Took Digitone back to store

Wasn’t feeling the Digitone at all. Got too excited after getting the digitakt and thought they would be a good pair. I just felt I would never use it so had to move on. And move on quick so I could return it to guitar center. Anyone else not feeling the Digitone? My background is more hip hop tunes I sample a lot but l try to flip the samples till you can’t hear the source material anymore.

1 Like

I believe you have to embrace FM tones before you realize how powerful the Digitone is.

12 Likes

Probably so. Maybe one day I’ll try again.

I got mine a couple of days ago. It sounds absolutely incredible but I just don’t have the synth programming skills to get the most out of it and I think I will find it easier and faster using samples. It’s absolutely a case of “it’s not you, it’s me” because it’s clearly incredibly powerful but FM is probably just too much for my primitive brain! Im going to send it back and get a Digitakt. I’ve got GBs of samples already and I figure it’ll be easy to expand If I want to get more hardware synths and sequence from Digitakt as well.

The other thing that occurred to me is that it would be very easy to use the huge range of cheap and great sounding iPhone music apps as a source of sounds to sample. I’ve got loads already.

2 Likes

If you’re more into sampling of acoustic material, old soul or jazz records etc. the digitone might just not be for you. It’s fm, so very digital, electronic sounding.

How long have you been making music? Also what was the reason you bought it?

I’ve been messing around with music software For 25 years (I wouldn’t call it making music) but I’m sick of using the computer as I also code for a living. I spent a couple of months looking at options and narrowed it down to Digitone or Digitakt. I watched some great videos and I thought I might enjoy programming my own sounds but in reflection I think I’d enjoy the immediacy if samples more. I used to use trackers in the 90s and it’s a very similar workflow so I think it’ll work better for me

1 Like

I’m into iPhone sound generators any you wouldn’t mind sharing?

I been making music for like 8 years solid. I’m a Mpc Head. So a lot of samples and I have a few synths too. Besides hardware I’m really into ableton also. I bought Digitone to be a sound source and to try fm synthesis, but was lost. I could twist presets but my money funny I saw that box sitting as I only use the takt or MPC Live.

I’ve had both and the DT is 80% of what I need. Digitone is a great synth but not so essential. In my dumb opinion I think hardware synths are over-valued.

1 Like

Given that I can do some rudimentary synthesis with single-cycle waves and one shots of basses, leads and whatever else I can find, I reckon I can go a long way with sampling alone. The community seems to broadly suggest that the DT hits a sweet spot between functionality and ease-of-use and the DT-only output I’ve heard around here is very impressive and covers a range of genres.

1 Like

Interesting thread. I got a DT last year and it blew my mind for all the reasons that have been listed. This year, though, I sold some gear and got an itch when a DN popped up here for a good price. Ever since I got the Digitone, I’ve been using that almost exclusively. There was a short stint where I paired it with the DT (which is great, by the way), but I’ve been having so much fun dialing in patches, exploring the features, and soaking in the weird and the beautiful that is FM. It takes me longer than creating patterns on the DT, but the results are worth it for me. Running it through Analog Heat just sweetens everything up too. I’m not getting rid of the DT just yet, but if I had to pick just one, Digitone wins by a nose.

Ultimately, you have to decide whether some piece of gear works for you.

6 Likes

Great point of view

People who are more into Samples are always going to think “Why am i going to all this effort to get one sound when i can just take a sample from a synth and mangle it a bit”. Its easier and faster. The downside is you don’t feel so bonded to the piece you create.

7 Likes

I like my new Digitone so much.
I am into different styles of music and I like hip hop too, but dammit how am i supposed to make it groove with an arpegiattor that doesn’t swing?! :neutral_face:
Sounds to me that this box is not designed with hip-hop in mind!

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t feeling the DN either- I pretty much like FM as a means of making weird sounds.

I was expecting it to have the same bizarre potential as the FM machines on the MnM(you could create bizarre sounds very whimsically on that beast)

The machine seemed too musical for my liking- which, FM for music, I’m not too into

I have the DT and DN… I find myself going for the DN, even for drum sounds… Both are brilliant boxes with one major flaw… Saving chained patterns :frowning: I’ve learned my lesson… I’ll never purchase another groovebox without a song mode or saving chained patterns feature… It just defeats the whole point of a groovebox IMO… Why bother giving these boxes the ability to sequence other hardware? Blows my mind…lol

2 Likes

You mean like it can only sequence grooves and not songs? erhm like a groovebox? :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Lol! A four bar groove at that😂… Hilarious!