Took Digitone back to store

Yes I just meant that you can easily sample from a phone into the DT, and given that there are hundreds of cheap or free synths, drum machines and other music apps for iOS this is a rich source of sounds to sample.

2 Likes

I would not buy a synth with a built-in step sequencer just for sampling either. You can even sample directly from your laptop.

Have you tried DT+DN with the DT as a master into the DN (setup explained here)? You can give your projects the same names between machines and you can go crazy on it :smiley:

1 Like

I’m currently on the fence about the DO and considering returning it despite how much I love the sound. My reasons are:

1. No midi out arp
  2. Clock sync is tied to transport so you can’t have it sync to something else without also making it start playback.
  3. Although it’s 8 voices, when you play the same note sequentially it cuts off the first note instead of using another voice. This makes playing pads/chords difficult when you have 2 chords with one same note back to back.
  4. Only 2 lfos with one destination each, no assignable envelopes.
  5. No p-locking the arp or FX.
  6. No bipolar keytracking for the filter and no resonance for the base-width filter
  7. No parameter slides
  8. No per track speeds like on the OT/A4/AR
  9. No LFO for the FX
  10. No song mode (or at least saving of chains)
  11. No option for kits to easily move across patterns
  12. They give us the option to insert notes with the up and down arrows, which is great, so why not also let us program chords that way like the Monomachine? Having to constantly use that Add Notes button is a pain in the ass.
  13. No RANDOM or S&H arp
  14. Inputs sum to mono before hitting FX

I feel like all of these are just firmware things. All of these things are in the bigger boxes (either on at least one or on all of them), so it’s not like Elektron isn’t aware of or able to actually do them, it’s just that they’ve chosen not to do so.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the synthesis is top notch. I’ve already made 18 cool presets in one day, but there are a lot of things on this list that seem so counter intuitive to a fun and creative workflow that I don’t know if it’s worth keeping just for the sound alone. If I wanted just an FM synth, I’d use FM8 or try the PreenFM2, but I wanted a piece of hardware that would be fun to use and sketch out ideas, along with sound design. So far, only the latter is truly enjoyable at the moment.

1 Like

You’ve paid half the price for a DO than you would for a box with all the above features. It is what it is.

1 Like

@coda

You’ve paid half the price for a DO than you would for a box with all the above features. It is what it is.

I can’t argue with your opinion as it is valid, but I thought these boxes were supposed to be unending fun and intuitive. But some of those issues aren’t about the cost of the unit. If I can’t even play the same note one after another without it clicking, then how is that useful?

1 Like

Dang…that’s some serious shortcomings. Several I knew of already but the Voice stealing when playing same note is pretty rough.
Also, no parameter slides? really? I knew there was no glide/portamento but that’s a surprise too.

Hopefully when OB finally get’s done they will address some if not all of these. I’m very keen on getting a Digitone in the future but I’ll be waiting for at least 4 of those issues to be resolved.

1 Like

Over bridge is all well and good, but I didn’t buy a piece of Hardware to have to be Tethered to my computer just for some features.

I meant when they get OB out they will hopefully put there attention back to the hardware. I don’t really care about OB as I have mk1 boxes and the latency is too high to be useable. Plus, I bought them to get away from the computer so I agree with you.

3 Likes

I’m hoping that the next update will solve most of the current bugs / issues and add some much requested features. Last update was released in mid July I believe. We should be due here soon.

2 Likes

Sure would be nice for another beefy update for the DN, as I’m inching closer to copping one. I do need a Push 2, but might put off for some nasty DN goodness with my DT.

Me, too, but I only have 3 weeks to decide if I’m keeping it. Let’s see if we get an update before then.

1 Like

That’s why I always read the manual before getting something, I don’t expect new features to be added and don’t expect that promised features will be added on time (e.g. Overbridge), it prevents a lot of frustration in the future. I also check the forums to find known bugs, but in the case of the Digitone I risked it and got it close to the release date at the expense of knowing there may be annoying bugs.

EDIT: Point 3 seems super-annoying and non-easily findable by just reading the manual BTW.

1 Like

I did read the manual a bunch and check out tons of videos and forum postings. Just didn’t prepare me for the actual experience of having the device.

Sometimes getting the device is the only way to find out if it will annoy you, that’s true. My comment was more about expecting the devices to do things they can’t do right now.

In my case I thought I would like the Analog 4 but I found it too complex for me after some time using it, so I exchanged it for a Dominion 1.

1 Like

i’m still very much loving the Digitone! clicks haven’t bother me. it’s usually buried in the percussion anyway from my end, so I haven’t even noticed. …definitely annoying though if you’re just trying to make ambient stuff. then it’d be real obvious

every new sound pack that comes out i’m just, like, daaaaaamn, how’d they do that? it’s been a fascinating deconstruction process as I try to emulate.

also, running that clean digital sound into something gritty like the AH or AD has been a real treat. Digitone to tape back to computer makes for some intriguing sounds as well.

3 Likes

I personally have not encountered any problem with clicks, no problem doing ambient stuff. Playing with the release might get rid of those.

5 Likes

^ Same.

3 Likes

The issue is when playing two of the same note. So let’s say I want a pad that’s just C going through my whole thing. When the pattern resets, it resets the envelope because that’s the behavior of the synth, no matter if you turn off the envelope retriggering.

Have you tried to set a trig condition on the sustained C note, so it just get triggered once and doesn’t get retriggered when the pattern loops?

Of course that doesn’t solve the problem with chords, but just for a single “endless” sustained note it should work.

1 Like

me neither. Only when I exceed the 8 voices I hear the voice stealing obviously

1 Like