Toraiz Squid multitrack sequencer

Nice :+1:

1 Like

Really enjoyed that - nice work.

Well, your song sent me off down a rabbit hole of Squid videos, eventually convincing me to get one, which turned up this afternoon!

A couple of hours in and I absolutely love it - finally a sequencer I feel I can perform with. Only hooked it up to my old Little Phatty and the modular so far and I’m having a ball. So many unexpected melodies tumbling out of this thing.

Having read up on the limitations, they don’t worry me. It already does a whole lot more than any other sequencer I’ve owned and it definitely clicks with the way I do melodic sequencing. Probably still prefer the Rytm sequencer and conditional trigs for drums though.

And, at last, something that outputs a really tight clock! No more grumbles about it being “unstable” from Pam’s New Workout. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, it really is a special sequencer. I’m really looking forward to running some Eurorack with it, too! Glad I could help.

You’ve all got me going down the rabbit hole on all things Squid. Which in all likelihood if I’m this far along means I’ll get one soon to try out. I’d really be looking at it primarily as a midi frontend to Bitwig rather than an entirely standalone solution. Of course, I’d be using it with some hardware synths too.

I’ve never really been into dedicated hardware sequencers (outside of ones built into Elektron, SP-16, etc). I always preferred to use a DAW, but now I’m starting to see the light and wanting to try something new. Sometimes it takes me a year or twenty to come around to a different workflow. :laughing:

I ordered a Cirklon earlier this year, but that’s going to be a couple years out at best, so I figure the Squid is a good gateway into an external sequencer and middle ground while still using the DAW and ability to do some amount of standalone duties (understanding the limitations) . If I don’t like the external workflow at all, then that’s probably an indicator that I’m not going to like the Cirklon either, but I completely realize they’re very different animals even though both ‘sequencers’.

3 Likes

So… I did a thing. :grimacing: Should be here tomorrow (seller is in the same general area as me).

Found a seller on Reverb who’s supposedly offering brand new Squid’s for $449 (plus tax) and free shipping. I had a thread with them where they insist the unit will be “Brand new, unused/sealed and not refurbished or used”. It’s a little suspect, because the title says ‘Used’, but the the condition is listed as ‘New’. The seller insists it’s a ‘promotion’ and that I’m getting a new unit. Either way, it’s Reverb and I paid with PayPal, so if there’s any issue it’s going right back to them and I have a couple layers of recourse if needed (screenshots documented). The price seems solid, so I’m hoping it works out (even with tax $120 less than most places and same price or less than most 2nd hand units).

Edit: It’s a refurb unit. Seller straight up lied. Should have known better… let’s see what happens from here.

2 Likes

Anyone know what’s been updated in Feb 2021?
I see a update on the support page, but can’t find it in the update history listing.
Thanks!

I only skimmed the info briefly, but it seems to be purely mac-specific.

I’ve just bought one of these bad boys - got a decent deal. Just waiting for it to land.

very pattern based stuff, with plenty of hands on live control & something that will throw up new & interesting sequences with lots of variation is exactly what I wanted from a new sequencer - the Squid seemed the perfect choice for me outside of eurorack or using M4L sequencers, neither of which I want to do.

1 Like

Hello, anyone knows if setting “count” and “divide” at the same value above one I get a metropolis like repeated trig…? By logic I’d say yes but I’ve found no explicit mention. Considering adding it to my setup to have a complete no-daw workflow, and find DN sequencer limited. Im’also tempted by polyend tracker, I know it’s a different gear but looks interesting. Many thanks

Arrived some days ago, I confirm that count and divide work that way, maybe 4 is relatively short number, however OK. Sequencing workflow and and pattern variations possibilities are fantastic

2 Likes

I’m loving my Squid so far. You can do timing / tempo madness that I’ve only ever managed in modular before. And the interaction between sequncer & arpeggiator is fantastic

4 Likes

The fact that everything you do on the unit can be captured by the timewarp is crazy, just go wild on it, click timewarp and save the best parts as new patterns. Sometimes it’s almost too easy to come up with interesting patterns.

1 Like

Got another one of these again to sequence the pads on my Blackbox and some Matriarch and my new Radikal Tech Delta Cap A…which is fantastic.

Hello Squid community, I recently got it and I found it fantastic. Everything works except the squid manager. I’m unable to save my projects on PC. Only the demo project works. My project name is grey and I can’t select it. I’m on version 1.0.1 (last one) on Windows. Any idea?

1 Like

yeah - didn’t work for me on Windows either. Weird innit ?

I didn’t even bother trying on my Mac as I’m running ancient OS, with no plans to update as everything works beautifully & I have no plans for anything new !

HI guys! Is it possible to hold one step on Squid and use an external keyboard to insert a certain note on that step?
Thanks a lot!

Yes. The feature was added in update version 1.10:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

On the way to me v soon!! :slight_smile:

1 Like