Toraiz Squid multitrack sequencer

I have been comparing the Squid with the Pyramid on youtube, in the end decided to go for the Squid because of the immediacy (no menu’s), having a pattern within no time with some random notes and euclidean rhythms. An ideal jam tool for live techno.

Besides that, knowing the Squid, why learn yet another sequencer interface, that was the whole point of having one central unit ruling them all. Besides that squid cannot rule them all at the same time :smiley:

1 Like

Just bumping into this video. The last part summarizes it perfectly: “we can jam for hours, without feeling any pressure”.

Has anyone managed to sequence the td3 with the squid? I can’t seem to pull it off.

That’s why another sequencer is usefull. While the Squid is immediat for playing live, if one of it’s OUTs goes into Pyramid, this last one will record the Squid and restitute it to a bunch of synths like a good old looper (plis it’s own abilities). But, I stop here. You know, i’m a bit obsessed by sequencers :shushing_face:

1 Like

Yes I saw it before buying Squid :slight_smile:

Maybe 5 cc is not enough, but if you use Squid improvisation qualities with them, it is powerfull…
Few days ago, After reading this from @PeterHanes : You might find something useful in previous topics:

Performances and Scenes: which parameters do you use? Analog Rytm

I played with Squid and AR. It was really instant reward in terms of creating variation of AR patterns, cc acting on Scenes and Perf.
Very nice moments.

1 Like

the squid has to be the one of the best midi sequencers available…
I have a midi keyboard plugged into it and each of the 16 tracks going into ableton…
time warp is like Abletons capture but on steroids…
heaps of levels of undo, so many features and logical layout makes it easy to use.
using it today makes me think I will never sell it.
the things people complain about it have never been a problem for me…
But I think Using it with a proper midi keyboard with it is pretty essential though…
Perfect companion for elektron gear Also!

4 Likes

I like it so much I bought 2 of them :joy:

4 Likes

Yep if not using a computer 2 makes total sense. Being able to load up a new project while the other one is playing negates the most major of its shortcomings. I am considering doing the same if I see one decently priced second hand.

Quite a few cool and original abilities it has and once everything gets onto muscle memory its quite the instrument. Also got a list of “wish it dids” but what gear doesn’t.

2 Likes

I think so ! Even if I complain about few unappropriate behaviour :stuck_out_tongue:
More seriously, I find it really creative and so direct.
@Monothomm and @Ozone Having a 2nd one… not sure, except if I find a good 2nd hand price. But I really understand your point of view

3 Likes

I’ve been playing around with the squid for a few days now, really like it how hands-on and performative it is… need to work on my muscle memory still but it’s no menu diving and alot of goofing around! All in all a fun box :slight_smile: Just a quick question which I cannot find anywhere: is it possible to nudge complete sequences (so in the trigger page) to the left or right? I tend to use this alot while jamming. Does anybody know this?

Edit:

Alright, I went through the manual again and found it under the step shift function: most bottom right button (called divide) paired with the shift button = moving steps within the sequence to the left or right.

4 Likes

Reviving this thread because I’m interested. But curious. What’s the benefit of the squid over say, Ableton Live and M4L sequencers?

Other than not being tethered to a computer

3 Likes

It’s pretty much a hardware version of a good max 4 live sequencer it’s just hands on live tweaking., same thing can be achieved with a max 4 live plugin but much more fun to use squid

2 Likes

I was in the market for a sequencer to noodle with during the Black Friday sale and I picked up a pyramid instead. Yes it’s an M4L sequencer in a box.

The biggest benefit I have seen is patch design for a poly synth. Let it play the chords and scales you’ve made in a loop then tweak the patch. It’s another set of hands really. Before this I had one hand playing a scale or chord then the other turning a knob. Now that I have the pyramid I have a loop of playing and two hands available for knob / slider tweaking.

Could I have done this in M4L? Yes, however I like the tactile touch of these sequencer boxes. There’s a lot of no looking moves my hand does whereas I would need to look at the screen when in live.

3 Likes

Thanks @v00d00ppl and @DanJamesAUS!

I might actually pick one up. I randomly got a sizable Amazon gift certificate for Christmas. I’d had my eye on the Squid but could t justify the cost. For the pure joy of doing random stuff, it definitely looks fun!

3 Likes

Please tell me this is not true…

You can’t mute tracks while also using the CC knobs to control parameters of external gear?

I had this whole plan to jam (muting/unmuting) my hardware while twisting and turning knobs

Noooooo…:pleading_face:

If you are in track mode where you select tracks you can only adjust cc of selected track

But you should be able to enter mute mode by holding mute,
mute the track you want and then release mute and it will jump back to track mode…

So you should be able to achieve something similar with the quick commands…

1 Like

Got mine today in the Amazon mail.

I’m understanding why this thing is so dope! I love techno and this is kind of a techno machine.

Serious idea/hook generator. Cool drum grooves too.

I’m glad I put some thought and research into it.

6 Likes

I made a couple of jam sessions with it. Thought I’d post this one. Not the most exciting thing but it’s the kind of vibe my Squid is putting out right now. I really like this thing. Learning as I go :nerd_face:

6 Likes

I was wondering… did squid get much in terms of firmware updates / bug fixes etc.

The sp16 needed a few things so I wondered if pioneer has supported this post release ?

Maybe it had no issues and didn’t need it ?