Toraiz Squid multitrack sequencer

Sorry I don’t have one, or I would have apply a scientific protocole :nerd_face:

I will check all other modulations as soon as I have time to : swing, Speed and Groove control, and rythmic control. But it won’t be more precise than that I did since begening. So what is the value of my affirmations if not confronted to pertinent procedure with adapted gear ?

Thanks @elenacortes good to know. I might try a test sending Octatrack midi to Pyramid to see if the issues you describe occur when multitracking into Pyramid, it will be interesting to see if the issue is Pyramid side or not.

1 Like

This combo is a lot of fun entering notes from push into the squid then tweaking and rearranging them with the sequencer…

3 Likes

The time warp records from 1 to 4 bars.
it records the poly rhythms it just restarts on the bar.
in the new pattern just deactivate the steps needed to make it a polyrhythm again

1 Like

How yes. Did not though to copy in pattern then desactivate steps. Thanks for the input.
Will have a try toonight.

Edit : Ok, I had a look at it. Your right for the procedure. I should have figure it sooner :grimacing:
It works, but i can’t help thinking this kind of procedure is a work around. It denotes with the Squid UI immediacy.
No gear is perfect. I just try to delimitate the Squid on what it can and what it cannot. This is just to know how I must use it to have the maximum benefice of it.
For the moment Squid retain all my attention to decide if I keep it or not. And for the moment I keep it, cause it’s advantages are largely beyond defaults :smiley:

2 Likes

When setting pad scales can all 16 be in the scale or is it still the case that some of the keys are duplicated? i.e can a scale have a different note within the scale on each pad?

there are still doubles of some notes, 16 pads only just over 1 octave of notes From the scale…
not ideal, but I’m entering notes from push anyhow so doesn’t bother me about this

1 Like

I briefly checked multitrack recording from OT into Pyramid and everything seemed fine, velocity and note length seemed 1:1 though I didn’t use any microtiming, just basic on grid stuff.

Looking into Squid there seems to be a few too many things lacking to tempt me right now, the lack of note filter for drums, scale pad implementation, lack of cc/port/midi instrument definitions, being the main gripes.
The dual CV sequencing with the note slide seems to be the main advantage it has over Pyramid for me, and some of the editing on Squid looks slightly more direct but not enough to justify adding a Squid to my setup, as of yet. I definitely don’t see it as a replacement for Pyramid as I really like the Squarp, but I will keep my eye on Squid to see if future updates address the issues, as I think it might be a nice companion to Pyramid for composing.

So, I spent some time getting to grips with the Pyramid. Routing through an iConnectivity iMidi 4+ and various synths, grooveboxes, modules and the Squid took a bit of head scratching, mostly to avoid loops and manage local on/off / master keyboard scenarios, but I got there (for the moment!)

I recorded some parts into the Squid, to take advantage of the fun directional control and groove control on offer, then played those resulting recorded sequences into the Pyramid. Result = identical recording - groove, notes, note lengths, velocities - all of it!

I wasn’t expecting this, having read Elena’s detailed notes and I’m not sure what I was doing differently. @elenacortes - I used Midi DIN for this and not USB. I find the USB unreliable on the Squid, I can’t record notes in using USB nor send them out, though it does receive clock and start/stop messages over USB, weird. Maybe it’s user error, but I just use DIN all the time with the Squid (though I do have it getting its clock over USB).

Anyway, this is going to be a lot of fun, a great combination. It always surprises me how much the groove and vibe can change when you change the direction of the sequence, particularly the way the Squid has implemented this.

1 Like

I had the same problem with USB but figured it out recently…
I had record channel set to ‘receive all midi’ which you would think it receives everything
but it had to be set to ‘receive all USB’… it should work

1 Like

Dan!!!

You have just solved a long time mystery for me, thank you!

I never scrolled past the midi channels in that menu.

Pioneer support also never mentioned this to me when I logged it as a bug.

Now, to think about potential re-routing / re-cabling - arrrghhh (but a good arrrghhh!)

Cheers!

1 Like

Happy to read that !
I used midi din too. I will have another try with my Pyramid. Maybe my problem comes from it… ? I will change the midi cable too. Will take shorter one. For the remain of procedure nothing to be change, cause midi connexion is very simple.

@darenager I understand. If I had to choose between Pyramid or Squid, I would really be embarrassed. Deepness of Pyramid or simplicity of Squid. Complicated. I obtain really good results and satisfaction from the two.

1 Like

I made other tests : Squid, AR, OT. I obtain erratic results. Some times it’s ok, but often it’s not. The main problem is that Pyramid records iregular offsets of notes. But not always.
Is someone have an idea ?
I change sequencer 3 times.
I change cable (short)
How can Pyramid have such problem ? Seems not to happen with your Pyramid ? Is that my unit ?

I’ll look at it again tomorrow. I kept it to 1 bar and 4 bar loops in my tests. I made sure all midi effects were off. The pyramid was master. USB clock to the Squid. Midi DIN back to pyramid. I kept my phrases quite simple, I didn’t hit it with loads of notes.

1 Like

Unlikely, it is almost certainly a midi limitation, like @Sofine I only tested a 1 bar, 8 track Octatrack pattern into my Pyramid, a fairly simple pattern with not too many events, no CCs, OT as master.

In your case try to send a few tracks at a time to see if you can get better results, remember midi is a serial protocol so it can only send 1 event at a time, even though we might hear say notes of a chord happen simultaneously they are really only sent 1 at a time.

1 Like

Love this thing, I like using most of the tracks for one synth resulting in crazy melodies.

As everyone points out it really is an idea machine. Don’t expect it to be the main hub of your setup that will solve all your problems.

I like to use it and record the midi data in Ableton. Piano rollitis cured :+1:

4 Likes

That !
I would add that my last jam were made only with Squid, synths and AR. Never been so efficient to build one hour jam i’ve had a lot of pleasure with.
So it can be the only sequencer of your set if you don’t need extra deep editing function for your sound.

3 Likes

Cool trick I was doing tonight was sending multiple channels to 1 channel using different length and run directions on each track and mapping them to synth ccs…
so basically poly metre and polyrhythm parameter locks!

4 Likes

That is a very cool idea!! I was confused at first cause I didn’t realize by channels you meant “Tracks” to use the Squid’s terminology. So, multiple Squid “Tracks” were all transmitting on the same channel…but filled with different data and running on different pattern lengths. Awesome idea!

2 Likes

SWING VALUES
Elektron vs Squid

Elektron’s straight beat is called 50%
Squid’s is called 0%

I started to work on a lookup table so that if you’re using both machines at the same time, you can make sure that your swing values are the same.

My head started to hurt doing this math (I’m an art guy, not a math guy) so I gave up but…
Coincidentally, 62% in Elektron swing is also 62% in Squid swing and that’s the only place where they intersect.

So for now, my songs that use both devices either have no swing…or 62%…like this one…

9 Likes