Took Digitone back to store

I’m liking it as a drum machine right now. It does need a few things like retrig etc. But it sounds really good. I’m finding sound quality a big factor when I listen back to recordings and jams.

2 Likes

I dunno, I think the filters sound nice enough it can be a nice subtractive synth as well. I think the sequencer is what makes the digitone powerful, same as the digitakt.

I can verify that sampling Korg Gadget and Audulus III is enough to sample any sound or type of synthesis you could reasonably want.

1 Like

You can make sick percs with FM.

3 Likes

I couldn’t give up my Digitone even if I hated the FM synthesis it produces because it is too valuable of a sequencer for my setup. Digitone + Quadra thru operate as the brain in my setup to sync my Machinedrum and also sequence my Access Virus C, Yamaha Reface CS, and Bass Station II. I run the output of the BS II into the Digitone so it can take advantage of fx. Sounds nice through that Reverb!

I will admit that FM synthesis takes more patience and finesse to come up with something I like, but it’s nice having a different pallete with a heavy digital edge. I also second the idea that the Digitone can be a fairly capable subtractive synth if you keep the settings more simple.

3 Likes

I didn’t understood what I was getting myself into when I bought the digitone. I hadn’t used Fm synthesis before. But for me its a machine that I have to learn over a long period of time to grasp everything. And when you do that, it’s a really powerful machine.

I just bought the clone of the classic subtractive synth fader the behringer model d and I find that synth to be so easy and straight forward to to work with when I compare it the digitone. I know its complete different type of synthesis but the neat thing with the digitone is that you for example can get the it to generate moog type bas sounds that are pretty close to the original but you need to construct the sound in a complete different way. And that’s the thing with FM, you need to think in new ways. I think it’s really powerful that you have complete control over the overtones in a sound and that is why FM synthesis is so versatile and powerful.

I love the master overdrive it sounds so nice and its really nice that you can use that and the reverb, delay and chorus and apply them to other synths that you plug in.

4 Likes

OP dont worry, this forum is for gear addicts that buy and sell gear all the time in the quest for the perfect setup - WE ALL KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE. :hugs:

9 Likes

If you’re thinking about getting an Elektron instrument, especially a synth, I believe it also helps the check out the sound-pack demos on the site, just to see if it’s possible for making the sounds you’re looking for, and if any of the styles of arrangement fit (or inspire) your intentions.

2 Likes

Most music gear that turned into HipHop production staples were not designed with HipHop in mind. The turntable, sp1200 and the first MPC’s to name a few.
I produce all kinds of music and you can absolutely make HipHop beats with the Digitone, just turn off quantize and play your beats live and capture your human swing.

9 Likes

Microtiming can also get those drunken grooves quite easily!

1 Like

Agree, i actually record a lot unquantized and then make use of the quantize strength feature (%), which I find great to correct my sloppy timing a bit, yet preserving the human feel.

I was over exagerating it just a bit :wink: that’s me! just frustrated because the arp, which is very powerful by the way, is almost unusable in that case!
Notes are not recorded, so you can’t further edit the timing or just add swing to them afterwards.

1 Like

I prefer getting drunk and hit record :beers:

1 Like

I’ve only had mine for a little over a week and I would love to see some things added to it as well, but overall it’s a super inspiring instrument, but I really dig FM synthesis…
I’m a modular synth cat at the end of the day.

haha I feel you on that… I’m on smoke cannabis and hit record.

I been watching your Digitone videos and I definitely wish I gave it more time. Peace I’m Tarikh Mizan a fellow producer out of Leimert Park… much respect og

2 Likes

I really like that character that DN has. When I bought it first, my idea was to have a next step after Volca FM, but tbh, it turned out to be a quite different instrument (luckily I sampled my favourite sounds from Volca before selling it). It requires you to get used to it and to understand the philosophy behind it. It’s different, it’s unique, and it obviously means that not everyone’s gonna like it. So as a guy who wanted VolcaFM++ but got smth different instead, I totally understand those people whose expectations were not met by DN.

P.S: DN turned out to be one of the best synths to create your own percussions. I didn’t expect to squeeze such a powerful and clean kick drum out of it.

4 Likes

Peace Tarikh, dope you from Leimert Park… I used to kick it there a lot back in the day… going to Project Blowed.
Respect bro
I’m Shiro Fujioka btw

1 Like

I agree. You can get some very unique tones out of the DN. Percussion is great too, you can make some decent snares / claps style sounds with it too. I really love it’s sequencer for my studio’s brain. All my recent song ideas are stemming from the DN for the most part.

^^ ^^

4 Likes

When you say that you use iPhone apps, do you mean that you sample them into the DT? I’ve heard some people are connecting tablets through MIDI but I have no clue how it works.

Are you connecting the DT and the DN together through MIDI and audio jack? Combination of both is the killer.