatnot, then what about the TR-8S? I don’t use that one, but, I understand they dialed in the digital accuracies even more on that one. And It can save patterns.

Not all the time but for micro timing and probably stuff, why not? You could still rock the faders on the TR-8 itself.

Yes of course, it is definitely possible. I have tried setups like this, but for me anyway, it was much too convoluted. Too much programming, and not enough jamming, and having fun in the moment. We all have ways that we work, and that could certainly work for others, but it didn’t quite do it for me.

2 Likes

Yea I go in chromatic mode and live record my drums. Super simple yet if I need to micro edit it’s available. I tend to do everything from one sequencer at a time if I can get away with it. Of course I live tweak everything for movement.

Right on, the OP should give it a swing, to see if it is their bag.

1 Like

I’ve owned both the Tr-8 and the Tr8-S and I couldn’t imagine spending money on a TR-8 after having the 8S… no way. Even with the sound packs added it’s not worth the price.
People sell the TR8-S.
I’d wait for a used one to pop up before I’d buy a used TR8.
No disrespect to either, but the 8-S is just miles and miles ahead of it’s predecessor

Is there a sound quality difference?

1 Like

I definitely agree with this. The TR-8S adds a whole other complex layer. It takes what was fun, and extremely jammable, and adds more options in a menu navigation situation. And if the OP is considering the TR-8S, then I would recommend the RYTM. Which, as they stated, they are between the RYTM or the TR-8.

1 Like

TR-8 was my first drum machine. I thought it was okay. Lack of flexibility bothered me. Then I got into Elektron sequencing with the MD and realized it was what I wanted all along.

I just don’t think I want a sequencer that isn’t an Elektron sequencer again. Yeah, you can send OT MIDI to the TR-8 and (maybe?) p-lock stuff that way. But the TR-8 still doesn’t have LFOs, or the ability to save all sorts of kits and settings like scenes and performance, it doesn’t have aftertouch, velocity sensitive pads which really make finger drumming come to life, it doesn’t have a filter per track…Of course, the TR-8 is significantly cheaper so if budget is the concern I get that. Even then, the TR-8 is just so limited you’re better getting off a sampler that plays 808 and 909 sounds imo…and I guess the 707 sounds and whatever else you’re getting from your packs.

That was probably my biggest issue–it was too limited. I’m a big proponent of limitations breed creativity, but sometimes I really don’t want the snare, hat or kick it has to offer. I had hoped that only having a limited pallette to choose from would make it easier for me, but it made me more disappointed. And this was all before I even knew the Elektron sequencer existed, mind you.

Also dude if you get the Rytm you’ll have the dark trinity like what? Bruh it’s not even a question. I’m considering getting an A4 just to finish out the trilogy and I’m not even convinced I would actually use it all that much rofl

1 Like

Mmm, I don’t think so…
same great Roland sounds, deep, thumping low end and crisp, glassy highs…
But, the 8-S made the Tr-8 pretty obsolete
As an owner of both I wouldn’t spend more than $200 for an absolute mint condition TR-8.
It’s stupid to me that Roland continued/s to charge the prices that they do for the additional sound packs, what with the 8-S having all of them and more .
The 8-S is just a better sounding, higher performing machine. If the OP wants to go the Roland route, I couldn’t recommend the TR-8, but would highly recommend the TR8-S.
But that Elektron sequencer though…,

You can do a lot with the TR-8. Due to the fader the handling is very intuitive! Have mine for 3-4 years and I’m learning new things every now and then. Side chain ability and Feedback from the tape delay is pretty neat

1 Like

I’d take the TR8S over the TR8, just a much more fleshed out machine.

If you want a drum machine and don’t already own an Elektron, I’d go Rytm. If you already own an Elektron I’d probably go TR8S. The more immediate workflow imo contrasts nicely with the more cerebral nature of the elektron boxes.

Pick up a TR8 sh for low money at the moment. Great machine for jamming and live work. I got a TR-8S to go with my A4 and find the combo really satisfying…blend of the sponeneity of the Roland with the versitility and depth of the A4 works really well.

funny enough the guy has a tr-8 and a 8s 8s in 550 vs the 350

1 Like

thanks for everyone with the posts so far, such a struggle lol

1 Like

It’s worth the extra money. The S is just a way, way more flexible machine. It’s has all the sounds that would be on the loaded 8 too, plus way more.

true but liquid cash is like 350 right now cause i sold some computer parts, so their is budgeting myself. I might just say screw it on the rytm