Toraiz is calling

I actually bought an Electribe 2 Sampler right before the Toraiz. I was really into it too; I liked it a lot. It had one flaw though that made it totally unusable for me; samples automatically stop playing when patterns change (ending abruptly if the sample length goes past the max bar length of 4). I was so upset about this. Their customer support said they had no plans to address this issue. Useless.

Also, all types of bad sounding clicks and glitchiness when using insert effects and changing patterns on the Korg ES2

Yes, there was a workaround for that. Something along the lines of putting the release of the sample on a pad in the next pattern. But that is not cool, agreed.

Still have my electribe grey box (dont need the sampler bc OT) and will keep it.

These Korg Electribe 2ā€™s werenā€™t designed with the concept of a song utilizing more than one pattern. What the hell Korg??

Depends on your philosophy of samples and where in the eq your hearts at. I am a big fan of samples, and I like glitchier things so in that same situation Iā€™d go with the OT no questions asked.

AR is a low end beast, and you can make really thick sounding percussion on it. It would be difficult to replace. However, itā€™s sample handling(by design, no doubt) is merely just spice than substance. The AR provides a fantastic function, and I appreciate it functionally but I, personally, canā€™t fall in love with it at the time being. It feels limited in its capabilities compared to the OT.

It depends on your philosophy of sound/music, so I can see why youā€™d love it. I merely just appreciate it(except for the trig conditions which equates to magic for a percussive instrument)

OK, not much else to say on the matter then. Hope to read a proper review from you once youā€™re over the honeymoon period. I wonder if the touchscreen will continue to be responsive in a sweaty gig situation.

Found my first bug. Sample ā€œSave & Replaceā€ function is not working. Have to save changes made to samples as new sample with new sample name every time. Other than that, sampling is a breeze.

Holy cow, I got a response from someone at Pioneer a minute after posting

4 Likes

Iā€™ve read in the Pioneer FAQ that the Toraiz doesnā€™t render audio. You have to use the analog outs to record it. I wonder if ā€œit doesnā€™t render audioā€ also means that it doesnā€™t resample? Can you use the analog filters to process a sample? Do you have to patch the output back to the input for that?

Pretty sure if resamples but yeah I think for post filter you need to use a cable.

No sample layering?
That is the most important feature to me in my MPC 1000! The ability to layer and velocity switch drum sounds on each pads.

1 Like

yikes no multi touch on the screen? the limited sample playback probably because pioneer wants you to buy a CDJ for longer loops

sounds like regular pioneer shenanigans releasing small updated versions of their hardware every couple of years. no interest in supporting them

1 Like

Yep. Big bad Pioneer is full of shenanigans. Donā€™t let their evil bright screen and flashy buttons corrupt you lol

1 Like

How insulting of Pioneer to create such a thing. I feel personally insulted lol

Iā€™m trying to understand peopleā€™s thought processes

1 Like

All this talk about multitouch. Why do you want multitouch? What the hell are you going to do with it? What isnā€™t efficient enough on the Toraiz that could use multitouch to improve it?

Why would you even offer an opinion without knowing these things?

I donā€™t know why youā€™d use equipment by those evil bastards, when you could be using Elektron gear which, as everyone knows, is assembled and manufactured by angels appointed by God to end death and sorrow

4 Likes

Elektron is made by Norsemen, Thor and his hammer.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a quote from a recent post over on the Gearslutz thread by a user who owns both the Toraiz and the OT; it reinforces what I said about the sound difference between the two.

ā€œIt sounds amazing, the D to A converters are very good to my ears. I put the same sample in Toraiz (HD!) and Octatrack (SD!)and the quality difference is big.ā€

2 Likes

I will be sticking with my substandard sound quality OT for the time being.

7 Likes